Amnesty Buyout Candidates

Derlique

I'm sure most of us are aware that the cap is going down significantly and we have an abundance of room. Not every team has the space we do and will certainly be unloading some guys.  Here are some guys that could help us-

Danny Briere- 2 years left: 6.5 million cap hit

David Booth- 2 years left: 4.25 mill cap hit

Danny Heatley- 1 year left: 7.5 mill cap hit

Rene Bourque- 3 years left: 3.33 mill cap hit

Milan Lucic-  3 years left: 6 million (this one is a stretch, but he has fallen out of favor in Beantown) 

Any of these guys interest you? Other suggestions? 

Briere was sick only a couple years ago.. He's good at sneaking behind the play and setting up on the far side of the net.. Maybe pairing with Kovy and Elias could give him the tools to succeed again? He also used to do very well on the Philly PP

lol there's less than 0% chance they'd buy out Lucic. Everyone in the league would line up for him. The only one on that list I'd want is Booth but I doubt they buy him out when they could just get rid of Luongo/Ballard instead

maybe Lucic, 6 mill is a stretch though. 

besides that i wouldn't get hard for any of those players.  Briere used to be pretty good, but whatever he's had certainly seems gone.  heatley isn't bad but getting old...

for as long as we've waiting for SOMETHING to happen, I would not want one of the players above to be our big siging (because I doubt we'd add another nice player after one of them)

Lucic has never fallen out of favor in Beantown. The Bruins will not buy him out.

It's fun to have a Lou Lam's he won't buy wish list,

Lets just hope Lou can re-sign Elias. Elias is the biggest UFA available and will get lots of offers if he gets to 7/1/13. Lou won't be a buyer of UFAs or buy-outs. Look at his history and he think this team should have made the playoffs without excuses.

Good luck to Lou we don't need another low scoring team, missing the playoffs two out of three years isn't a very good track record. We have had at least three years of a team that can't score.

Edited by LucifersDog

Briere would definitely be an interesting pick-up.  He plays with tenacity, he's skilled, and can score the dirty goal at the side of the net (ala Zach Parise), and New Jersey is NOT that far away from where he lives, so certainly, at the right price, I would do it...

Perhaps a two year, $7m deal would do it?  Let Clarkson walk, pick up Briere.

If there's one Flyer/constant I haven't hated, but have a whole lot of respect for in Philly all these years, it's Briere. I'm curious how many rings he would've had in his career if he didn't play for the Sabres and Flyers but on a team like the Blackhawks or Red Wings.

For the right price, I would take him in an instant. It'd be a nice F you to the Flyers too although I can't remember whether or not we've ever signed a player from the Flyers? Is that on Lou's no-fly list?

I don't think Booth will be a compliance buyout - the Canucks have Ballard to buyout first.  If they trade one of the goalies they're in fine shape for next year.

Ditto Rene Bourque, as he's playing pretty decent whereas Tomas Kaberle is a healthy scratch.  Montreal only has one compliance buyout left.

The problem with both Heatley and Briere is that I would not take either guy on a multi-year deal, but someone will give that to them.

Briere would definitely be an interesting pick-up.  He plays with tenacity, he's skilled, and can score the dirty goal at the side of the net (ala Zach Parise), and New Jersey is NOT that far away from where he lives, so certainly, at the right price, I would do it...

Perhaps a two year, $7m deal would do it?  Let Clarkson walk, pick up Briere.

Are you kidding me? Why in the world would we sign him @ $7M per? He's getting bought out at $6.5M. I don't want him because I think he's a sh!t head, but I wouldn't offer anything more than what he's getting now. I'd say $4-5M, he's OLD. Plus I doubt he puts up more than 50 points in a season here.

Are you kidding me? Why in the world would we sign him @ $7M per? He's getting bought out at $6.5M. I don't want him because I think he's a sh!t head, but I wouldn't offer anything more than what he's getting now. I'd say $4-5M, he's OLD. Plus I doubt he puts up more than 50 points in a season here.

I believe he's saying 2 years for a total of $7 million, so that would be 3.5M per season.

Let's look at Volchenkov from a business or sports team owner's perspective and correct my facts if I'm wrong:

Signed to a contract paying him $4.25 Million/year for 3 more years

Play level has fallen to the point where younger cheaper prospects could provide similar if not better level of play

Amnesty Buyout reduces budget line-item to $1.42 Million/year for 6 years while necessitating promoting a younger player getting paid $870k for a total cost of $2.29 Million/year for the first couple years

From looking at those facts I take the Amnesty Buyout almost every time because you're actually saving real dollars (almost $2 million worth) per year for the first 3 years and by the time you're left with the back end of the 3 years you'll have to assume that things won't be as tight otherwise you wouldn't want to be in this business in the first place. This deal gives you real money now in your pocket which is more important than small money being spent down the road.

• Like 1