KHL 2012-13 Season Thread

Triumph

Have no fear about the NHL lockout - there's always Russian hockey! But seriously, it's hard to imagine that Ilya Kovalchuk and Anton Volchenkov don't end up playing over there, and we already know that former Devil and awesome post-game interview Vladimir Zharkov is playing there this year.

Another thing that's awesome about the KHL, besides the rampant corruption, is that the season starts super-early relative to North American hockey - the season begins today, September 4th, with a rematch of last year's Gargarin Cup - Lokomotiv Cup finalists - Dynamo Moscow hosts Avangard Omsk. Avangard has two ex-Devils - Martin Skoula and Anssi Salmela.

Anyway, I don't intend to keep up with the KHL all that much, but between that and the AHL it's going to be the only high-level hockey we have for 3+ months.

I was actually trying to figure out what KHL team I should support. I decided to go with SKA Saint Petersburg as of right now for a few reasons. First, Kovalchuk is rumored to play there during the lockout. Second, they are supposed to play 2 games against Dynamo Moscow in Brooklyn so I would have a chance to actually see some live games. Third, almost a one time Devil, Fedor Fedorov and Norwegian, Patrick Thoresen play there! (I won't hold Petr Prucha against them) Lastly, according to wikipedia (so it could be wrong) they haven't won any huge title so it would be like cheering for an underdog in some ways. My fandom for them is all dependent on Kovalchuk playing there though.

I haven't tried this link yet, but apparently you can stream the games here.

Who knows if Kovy is even going in the KHL, if he thinks that the lockout won't last the whole season, he probably won't go play in Russia, and get his back healthy. Also, I wouldn't be too stoked about playing in Russia after the Lokomotiv plane crash... If Kovy goes to the KHL for a year however, I will cheer for the team he plays for.

Edited by Devs3cups

I used to be a CSKA Moscow fan because of all the excellent NHLers they produced and how often they would go the Devils.

Notable Devils that played for CSKA include (and I must be missing some I can't remember them all):

Fetisov

Larionov

Mogilny

Brylin

Malakhov

Nemchinov

Zelupukin

But...after the unfortunate Lokomotiv accident I'm going to do my best and root for new-Loko.

Edited by StormJosh

Who knows if Kovy is even going in the KHL, if he thinks that the lockout won't last the whole season, he probably won't go play in Russia, and get his back healthy. Also, I wouldn't be too stoked about playing in Russia after the Lokomotiv plane crash... If Kovy goes to the KHL for a year however, I will cheer for the team he plays for.

he will most certainly play in the KHL. this isn't at all in question. Volchenkov will play there too.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405125

KHL: Only 'Top-Level' NHLers Elgible to Sign if Locked Out

Each team would be allowed to sign three eligible National Hockey League players above the teams' established roster limit of 25, but of those three only one could be a player born outside Russia.

As for the foreign-born talent, a strict set of criteria were outlined as to which players would be eligible. Players wishing to sign in the KHL must fulfill one of the following four requirements, as outlined in a league statement:

- The player has played no fewer than 150 games in the NHL over the last three seasons.

- Has experience of playing in the KHL.

- Represented his country at one of the last two IIHF World Championships, World Junior Championships or the Olympics.

- Is a Stanley Cup winner, a Stanley Cup finalist, or a winner of one of the individual prizes awarded by the NHL at the close of their season.