GDT: Philadelphia Flyers @ New Jersey Devils 7pm

njdevil26

They blew and they deserve to be criticized, but I think some of the overreactions are ridiculous. It's one game.

Isn't this how LAST SEASON Started. "Oh don't worry, the Devils will turn it on and be in the playoffs..." Cue Johnny Mac being canned, cue: "So close, but no cigar", cue my prediction: Defense will suffer because of Kovalchuk. Wasn't Kovy a -3? Oh wait those stats are horrible and not a TRUE representation of how a player played. How many times did Kovalchuk just hop over the boards to accidentally be on the ice for a goal. I bet it ryhmes with "HERO"... How many times did Kovy 1/2 arse it back to get the puck or try to hook someone from teh point. Give it time and you'll see!

I predict one or the other is gone from the team by August of next year: Parise or Brodeur. NOT both, but one. We'll see though. My Magic Eight Ball keeps telling me to 'come back later.'

Isn't this how LAST SEASON Started. "Oh don't worry, the Devils will turn it on and be in the playoffs..." Cue Johnny Mac being canned, cue: "So close, but no cigar", cue my prediction: Defense will suffer because of Kovalchuk. Wasn't Kovy a -3? Oh wait those stats are horrible and not a TRUE representation of how a player played. How many times did Kovalchuk just hop over the boards to accidentally be on the ice for a goal. I bet it ryhmes with "HERO"... How many times did Kovy 1/2 arse it back to get the puck or try to hook someone from teh point. Give it time and you'll see!

I predict one or the other is gone from the team by August of next year: Parise or Brodeur. NOT both, but one. We'll see though. My Magic Eight Ball keeps telling me to 'come back later.'

This is really myopic. This season is 1 game old. We saw the Devils turn it on in the 2nd half the season with almost the same roster. Your post is mostly a diatribe against Kovy. While he did not play particularly good at all, he wasn't the only bad player tonight. The team was sluggish and not prepared.

I'm usually an optimist, but that was just bad and it makes me worried. I understand this is our first game and Philly played on Thursday, but we had nothing going on. We also had a hard time scoring in the preseason, and this is largely the same team that was last in goals last year.

Its infuriating because on paper we should be able to score goals, but its just not translating. Sure, this is game 1, but even a team having an off night on opening day should be able to muster more chances than we did. It seems like there is an underlying fundamental problem in this team's ability to produce offense, and it's one which transcends the "our shooting percentage eventually has to improve" argument.

• Like 1

OK there are 81 games left. Marty had a good night. The Devils were not prepared to play an AHL team let alone the Flyers, who fault is that? Loss of one center doesn't make an entire team not be ready to play. PP wasn't there. Hitting wasn't there. Excuses: 1) Flyers played a game already, BS 2) Refs were mot that good, BS 3) Zajac was missing, BS the team wasn't ready to play NHL hockey, period. Marty showed up but everyone else took the night off.

Who's afraid of taking a hit, the Devils. Who doesn't want to hit, the Devils. Who doesn't want to come down the lanes and crash the net, the Devils. Who can't pass from the defensive zone to the offensive zone, the Devils. We played exactly as we did during pre season games, the Devils. Who doesn't have a PP, the Devils?

It's only game 1, by the time the team gets it together Marty will be tired.

Well the Flyers are a good team, and, so far, the Devils are not a good team, so a 3-0 score doesn't surprise me. I only just watched the highlights this morning as I'm in Europe for the year, so I couldn't see the whole game but it looked like it was a really badly-played defensive game. Marty had a good night, but the Devils seemed to be on the backcheck all night and even when they were they weren't really on the puck. Looks like there's not much chemistry on D and they need some more communication. I think it'll be interesting to see how Pete DeBoer is able to work with them this year.

OK there are 81 games left. Marty had a good night. The Devils were not prepared to play an AHL team let alone the Flyers, who fault is that? Loss of one center doesn't make an entire team not be ready to play. PP wasn't there. Hitting wasn't there. Excuses: 1) Flyers played a game already, BS 2) Refs were mot that good, BS 3) Zajac was missing, BS the team wasn't ready to play NHL hockey, period. Marty showed up but everyone else took the night off.

Who's afraid of taking a hit, the Devils. Who doesn't want to hit, the Devils. Who doesn't want to come down the lanes and crash the net, the Devils. Who can't pass from the defensive zone to the offensive zone, the Devils. We played exactly as we did during pre season games, the Devils. Who doesn't have a PP, the Devils?

It's only game 1, by the time the team gets it together Marty will be tired.

I don't buy they weren't ready to play last night.

They were ready to play the best game this team could play. Newsflash: They aren't very good, and the Flyers are an extremely solid team.

Look at our forward lines...they are mismatched, mislotted, undersized, VERY young,and so on. The Flyers have no rookies taking on big roles, in fact they have guys in their primes taking on big roles, or solid reliable vets.

I don't buy they weren't ready to play last night.

They were ready to play the best game this team could play. Newsflash: They aren't very good, and the Flyers are an extremely solid team.

Look at our forward lines...they are mismatched, mislotted, undersized, VERY young,and so on. The Flyers have no rookies taking on big roles, in fact they have guys in their primes taking on big roles, or solid reliable vets.

M. Read: 15:54

S. Couturier: 14:00

anything else you want to get wrong? Or do you want me to mention all the other players under the age of 25 playing big roles on the Flyers? Or people over 35? In fact, the Flyers have a lot of players decidedly not in their primes on their team, which is why trading Richards and Carter was so bizarre.

I only saw the first period, they were not good, but the Flyers are not 'extremely solid', nor is NJ 'not very good'.

wellpppp that sucked ass. i was afraid no one was gonna find a way to put the puck in the net. we looked disoriented.. and i hope its just cuz it was our first game... but still, it was against a flyers team that i would have loved to not get completely abused by

anything else you want to get wrong? Or do you want me to mention all the other players under the age of 25 playing big roles on the Flyers? Or people over 35? In fact, the Flyers have a lot of players decidedly not in their primes on their team, which is why trading Richards and Carter was so bizarre.

I only saw the first period, they were not good, but the Flyers are not 'extremely solid', nor is NJ 'not very good'.

Bizarre in a way...but while the Flyers were changing everything up front, they didn't touch their defense and improved their goaltending by leaps and bounds. And if they had one area to trade from, it was scoring.

I don't know how you can say the Flyers aren't solid with that defense/goaltending and still a lot of good scoring forwards (not to mention actual grit and physicality in their top three lines, a concept foreign to us). Maybe they won't be solid in two-three years depending on what happens on D but they're plenty good enough now. As far as the Devils, all I'm gonna say is they BETTER win tomorrow, at home against a clear non-playoff team. Or I'm gonna be on the 75-80 point we're doomed bandwagon.

Edited by NJDevs4978

C'mon Tri. Don't throw minutes and me suggest these guys are playing important roles. We're asking Palmeri, Henrique, Josefson, Teddy, Mills to do something, anything.

I consider guys like Voracek, Simmons, Jvr, Giroux who YES are all under 25 - which used to be considered not in their primes...it is now. We have Parise, who's playing with linemates who don't mesh with him. We also have Kovalchuk...who doesn't mesh with anyone ever it seems, and is great defensively.

These guys are light years ahead of where the Devils are.

Bizarre in a way...but while the Flyers were changing everything up front, they didn't touch their defense and improved their goaltending by leaps and bounds. And if they had one area to trade from, it was scoring.

I don't know how you can say the Flyers aren't solid with that defense/goaltending and still a lot of good scoring forwards (not to mention actual grit and physicality in their top three lines, a concept foreign to us). Maybe they won't be solid in two-three years depending on what happens on D but they're plenty good enough now. As far as the Devils, all I'm gonna say is they BETTER win tomorrow, at home against a clear non-playoff team. Or I'm gonna be on the 75-80 point we're doomed bandwagon.

Nailed it.

Our D is still horrible. I'm happy we have Larsson.

Salvador and Volechnkov couldn't move the puck at all. In a perfect world we want Tallinder with Larsson, but can't - because Fayne can't keep be totally trusted yet to be with Greene.

Greene needs to be protected too, but again, we need to ask more of him because the depth is oy.

C'mon Tri. Don't throw minutes and me suggest these guys are playing important roles. We're asking Palmeri, Henrique, Josefson, Teddy, Mills to do something, anything.

You've named 2 players who started out on the 3rd line, and two guys who started out on the 4th line. Meanwhile, I cite two guys who played a quarter of the game and they're not playing important roles. Tedenby played under 10 minutes last night.

I consider guys like Voracek, Simmons, Jvr, Giroux who YES are all under 25 - which used to be considered not in their primes...it is now. We have Parise, who's playing with linemates who don't mesh with him. We also have Kovalchuk...who doesn't mesh with anyone ever it seems, and is great defensively.

The idea that Parise and Elias don't mesh is totally insane and I suggest remembering the 07-08 season for a refresher. Sykora might not mesh with those two, I can't speak to that, but the two best players on the line have definitely been very successful together.

These guys are light years ahead of where the Devils are.

Nonsense. The notion that NJ's defense is terrible is laughable too.

Edited by Triumph

The Flyers are a better team this year then the Devils, at least on paper. There's definitively some chemistry issues up top so far, and the defense looked shaky as well last night. Larsson looks awesome though, I predict Norris trophys.

I'm mostly worried about our lack of quality centers. Kovy needs a high end playmaker to rack em up.

Game 1 of 82. They didn't look great but I am not going to panic yet.

Teddy didn't look good but Larsson looked very good. I imagine there will be games this year when he(Larsson) is awful so lets not declare him a bust after a -4 night which might happen sometimes.

Edited by devilsadvoc8

From what I saw last night... too many giveaways and dumb penalties.

The good news is those can be corrected. The bad news is those were largely the problems in the preseason and they didn't correct them yet.

I would like to see Deboer bail on the new system for now and just get the defensive side of the game down pat and then build from there... like what Lemaire did when he took over.

The Devils are slow. Really slow. They also looked like they did at beginning of last season, very out of shape.

The Bad, at least some of it.

Zubrus looked god awful. Tedenby is just too small, nowhere near as fast as other effective players in the league at his stature. Fayne looked really nervous.Palmieri was atrocious.

The D as a unit was slow to react to drop passes and any other plays that created time and space.Sykora looked slow and lost at times.Kovy was 2010 Kovy.

The Good.

Elias played a solid game, including being more physical. Larson looks so poised, only gonna get better. henrique is still my diamond in the rough. Jj was solid also. For all the Clarkson haters, you must not have watched the first half of the game, as he was clearly the best forward for the Devils.

Chrissy Pronger gets away with murder out there, the way he swings his stick, I am amazed he doesn't really hurt someone. Bolton should have removed all his teeth with an elbow.