Tallinder traded to Buffalo.

SterioDesign

TG

Having eight healthy D on roster last season, most of them vets, did not work out well for Devils last season, I thought.

Looked like it would be a positive on paper, but having 2 unhappy guys every night didn't' work. Guys put team first, but still unhappy.

glad TG agree with me there. It was the most stupid thing to keep 8 dmen last season. Absolutely ridiculous i felt so bad for those guys. Fayne would get scratch one game then would play against the top line the next game. Rookies would be scratch after a mistake for 4-5 games while some vets would get away with murder on a daily basis. hope this is over

Ok, I really don't know what the fvck people wanted Lou to do, no one is taking Salvador or Volchenkov with the years and money they have left, its a fvcking pipe dream. I swear, people will bitch and moan about anything. This was EXPECTED, and not at all surprising. Best of luck in Buffalo Hank.

Lou's done well this off season, the only thing left I'd like him to do is buy out Volch (since nobody wants him)

I'd love a Volch buyout too. Its not gonna happen though I don't think.

they could've gotten a pick and this waste of a reserve list spot, if tallinder had that kind of value, but apparently he didn't.

i read that Buffalo had to send a contract our way for that deal to happen or something. it was mostly on their side.

Lou's done well this off season, the only thing left I'd like him to do is buy out Volch (since nobody wants him)

Even though i'd like to see him gone let's not get too overboard with ditching all our vet dmen... i dont like him and our young prospects are obviously the new shinny toy that you cant wait to unwrap but Tallinder and A-train were playing big minutes, not sure all the other guys can take that workload on a night basis. Gotta be careful

I'd love a Volch buyout too. Its not gonna happen though I don't think.

Is there a time limit to do this?

Like before the season starts...or ???

I know the first buyout window closed, not sure when the second window is, if there is one. Edited by MadDog2020

I know the first buyout window closed, not sure when the second window is, if there is one.

I thought you could buyout any player during the off-season at any time?

The compliance buyout to my understanding was the one that had a window period. I may be wrong.

Edited by GoArmySports

Like that it means giving someone an opportunity, but Tallinder was (and still is) an excellent defenseman.

Overstatement of the year.  Tri, you must've had one too many bloody marys at brunch.  Tallinder is serviceable at best, and can't exactly stay healthy.

I think people are jumping the gun on Volchenkov a little bit. Yes, he's slow and makes some mistakes, but not all defenseman have to be speed demons, and he still has some good NHL-level skills that he brings to the table. None of our other D-men come close to matching his level of ferocious, physical play, and we all know he is willing to sacrifice his body night in and night out blocking shots and taking hits. You need guys like that. He has been declining overall in his play but I think he can still be an effective role player for at least one more season, especially on the penalty kill. If you want to raise your pitchforks at someone, make it Salvador, not A-train.

As for Tallinder, I echo the sentiments of others that it's a shame that he was the odd-man out, as I always thought he was a steady, reliable d-man for us. It's too bad we couldn't get anything of value back for him, Buffalo really got a steal in this trade, but it was a necessity to make salary and roster space. If Zidlicky comes back, fine. If not, I hope one of the young guys earns the spot. We've been talking about some of these guys for a few seasons now, it would be nice to see one of them crack the line-up.

• Like 1

I think most of you are delusional today.

- Tallinder will be a UFA next year. 

- Can't stay healthy - only played 64 games over the last two years.

- Makes $3.5 million, and will turn 35 during next season.

If the young guys are ready, why block them with an aging, serviceable defenseman who's overpaid and may not stay healthy to begin with?

• Like 2

Good move. I'd rather have 7 good dmen than 8.

Sal Greene

Larsson Fayne

Volch Urbom/Gelinas/Merrill

Harrold

Next year, buy out Volch, move up another kid.

I think most of you are delusional today.

- Tallinder will be a UFA next year. 

- Can't stay healthy - only played 64 games over the last two years.

- Makes $3.5 million, and will turn 35 during next season.

If the young guys are ready, why block them with an aging, serviceable defenseman who's overpaid and may not stay healthy to begin with?

Tallinder's major injury was a blood clot, which while people can be more or less prone to them, are treatable.  He was a healthy scratch for several games last year.

Tallinder is not overpaid.

Tallinder is likely better than the young D would be, and could even be much better.

I mean - yeah, I see the rationale for the move even absent the financial considerations, but the Devils are worse today.

Edited by Triumph

I don't know how anyone can be happy about salary dump until we see what Lou does with it. If you love Tallinder or not, the Devils defense does not get better with Harrold and one of the rookies playing a lot more. 

You expect Salvador to struggle at times. Everyone last year was giving it to Volchenkov. You aren't sure what you'll get from Larsson. Tallinder would have been nice to have. Now even if this was expected or not, still not a wonderful move.

Another thing: I think the return for Tallinder goes to show how little respect the Devils defense gets around the league. It has the "no-name defense" label for a while now, and I think this only perpetuates it a bit. It took the only other team that's ever know him to get a deal done. Remember, team USA didn't even ask Andy Greene if he wanted to play last year at the World Championships. And they ended up taking Chris Butler, Justin Faulk, Matt Hunwick and Jake Trouba on D.

I think long term, they benefit from playing the kids. Even if a guy like Urbom is a downgrade from Tally, he needs the experience, and he's not going to get it with Tally playing. 2 or 3 years down th eline, we'll hopefully appreciate this move working out. If we don't, it's because our young dmen aren't as good as we hoped, not because it wasn't a smart move.

Really don't think tallinder getting traded makes us worse.

For starters, I value tallinder a little more than the majority of Devils fans do. I really think he got the short end of the stick here. With that said, the guy barely plays. He wasn't making much of an impact over the last 3 seasons.

I don't know how anyone can be happy about salary dump until we see what Lou does with it. If you love Tallinder or not, the Devils defense does not get better with Harrold and one of the rookies playing a lot more. 

You expect Salvador to struggle at times. Everyone last year was giving it to Volchenkov. You aren't sure what you'll get from Larsson. Tallinder would have been nice to have. Now even if this was expected or not, still not a wonderful move.

Another thing: I think the return for Tallinder goes to show how little respect the Devils defense gets around the league. It has the "no-name defense" label for a while now, and I think this only perpetuates it a bit. It took the only other team that's ever know him to get a deal done. Remember, team USA didn't even ask Andy Greene if he wanted to play last year at the World Championships. And they ended up taking Chris Butler, Justin Faulk, Matt Hunwick and Jake Trouba on D.

I think sending Henrik to the Sabres was a favor to Henrik, not necessarily a comment on his value.

Faulk is better than Greene, and even so, the US has typically used the World Championships as a trying ground for young players.  I can't imagine they actually thought someone like Jake Trouba was better than Greene.

I think sending Henrik to the Sabres was a favor to Henrik, not necessarily a comment on his value.

Faulk is better than Greene, and even so, the US has typically used the World Championships as a trying ground for young players. I can't imagine they actually thought someone like Jake Trouba was better than Greene.

This. I think the lame return was because buffalo knew they had Lou in a spot where he needed to dump cap and he wanted to do well by Tallinder.

This was a necessary move to free up the log jam.  I think it's going to be Merrill who gets the spot.  His short stay in Albany was much like Zajac's prior to his first NHL season.  I'm not sure what happens with Urbom from here.  They'll make it look like a competition in camp but unless Merrill totally bombs I'd bet the house on him being on the roster opening night.