Concerts

Devils Dose

They were all just in NYC last Saturday. Unfortunately I already had tix to a different show or else I would've liked to have checked them out.

I used to be a big Suicidal fan. Saw them many times. I know Mikey is the only guy left. How'd he and his band sound? Did they play a lot of old stuff? How Will I Laugh Tomorrow is one of my favorite albums ever.

The band themselves were pretty tight, skill-wise, but the sound was off.  The bass was really prevalent, and the guitars practically buried in the mix.

I chalked it up to a soundman issue at first, but they never did correct it...so maybe the band wanted it that way (?).

Mike's still a really energetic guy on stage, but his backing band surprised me as well.  They were all over the place.  Not quite up to the energy level of Sick Of It All (who are BEASTS on stage, and are still at the top of the game after all these years), but pretty darn impressive nonetheless.

Here's the setlist from the show...a good mixture of old and new (but nothing from the "Art Of Rebellion" or "Suicidal For Life" CDs):

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/suicidal-tendencies/2013/electric-factory-philadelphia-pa-33d83ca1.html

Although not noted, the drum solo and "Pledge..." were actually the encore.

Edited by NJCroMag
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got tickets to see Dropkick again, this time on August 21st at the Mann Center in Philadelphia.

Giving SERIOUS consideration to the Shindig Festival (Baltimore) on 9/14:  Dropkick Murphys, Gaslight Anthem, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reverend Horton Heat, Clutch, Joan Jett And The Blackhearts and others.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh snap. Gwar with Hatebreed just announced at Starland on September 15th.

oh man, i've always wanted to see GWAR!

Ill be seeing Gabriel Iglesias on the 28th at NJPAC

then no concerts really scheduled for the summer (sad)

Drew Carey @ Bananas in october

then Streetlight Manifesto in November @ Starland... so. happy

I saw the National at the Mann Center last week, really awesome.

Right now I don't have anything on my concert calendar, but I'm hoping to make the Made in America festival in early September, and I may wind up at the Fall Out Boy/Panic At The Disco show in Philly the week after that as well.

• Like 1

Right now there are three shows I want to go to this summer, and two of them are on the same night. :argh:

The first one is July 22nd, a band called Dio Disciples, which is a bunch of guys that played in bands with Ronnie James Dio with singer Tim "Ripper" Owens of Judas Priest and Iced Earth playing at Mexicali Live in Teaneck.  One of my coworkers is opening for them which is awesome because he grew up idolizing some of these guys.

The other bands I have to decide between are Pentagram and Black Sabbath on August 4th.  Black Sabbath will obviously be more expensive but Pentagram is all the way down in Philly.  Black Sabbath just came out with a new album so I'm afraid they'll be playing a lot of new stuff, but I just saw Pentagram play at Maryland Deathfest in Baltimore a couple weeks ago.  Going to be a tough decision.

By the way I just realized I never made a post about that Maryland Deathfest show.  It is a small four-day metal festival completely organized by just two regular guys, no big concert promoter or anything.  For just two normal guys they do a great job.  My friend has been begging me to go with him for a couple years, but I never went until this year because it's called "Deathfest" so I figured it was all death metal, but it's not.  They should call it "Maryland Metalfest."  Anyway, of the bands that were there, I highly suggest to any metalhead to check out the following bands:

Pagan Altar -- older band from the UK.  This was their first show in the US.  These guys came out with a demo in the early 80s and then didn't release a full album until I think the late 90s for whatever reason, but they were awesome.  Check out their Mythical and Magical album.

Manilla Road -- another old school metal band that for some reason never got big.  Check out their Crystal Logic album, you can find the entire album on YouTube.

Sleep -- slow doom/stoner metal band from the 90s.  Check out Holy Mountain.

Pentagram -- Sabbath-style metal that also for some reason never made it big.  Check out Relentless.

Also some other bands I saw that I didn't like as much as them but are also worth checking out if you're looking to find new bands are Sacred Reich (Check out The American Way), Midnight (Check out Satanic Royalty), and Venom (check out Black Metal).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone going to HEAVY MTL? I'm seriously considering going even if I go alone.

http://heavymtl.com/en/groupes/

Avenged Sevenfold, Rob Zombie, MEGADETH!, Godsmack, Danzig, ADTR, Black Label Society, At the Gates, and the list just goes on and on

That sounds amazing! Out of all those glorious bands, I've only seen Godsmack, Avenged Sevenfold and Indian Handcrafts. I'd love to see all of them, especially Halestorm. Seriously good music.

I have tickets to Five FInger Death Punch this fall, and I'm pretty excited. I saw them a couple years ago when they opened for Korn, and I'm happy to be seeing them again.

I'm hoping to get tickets to Alice in Chains w/ Monster Truck and Chevelle. What a glorious concert year this has been for me already.

Edit: Update- I just got those tickets for Alice in Chains. :)

Edited by raistlinmajere30
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I have been hitting the smaller venues like at the Count Basie Theater...

So far...

Took my older son to see Hammer of the Gods (Led Zep Tribute band)

George Carlin last show (sorry, not music)

Steve Miler Band and thinking about a show in October, A night with Alice Cooper.

I miss seeing Portnoy in Dream Theater.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

My wife and I have been hitting the smaller venues like at the Count Basie Theater...

So far...

Took my older son to see Hammer of the Gods (Led Zep Tribute band)

George Carlin last show (sorry, not music)

Steve Miler Band and thinking about a show in October, A night with Alice Cooper.

I miss seeing Portnoy in Dream Theater.

Saw Steve Miller at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO. Never smelled so much grass in my life. And that includes the time I was dragged to Dave Matthews at Hershey Park while I was still in college. Steve puts on a good show though.  He's still got something left in the tank.  He plays a lot of newer blues-ier stuff too.  

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

Saw Steve Miller at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO. Never smelled so much grass in my life.

LOL!!! Not a scent at the Count Basie...I do remember back in the day seeing Johnny Winter at the Passaic Theater and that smoke was pouring out into the street! ;)

Edited by Devlin

LOL!!! Not a scent at the Count Basie...I do remember back in the day seeing Johnny Winter at the Passaic Theater and that smoke was pouring out into the street! ;)

Do you mean the old Capitol Theatre in Passaic? I saw one show there in the mid-Eighties a few years before it closed for good. I also stood outside on line there a few times waiting for its Ticketmaster ticket box office window to open up in the morning.

Saw Steve Miller at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO. Never smelled so much grass in my life. And that includes the time I was dragged to Dave Matthews at Hershey Park while I was still in college. Steve puts on a good show though. He's still got something left in the tank. He plays a lot of newer blues-ier stuff too.

hell yea, red rocks is an unbelievable venue

Do you mean the old Capitol Theatre in Passaic? I saw one show there in the mid-Eighties a few years before it closed for good. I also stood outside on line there a few times waiting for its Ticketmaster ticket box office window to open up in the morning.

Yep...The Capital theater!! I had didn't even know it closed...all the classic places are closing down.

Same here, I waited because I was deciding between Sabbath and Pentagram and by the time I made up my mind, the lawn seats sold out.  There was a ticket on ebay earlier today with a buy it now of $65, hopefully passing up on that wasn't a mistake...

Anyway, about a week or two ago I saw Dio Disciples at Mexicali Live in Teaneck.  Dio Disciples is a cover band that consists of some of Ronnie James Dio's former bandmates and they play a bunch of old songs from Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath during the Dio years.  It was great to see such famous people performing in such a small intimate venue, I was literally right up against the stage, there wasn't even a barricade or anything like at most concert venues.  Even better is my coworker's band, Lethal Affection, opened for them so it was cool to see my buddy's band opening for these guys he grew up idolizing.  They finished their set with a cover of Judas Priest's Painkiller which they did a really good job with.  You can listen to some of their songs on their facebook page, my favorite is Taste of Anarchy.

Same here, I waited because I was deciding between Sabbath and Pentagram and by the time I made up my mind, the lawn seats sold out.  There was a ticket on ebay earlier today with a buy it now of $65, hopefully passing up on that wasn't a mistake...

Anyway, about a week or two ago I saw Dio Disciples at Mexicali Live in Teaneck.  Dio Disciples is a cover band that consists of some of Ronnie James Dio's former bandmates and they play a bunch of old songs from Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath during the Dio years.  It was great to see such famous people performing in such a small intimate venue, I was literally right up against the stage, there wasn't even a barricade or anything like at most concert venues.  Even better is my coworker's band, Lethal Affection, opened for them so it was cool to see my buddy's band opening for these guys he grew up idolizing.  They finished their set with a cover of Judas Priest's Painkiller which they did a really good job with.  You can listen to some of their songs on their facebook page, my favorite is Taste of Anarchy.

Sounds like it was a good show. I know Vivan Campbell, guitarist from Dio, has been making some noise lately, trying to get writing credits on some of the classic tunes and also touring with some of the old bandmates under the name Last in Line -- but I assume he was not involved with Dio Disciples?

I live about 10 minutes away from Mexicali Live. Been there a few times. Definitely a cool place to see a show.

Nah he wasn't there, it was Mark Boals and Oni Logan singing (Tim "Ripper" Owens is also a singer but wasn't at this show.  Boals was a guest singer for a few shows I guess in Ripper's place), Craig Goldy playing guitar, Bjorn Englen on bass, Scott Warren on keyboard, and Vinny Appice playing drums (in place of usual drummer Simon Wright).

This was my first time at that place.  It was a longer drive than I thought for me, but definitely a good venue.

EDIT:  Here's the setlist

Edited by devilsfan26