2012-13 Devils Trade Bait

titleofusername98

If you're drafted from the US College system, and you don't sign with your team for 4 years, then you're a free agent. So there is a ticking clock, it just doesn't have to do with a contract.

Arthur Staple@StapeNewsday

As for the "Justin Schultz" CBA rule (four years from draft year to sign a contract), #NHL proposed extending that time, and PA rejected it.

Thanks

So there is the risk that if he plays his final year at Michigan we can lose the opportunity to sign him.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks

So there is the risk that if he plays his final year at Michigan we can lose the opportunity to sign him.

Yes, he could do that.

I think it's unlikely though. If you're Merrill, you probably realize that you came close to never having an NHL career if your neck had been broken worse than it was. If you do realize this then you'd jump on the guaranteed $1+ million rather than risk losing all that money just so you can pick which team you play on.

I don't want to trade for Bobby Ryan. Only for the simple reason that he's shown that his heart lies in Philly. Obviously, his mind could be changed, but Im not enthusiastic about trading for him unless he showed that he wanted to come here and stay. I'd also rather not trade for a rental like Getzlaf or Perry (both of whom I'd be fine with on this team) unless they were interesting in re-signing, or Lou swings a Kovy-type deal that he got from Waddell.

I agree with 7 in respect to the "type" of trade I'd like to see. Making trades for Poni types (3rd line type guys) is a lateral move IMO, espc when we don't have Parise anymore. This is going to be a weaker team offensively most likely and if we're going to trade for a forward, I want it to be a guy that will have an impact on one of the top 2 lines and to get that guy we will have to make a sacrifice and I'd rather that trade be for a guy that is a relative "sure-thing" and not a "let's hope he can" situation or a reclamation project.

I think every single player in this organization is potential trade bait right now except for Larsson, Henrique, and Kovy. Anyone else, including all prospects, should be and have to be IMO included in any discussion regarding a trade, obviously depending on whoever the target is and what the needs of the trade partner are.

I don't want to trade for Bobby Ryan. Only for the simple reason that he's shown that his heart lies in Philly. Obviously, his mind could be changed, but Im not enthusiastic about trading for him unless he showed that he wanted to come here and stay. I'd also rather not trade for a rental like Getzlaf or Perry (both of whom I'd be fine with on this team) unless they were interesting in re-signing, or Lou swings a Kovy-type deal that he got from Waddell.

I agree with 7 in respect to the "type" of trade I'd like to see. Making trades for Poni types (3rd line type guys) is a lateral move IMO, espc when we don't have Parise anymore. This is going to be a weaker team offensively most likely and if we're going to trade for a forward, I want it to be a guy that will have an impact on one of the top 2 lines and to get that guy we will have to make a sacrifice and I'd rather that trade be for a guy that is a relative "sure-thing" and not a "let's hope he can" situation or a reclamation project.

I think every single player in this organization is potential trade bait right now except for Larsson, Henrique, and Kovy. Anyone else, including all prospects, should be and have to be IMO included in any discussion regarding a trade, obviously depending on whoever the target is and what the needs of the trade partner are.

As for the entire organization being trade bait, I strongly disagree. Lou has shown that he can be patient and isn't going to blow up a team that went on a Cup run last year. If we do see another signing/acquisition it will be another Butler or Darche type deal. Mid season, then I think we could see a Ponikarovsky/Zidlicky deal go through

Edited by cgb6397

As for the entire organization being trade bait, I strongly disagree. Lou has shown that he can be patient and isn't going to blow up a team that went on a Cup run last year. If we do see another signing/acquisition it will be another Butler or Darche type deal. Mid season, then I think we could see a Ponikarovsky/Zidlicky deal go through

Why would he have to "blow up" anything to get a stronger player? We're not going to be trading for Crosby. I agree that if any deal is made its going to be the type you suggest, but it also depends on the market. These lateral moves aren't going to make up for what we lost with Zach's departure.

We got Kovy without blowing up anything. Same with Zidlicky. Both of those deals made us better. More Mathieu Darche's aren't. We have enough 3rd/4th line cogs. We need a top 2 guy.

I don't want to trade for Bobby Ryan. Only for the simple reason that he's shown that his heart lies in Philly. Obviously, his mind could be changed, but Im not enthusiastic about trading for him unless he showed that he wanted to come here and stay.

Ugh, give me a break with this crap. Who cares if he's originally a Philly fan? That has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not NJ would want to bring him over in a trade. Personally, I don't think that NJ even has the assets to do so. But I guarantee you if they did and if they wanted to bring him here, Lou wouldn't say "No way, he used to be a Flyers fan, ewwww." Many, many players get traded to places they don't initially want to go to and are still successful there. This gets brought up fairly often, but Scott Stevens really did not want to come here when he was first awarded to us and fought the decision. We all know how that turned out.

I don't think a Bobby Ryan trade to NJ trade could possibly happen right now anyway, so it's probably a moot point, but still.

But who? Who are we going to sacrifice that would net us a superstar player in return? We simply don't have the kind of assets right now to make a trade for a 1st line player without completely devastating the rest of the team. Lou, Deboer, and co. have made it pretty clear that the team's mindset right now is not to replace Parise with one guy. What we need to do is pick up one or two forwards that can fill out the team's depth so that we don't have our 4th liners from last year playing on our 3rd line and goons and scrubs filling out our 4th line. Picking up a mid-level forward who can contribute some points via trade or maybe taking a shot at Gomez (or both) is going to be the best we can do, and honestly, I think we will be fine on offense, assuming we can stay healthy. Our defense is still great and, well, hopefully Marty is still good enough.

Ugh, give me a break with this crap. Who cares if he's originally a Philly fan? That has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not NJ would want to bring him over in a trade. Personally, I don't think that NJ even has the assets to do so. But I guarantee you if they did and if they wanted to bring him here, Lou wouldn't say "No way, he used to be a Flyers fan, ewwww." Many, many players get traded to places they don't initially want to go to and are still successful there. This gets brought up fairly often, but Scott Stevens really did not want to come here when he was first awarded to us and fought the decision. We all know how that turned out.

I look at it from my own perspective. If I'm a pro hockey player, I'm not going to be as enthusiastic about playing and staying in the same division for the rival of my team growing up. Ryan's contract is up in '15. I dont want to consider the risk of losing him to Philthy. These guys are still fans! I don't care who he's a fan of. It's more what he's said recently in respect to his future. He WANTS Philly. That's not to say he wouldnt play here, but I'd rather look into other potential moves first.

But who? Who are we going to sacrifice that would net us a superstar player in return? We simply don't have the kind of assets right now to make a trade for a 1st line player without completely devastating the rest of the team. Lou, Deboer, and co. have made it pretty clear that the team's mindset right now is not to replace Parise with one guy. What we need to do is pick up one or two forwards that can fill out the team's depth so that we don't have our 4th liners from last year playing on our 3rd line and goons and scrubs filling out our 4th line. Picking up a mid-level forward who can contribute some points via trade or maybe taking a shot at Gomez (or both) is going to be the best we can do, and honestly, I think we will be fine on offense, assuming we can stay healthy. Our defense is still great and, well, hopefully Marty is still good enough.

Our prospect pool is our position of strength right now. What did we get Kovy for? A bucket of wings and a cigarette? It completely depends on who we're trading for as well. Obviously, any move we make will have to be a package deal with futures involved. I have no idea who's available for trade aside from the same names that were available last year. None of our prospects are sure things. Everyone overrates our prospects. How's Corrente turned out? Howbout Bergfors? Tedenby? All fanbases overrate their own pieces, so its not a knock, but where we are right now, if we have a chance to bring in a guy (and if it is Ryan, Im not against the move) who is a sure-fire threat offensively, we take the risk of trading a potentially good player (or two) whose value is high since there's virtually nothing on the main roster that we can offer aside from an enhancement piece (i.e. Tallinder). I don't know the value of our prospects, so it obviously depends on our trading partner.

Why would he have to "blow up" anything to get a stronger player? We're not going to be trading for Crosby. I agree that if any deal is made its going to be the type you suggest, but it also depends on the market. These lateral moves aren't going to make up for what we lost with Zach's departure.

We got Kovy without blowing up anything. Same with Zidlicky. Both of those deals made us better. More Mathieu Darche's aren't. We have enough 3rd/4th line cogs. We need a top 2 guy.

Well just suggesting that "any guy" with the exception of those you mentioned is trade bait is way too much for me. Personally, I think we're looking at "replacing" Zach the wrong way. I think we had to replace Poni, which we did (or attempted to) with Butler. As for making up for Zach's departure, I just think we have to set Kovalchuk up to score as much as possible, I think a big 30 something goal season could be in the cards for Kovalchuk (or whatever the conversion would be for about a 50 goal season in 82 games) And from there, having Zajac in the lineup will add some offense, and we have to expect a big game from at least Josefson OR Tedenby.

It is only for his rights, but if he won't sign, why waste time for him just to become a FA instead of trying to get some type of compensation for him?

because he's not UFA for awhile and he's one of the best young forwards in the league. Unless you wanna trade Larsson for him, it ain't happening

Is he worth $5 million with only 3 years of experience, but has increased point totals year to year?

If he can do this, I don't mind at all giving him that much

because he's not UFA for awhile and he's one of the best young forwards in the league. Unless you wanna trade Larsson for him, it ain't happening

But even if they tender his offer, and he does not sign by a date (not too sure when it is this year) he becomes a UFA for next year

If he can do this, I don't mind at all giving him that much

But even if they tender his offer, and he does not sign by a date (not too sure when it is this year) he becomes a UFA for next year

I honestly think Butler has the potential to put up 40-50 points, 20 goals. If that's the case, he's almost on pace with Benn. Might not need him for that hefty tag, especially with the cap going down next year and Zajac coming on UFA

I honestly think Butler has the potential to put up 40-50 points, 20 goals. If that's the case, he's almost on pace with Benn. Might not need him for that hefty tag, especially with the cap going down next year and Zajac coming on UFA

We've got a LOT coming on UFA next year. Clarkson as well. Elias is also likely not going to make the same amount. There's plenty of cap space and more coming off to allow, even a big move, if we wanted. We attempted to sign Zach to absurd money. Benn is absolutely worth spending for. He's exactly what we could use and I truly believe that we wouldn't miss Zach that much once the chemistry came. This is exactly the type of guy you're not supposed to be able to get easily. Obviously, we're pretty much all pipe dreaming, but if his current contract situation allowed us to snatch up his rights, we do it.

Having both Benn and Butler (and Butler performs), hell yes. I'd say so long to Clarkson without much more than a "thanks, bye".

Edited by ghdi

DeBoer said he and the rest of the Devils can’t wait for Kovalchuk to get back on the ice with them.

“I talked to Marty (Brodeur) and I don’t think Marty had a shot against him in the scrimmage, so I think everyone will be happy Ilya will be here,” DeBoer said. “He’s a great player and he’s a good team guy, so it’s a dead issue as far as I’m concerned.”

The Devils definitely have looked thin up front through the first three days of training camp without Kovalchuk and with Adam Henrique still recovering from surgery on his left thumb.

“He’s critical,” DeBoer said. “He creates offense for us and when he’s on the ice the other team is on their heels and aware. It’s not even what he does individually. It’s the subtle plays he makes that creates offense for other guys down the ice. So, he generates a lot of our offensive opportunities and it will be nice to see him back out here.”

Brodeur would love to face him in the scrimmage Wednesday.“The last two scrimmages, I think I got one shot on net,” Brodeur said. “If he (plays), hopefully he won’t play on my team so I get a couple of shots.”

http://blogs.northje...ecting_captain/

I know its only camp, its early doors, lines are all new and everything else, but this quote does not fill me with confidence. I think we could definitely use another piece in the top 6.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

http://blogs.northje...ecting_captain/

I know its only camp, its early doors, lines are all new and everything else, but this quote does not fill me with confidence. I think we could definitely use another piece in the top 6.

well thats obvious that we need another top 6 players.

in 48 games im guessing this production

Kovy 22

Zajac 12

Elias 13

Clarkson 11

Butler 11

Henrique 8 (considering he's gonna miss some time)

Josefson 5

Zubrus 10

Darche 3

Carter 3

Gionta 3

Bernier 3

Barche 0

Larsson 3

Greene 2

Volchenkov 0

Salvador 0

Fayne 1

Harrold 1

Zidlicky 3

Tallinder 2

so thats not a whole lot of goals, we're in deep trouble and we can't always sit down all calm saying that the Devils did it before and that they always find a way. Thats not a guarantee at all. Some guys will have to step up BIG TIME.

(im actually gonna keep this and see how off or right i was at the end of the year)

well thats obvious that we need another top 6 players.

in 48 games im guessing this production

Kovy 22

Zajac 12

Elias 13

Clarkson 11

Butler 11

Henrique 8 (considering he's gonna miss some time)

Josefson 5

Zubrus 10

Darche 3

Carter 3

Gionta 3

Bernier 3

Barche 0

Larsson 3

Greene 2

Volchenkov 0

Salvador 0

Fayne 1

Harrold 1

Zidlicky 3

Tallinder 2

so thats not a whole lot of goals, we're in deep trouble and we can't always sit down all calm saying that the Devils did it before and that they always find a way. Thats not a guarantee at all. Some guys will have to step up BIG TIME.

(im actually gonna keep this and see how off or right i was at the end of the year)

Is it though? from the sounds of things at camp and from the staff they are happy to run with what we have initially.

Is it though? from the sounds of things at camp and from the staff they are happy to run with what we have initially.

i don't see them saying otherwise...

They will always to improve if they can... but i don't see a coach in NJ saying that the group isn't strong enough...

Im optimist... i've seen this team without parise and they were able to perform... Bobby butler will score some goal jj will improve his scoring and ourself as a team we will get enough goal majority of the game. I think if we have the chance we can improve, if not im confident with what we have.

And mattias tedenby is a dark horse there... he is small not that strong etc.... but he can score goals for sure

Edited by caron14

it's not only that im looking at our roster and see that theres things missing... im looking at all the teams around us and they all seem to have wayyyy deeper offensive then us.

yes we have a deep group of dman... one of them is a scoring defensemen and the rest are mostly so and so good all around or stay home. We won't have much help from the Ds in term of scoring, while other teams have established offensive dman.

plus with our goalies we might have to score a little bit more to cover for them. We absolutely need more help with scoring.