NHL Playoffs on 4 channels in U.S.

95Crash

I was watching the Bolts-Flyers game on NBC Sports Network last night, and they ran a commercial saying that here in the U.S. the 2012 NHL Playoffs are going to be shown on NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC and NHL Network. Does anyone know if that means ALL of the games will be covered by any one of those channels? Or is it possible that some games will still be available only on the NHL Package? I can't find a link to confirm any of it.

There are not enough channels for the first round. There's a chance that in the second round, when there are 8 matchups, that they can manage, depending on timezones.

If there is a Devils-Panthers first round matchup, I wouldn't expect any national attention unless there's a Game 7.

The only thing that is changed there as opposed to previous years is CNBC. Depending upon the nightly schedule, every game could be on one of the four. It's pretty much guaranteed that 4 series will start in the Eastern TZ, 2 in the Central, 2 in the Western. If every night features 2E, 1C, 1W, you should be good. If there is a 5 game weeknight, one game will probably get bumped.

Edit: I put Detroit in the Central Time Zone for some reason, so it could be 5/1/2 but the logistics remain the same.

Edited by BCdevil

CNBC = catch-all NBC channel for things they don't deem important enough for NBC Sports Channel and broadcast NBC (channel 4)

they did that with some of the less interesting events in the Olympics

We will prob get thrown there if NBC covers our games

If the game is on the NHL network, then I am not sure but it may be the local feed? Not everyone has the NHL network, so they may carry it locally.

That is true, they can simulcast it. But I have seen NHL Channel Produce it themselves - prob will do. I guess we will find out April 11

I think some have NHL Network exclusivity, but the great majority will be on somewhere on the NBC channels. They manage to televise a bunch of NCAA tournament games in the first two rounds on four channels.

I'm sure they could do all the games on four channels considering at most there are five games in one night in the first round, and at least one or two are WC games so they won't overlap with all the 7-8 PM games.

Edited by NJDevs4978

There are not enough channels for the first round. There's a chance that in the second round, when there are 8 matchups, that they can manage, depending on timezones.

If there is a Devils-Panthers first round matchup, I wouldn't expect any national attention unless there's a Game 7.

There are eight matchups in the first round, and usually half are on one day, and half the other.

CNBC = catch-all NBC channel for things they don't deem important enough for NBC Sports Channel and broadcast NBC (channel 4)

they did that with some of the less interesting events in the Olympics

We will prob get thrown there if NBC covers our games

Yeah..everytime I turned on CNBC they were showing curling ??

(no offense to curling fans!)

Edited by hargsy

I watched way more CNBC those two weeks than the entire rest of my life combined, thanks to all of the curling coverage.

I'm not even being ironic or a jackass, I LOVED watching curling.

I cant see how people watch that....its like watching paint dry !!!

but what ev, I guess a lot of people like it.

I remember two Olympics ago Curling was the most searched-for thing on Google. People wanted to know wtf it was

well, seeing people on a sheet of ice push this heavy thing with a handle and people run in front of it with brooms....does look a little weird. maybe thats where shuffleboard came from...

I love watching curling for the cute curling girls :D.

I need tour around the world to all the curling halls after I watch the last Olympics. Curling is weird in how interesting I find it. Sure not enough to go search for it when its not the Olympics but still.

I bet it will be like alot of years even with 4 channels where you get a few games joined in progress for the 3rd period before the late game comes on

so, is this just so they can carry it nationally? or will MSG (+) carry the games as well locally?

My understanding is that after the 1st round, the games are exclusive to NBC / Versus.

So no local MSG coverage after the first round

I think the SC Final still has Games 1 & 2 on Versus, then NBC gets the rest.