• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

I doubt anything happens this week. And the NHL is going to pretend that that last offer was a 'final offer' - if they make another formal offer, it might back off the previous one.

Honestly, who the hell knows anymore? It seems that both parties are interested in preserving an 82 game season, whether anyone backs off is a whole other story.

NHL allowed GM's to talk to players over the weekend according to Bill Daly. That is interesting.

Here are the tweets for everyone to see

@TEAM1040: RT @louisjean_tva: #NHL GM's'were afforded a 48 hour window this weekend to discuss league proposal with players. (1/2)

@TEAM1040: RT @louisjean_tva: Bill Daly says : "Permitted to answer player questions about the proposal we tabled last week"

@dchesnokov

#NJD Kovalchuk joins Ovechkin saying "I do not rule out that if the salaries are cut I will stay in the ##KHL." (via Sportbox)

More posturing. We'd be silly to not imagine that the Fehrs are sending all the high profile players their speaking notes and talking points. Ovechkin, Parise (last week), and now Kovalchuk are speaking out. It's a union and these are their highest paid players, so they need them to lead the way..

That seems to be more of an empty threat. Dont know why hes trying to threaten the league. He did the same thing in his contract summer and they showed that they did not care if he left or not.

Nah, the media (and his Russian agent-friend) did. I don't think he ever said anything other than wanting to stay in the NHL.

Im pretty sure he had said that his first choice is the nhl but if things didnt get done soon he wud go to the khl. This was towards the end of august or beginning of september. i think it wasis around the time the nhl was using his contract as a baragining chip

Im pretty sure he had said that his first choice is the nhl but if things didnt get done soon he wud go to the khl. This was towards the end of august or beginning of september. i think it wasis around the time the nhl was using his contract as a baragining chip

If his second contract had been rejected, I have little doubt he would've played for SKA in 2010-11. It's possible that he could have stayed in Russia after that.

Jeez HFBoards is so anti-PA, especially after this, it's ridiculous.. I was mad at the PA for a bit after they shot down the League offer but I'd say I'm back with the players

I just don't see how communication can be a bad thing

Jeez HFBoards is so anti-PA, especially after this, it's ridiculous.. I was mad at the PA for a bit after they shot down the League offer but I'd say I'm back with the players

Oh god, I can only imagine the idiocy being posted over there.

Communication is useless when you are trying to pretend that your side hasn't moved.

The PA's not doing anything, they're not offering a proposal or moving themselves. All they offered to do is talk, and about what exactly? Another proposal Fehr wrote on a used notepad? This is just a PR grab on their part the way the owners' one-sided offer was a PR grab on their part. This whole lockout is - surprise, surprise - the owners trying to bully a deal, and Fehr being unyielding and not offering any compromise himself. And both sides more worried about PR than bridging the divide.

And of course everyone'll be a loser when it's all said and done, except the handful of owners who hate hockey and would rather not play than have any deal that isn't 110% favoring them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Bettman is laying down the law via TGs latest tweets. Just as a I expected, no meetings and now that the 82 game wall is staring the parties in the face it won't take much for this to degrade even further with the Owners have less fear of using their big weapons (game cancellations).

Bettman pretty much just said no meetings until you agree our contract is the base to begin from.

Didnt the PA make 0 offers/proposals for like a month. Then when the league made the 50/50 proposal last week, then the PA made 3 proposals, which were immediately shot down? While Bettman svcks, the Fehr twins don't know how to negotiate and are not in it to save the season. I hate everyone involved in this. Both sides are not willing to negotiate as they are afraid it would show weakness. F-em all.

Didnt the PA make 0 offers/proposals for like a month. Then when the league made the 50/50 proposal last week, then the PA made 3 proposals, which were immediately shot down? While Bettman svcks, the Fehr twins don't know how to negotiate and are not in it to save the season. I hate everyone involved in this. Both sides are not willing to negotiate as they are afraid it would show weakness. F-em all.

I am starting to feel the same way both sides are in a pissing match and most of both sides are only concerned with who blinks first.

screw em! Wake me up when its over!

The Fehr twins don't know how to negotiate? Fehr was the head of the MLBPA for 25 years, how many labor stoppages were there in that time?

All you have to do is go up the thread and read what I said a week ago. This is inevitable. The 82 game season was done once Bettman walked out of the last negotiation claiming the PA won't talk on their terms. And in fact, the 82 game season was done with ages ago when the NHL decided it was going to lock the players out (I would say 2010 but that might be pushing it). We'll get a plenty long season in, longer than I would have thought if you'd asked me 6 months ago.

Edited by Triumph

The Fehr twins don't know how to negotiate? Fehr was the head of the MLBPA for 25 years, how many labor stoppages were there in that time?

All you have to do is go up the thread and read what I said a week ago. This is inevitable. The 82 game season was done once Bettman walked out of the last negotiation claiming the PA won't talk on their terms. And in fact, the 82 game season was done with ages ago when the NHL decided it was going to lock the players out (I would say 2010 but that might be pushing it). We'll get a plenty long season in, longer than I would have thought if you'd asked me 6 months ago.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but what is this based on? You know they won't talk for another week, and even then, I doubt anyone budges this early

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but what is this based on? You know they won't talk for another week, and even then, I doubt anyone budges this early

The budging already happened. It will just take time for both sides to acknowledge it. Both sides think the other is ready to crack, which means that one side actually is. However, each side is now trying to spin it that they are not ready to crack, which is why you will see a lot of scare tactics via the media controlled by the owners (TSN guys) and media controlled by the players (Larry Brooks, a couple of others). It's the storm before the calm - a compromise will appear to both sides and they'll get down to it. I said CBA by December 1st and I still think that is conservative.

From what I've gathered the union seems fehrly (ha ha) divided. I think some players are adamant about getting a favorable deal, while some just want to play. If I were Bettman, I would take it a step further and cancel November now. He needs to try to crumble the union and not be so focused on Fehr or PR

From what I've gathered the union seems fehrly (ha ha) divided. I think some players are adamant about getting a favorable deal, while some just want to play. If I were Bettman, I would take it a step further and cancel November now. He needs to try to crumble the union and not be so focused on Fehr or PR

That will just strengthen their resolve. Why cancel games that could be played? That makes them less likely to come to a deal, which is ultimately what you need. The NHL knows it cannot afford another missed season.

There are always going to be players who want to play now because NHL careers are short. And yeah, some guys have already lost money that they won't get back, but they could lose even more if they cave now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.