Marty's Quote at trade deadline

EdgeControl

Welcome to 1998.  God, that Barenaked Ladies 'One Week' song sure is annoying, huh?  And how's about the President and Monica Lewinsky?  Crazy stuff.

Marty's issue is that he is bad and has not been good for 3 years.  

Glad to see you still have your head up your a$$ Tri.  

Injuries aside, he has done a very good job in keeping a team that can't score competitive the past few years.  

The only thing he has been guilty of here is trying to live up to an impossible standard that he himself has set.

Injuries aside, he has done a very good job in keeping a team that can't score competitive the past few years.  

The only thing he has been guilty of here is trying to live up to an impossible standard that he himself has set.

I don't think anyone here is expecting him to be as good as he was in his prime. Hell, I was only hoping he'd be league average and he's not even that. He's among the worst goalies statistically in the league. That's the problem.

I don't think anyone here is expecting him to be as good as he was in his prime. Hell, I was only hoping he'd be league average and he's not even that. He's among the worst goalies statistically in the league. That's the problem.

The stats are pretty bad of recent, Earlier in the season he was leading the league is Save % and GAA.  The difference now is that he is has collected rust because PDB is using Schnieder more and he is out of sync.  

My point was he now has something to prove and I think, based on history, he will rise to the occassion.   That was all.     

The stats are pretty bad of recent, Earlier in the season he was leading the league is Save % and GAA.  The difference now is that he is has collected rust because PDB is using Schnieder more and he is out of sync.  

My point was he now has something to prove and I think, based on history, he will rise to the occassion.   That was all.     

Stop making sh!t up. I don't even think Brodeur's numbers were better than Cory's...even at Brodeur's highest, and Cory's lowest.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

Yep -- that's what I was going to say.  I was actually content with average.  A little less than average isn't good but I'd take that even -- but when you add the self-righteous blather and finger pointing, then some sort of action has to be taken.

In bold:  no he wasn't.  I think his save% was up to .919 at one point when he went on his November run.  It's .899 overall now.  Do the math. 

Are you MartyRay or MantaRay?  I've defended him a lot through the years, but c'mon man, Marty has not really been good overall since the beginning of last season.  I can find ways to make 2010-11 and 2011-12 look pretty good.  I can't do it for 2012-13 and this season.

Stop making sh!t up. I don't even think Brodeur's numbers were better than Cory's...even at Brodeur's highest, and Cory's lowest.

What a difference a few months makes in a season.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Brodeur understands Schneider’s frustration; Devils’ rally falls short again in 4-3 loss to Carolina

If there’s anyone that understands Cory Schneider’s point of view, it’s Martin Brodeur.

Both Devils goaltenders want to play a lot. Unfortunately, only one of them can at time and Brodeur’s been getting most of the starts lately.

He started and lost his third in a row tonight, giving up four goals on 22 shots in a 4-3 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes at Prudential Center.

Brodeur, who has started 11 of the last 15, had been hot. In his previous 10 starts, he had been 7-3-0 with a 1.51 goals-against average, .938 save percentage and two shutouts. Schneider, 27 understood that, but still said he was very surprised” that Brodeur got the start again tonight and “frustrated” that he is again in a situation in which he’s not playing a lot.

He’s made just four starts since returning on Nov. 3 in Minnesota from a lower-body injury.

“It’s Groundhog Day for me,” said Schneider, who ranked fourth in the NHL with a 1.87 goals-against average prior to tonight’s games. “I can’t seem to escape it. I’m just trying to work hard and do what I can. I’d just like to see the ice a bit more is all.”

Edited by MantaRay

In bold:  no he wasn't.  I think his save% was up to .919 at one point when he went on his November run.  It's .899 overall now.  Do the math. 

Are you MartyRay or MantaRay?  I've defended him a lot through the years, but c'mon man, Marty has not really been good overall since the beginning of last season.  I can find ways to make 2010-11 and 2011-12 look pretty good.  I can't do it for 2012-13 and this season.

See above

What a difference a few months makes in a season.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Brodeur understands Schneider’s frustration; Devils’ rally falls short again in 4-3 loss to Carolina

If there’s anyone that understands Cory Schneider’s point of view, it’s Martin Brodeur.

Both Devils goaltenders want to play a lot. Unfortunately, only one of them can at time and Brodeur’s been getting most of the starts lately.

He started and lost his third in a row tonight, giving up four goals on 22 shots in a 4-3 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes at Prudential Center.

Brodeur, who has started 11 of the last 15, had been hot. In his previous 10 starts, he had been 7-3-0 with a 1.51 goals-against average, .938 save percentage and two shutouts. Schneider, 27 understood that, but still said he was very surprised” that Brodeur got the start again tonight and “frustrated” that he is again in a situation in which he’s not playing a lot.

He’s made just four starts since returning on Nov. 3 in Minnesota from a lower-body injury.

“It’s Groundhog Day for me,” said Schneider, who ranked fourth in the NHL with a 1.87 goals-against average prior to tonight’s games. “I can’t seem to escape it. I’m just trying to work hard and do what I can. I’d just like to see the ice a bit more is all.”

What is your point? Schneider had better numbers at that point, which was Brodeur at his best and Cory at his lowest point. 

the other thing is it's not a case of just wanting to play.  Dano -- THAT is just wanting to play - the man played pick-up games in local leagues with no hype or folderal.  THAT is just wanting to play.  He seemed embarrassed to be put on ice in his final playoff run.  THAT is wanting to PLAY HOCKEY.  Tommy Albelin - THAT is just wanting to be in the NHL.  That is commendable - insane, but sincere and realistic in it's crazy way. 

If you want to play you don't want to screw things up.  and playing anywhere is a blast.  I understand that kind of desire to play -- but this, this is just demanding to be number one - it's got this weird sense of ungrounded entitlement.  The expression is over-used but wow -- what else fits?

What is your point? Schneider had better numbers at that point, which was Brodeur at his best and Cory at his lowest point. 

See if you cut out the first 4 games of Brodeur's season - you know, the ones where he was awful and cost NJ a shot to win in all 4 - then Brodeur was better at that point.

See above

Jesus H, I've pointed out that 10-game stretch constantly...in this friggin' THREAD as well...and how it (somewhat understandably) clouded the goalie situation for a while.  You're not breaking any new ground here.  Unfortunately for Marty, that's been the anomaly over the past two seasons, not the norm.  He has a .900 save% over the past two seasons combined, in 59 GP.  He had a .935 save% in that 10 game-burst.  Do the friggin' math...how do you think he played overall in the other 49 games? 

Injuries aside, he has done a very good job in keeping a team that can't score competitive the past few years.

He hasn't kept anything afloat this year, the Devils score 3+ goals per game in his starts (4+ goals in his wins) while Cory gets under 2 goals per game.

the other thing is it's not a case of just wanting to play. Dano -- THAT is just wanting to play - the man played pick-up games in local leagues with no hype or folderal. THAT is just wanting to play. He seemed embarrassed to be put on ice in his final playoff run. THAT is wanting to PLAY HOCKEY. Tommy Albelin - THAT is just wanting to be in the NHL. That is commendable - insane, but sincere and realistic in it's crazy way.

If you want to play you don't want to screw things up. and playing anywhere is a blast. I understand that kind of desire to play -- but this, this is just demanding to be number one - it's got this weird sense of ungrounded entitlement. The expression is over-used but wow -- what else fits?

This is so spot-on. If Marty 'just wanted to play' and really just wanted to keep living the lifestyle of an NHL player and be part of a team and have that camaraderie with his teammates- all the things NHL players love about being NHL players- he'd understand the situation, be willing to take a back seat for the good of the team, and help Cory out if he needs it. Be happy playing 20-25 games and being a backup and understand the situation is what it is. He isn't doing that. Instead he runs to Lou and cries that he wants and expects playoff games. Ya know what- fvck you Marty. That would've been my reply to him and his sense of entitlement. All he cares about is being THE guy, and that's clearer than ever. Its all about Marty, and that's sad.

As I said earlier, Marty is completely capable of turning this into a very ugly situation.

If it comes to the point it is effecting the room, then slap his ass on waivers. The only team I see grabbing him is the Islanders and that would be fun to watch.

Folks, I think it has been ugly for awhile and it's gonna get worse. Although if Lou made some agreement about playing games, it might smooth over the situation at the expense of costing the team some points.

Edited by hystyk28

i feel bad for Marty here. a lot of this stems from the outdoor game when he was hung out to dry on all those 2 and 3 on 1s.

I don't think that at all, it started long before the outdoor game. Many question why he started the outdoor game, he hadn't earned it per DeBoer's criteria and that was because the Devils felt they owed him one. Then Marty decided to sh!t on the Devils with his mouth. Too bad.