‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Anyone think Parise might get a contract he can't live up to turning him into another Gaborik or at the very worst a Gomez because he can't handle the pressure?

I think Lou knows what he's actually worth and doesn't want to spend more than that. Can't blame him really.

• Like 1

I would give it a 1% chance. Other teams would really have to give him underwhelming offers, which is not going to happen. If he's decided to go UFA, that means he's willing to entertain other options, which certainly will be higher than the Devils. Let it go, he's gone.

If it was all about money though he would have shut off communications with Lou weeks ago once word of the Wild offer spread, not to mention the Pens' 10-80 rumor. I don't know if we have to match the Pens/Detroit/whatever, we at the very least have to come damn close to the other contenders.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If it was all about money though he would have shut off communications with Lou weeks ago once word of the Wild offer spread, not to mention the Pens' 10-80 rumor. I don't know if we have to match the Pens/Detroit/whatever, we at the very least have to come damn close to the other contenders.

That's exactly my point. The very fact he was still talking to us is a sign that it wasn't all about money. However, deciding today to reject Lou's final offer and go UFA means that the major influencing point now IS money. He already knows the perks of staying in NJ, and he decided to open himself up to other teams which will throw at him a lot more than we do. He isn't coming back here, it's over.

Zach's a big boy, he can make big boy decisions. Perhaps he wants to leave. Perhaps he just wants to see what else is out there before committing to the Devs for the rest of his productive career. If he gets an overwhelming offer and takes it, fine. No need to ruin this franchise for him. I am going to try to not let this situation influence my mood. If he leaves, the Devils will still be a strong franchise.

Not that it means anything, but if I were in his position, I'd want to see what others had to offer before committing to the Devils, even if I knew I'd ultimately be a Devil. Hearing more offers wouldn't hurt, and may get you some more money. I'm not saying this is happening, but maybe there's some reassurance that Zach still has a good chance of staying in NJ.

So I guess the Don Meehan dog and pony show has begun. I can't believe Zach is engaging in this bullsh!t.

In fairness to Parise, he has worked hard his whole life to get into this position. He'd be foolish not to see what offers are out there. While I would be angry if he left, I do understand it since its a business.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I guess what burns me more than anything is Lou did not have to give Zach captaincy last year knowing there was a good chance he would test free agency, also your financial situation they knew was bad prior to trade deadline if Zach was not going to let you know he was going to sign Lou should have traded him for low round picks or something it's not like the team was playing like a Stanley cup champion at the time. It just is weird to name him capt then lose him for nothing!

Edited by Devs1965

I guess what burns me more than anything is Lou did not have to give Zach captaincy last year knowing there was a good chance he would test free agency, also your financial situation they knew was bad prior to trade deadline if Zach was not going to let you know he was going to sign Lou should have traded him for low round picks or something it's not like the team was playing like a Stanley cup champion at the time. It just is weird to name him capt then lose him for nothing!

That's way too much 20/20 hindsight, though.

• Like 1

I don't want to get into the "how do you know this" so take it for what its worth.

Parise looking for Crosby/Kovalchuk money.

10-12 years $100M.

Devils are being held to internal cap by NHL.

They have been pleading with the league to exceed the cap # they have been given.

Devils argument is their financial situation/future investors will take a huge hit losing their face of their franchise.

I don't want to get into the "how do you know this" so take it for what its worth.

Parise looking for Crosby/Kovalchuk money.

10-12 years $100M.

Devils are being held to internal cap by NHL.

They have been pleading with the league to exceed the cap # they have been given.

Devils argument is their financial situation/future investors will take a huge hit losing their face of their franchise.

So you're telling me if the Devils and Parise agree on a contract that fits within the league salary cap, the NHL is just going to step in (again) and tell both sides that they can't do that because they don't think they can afford it?

So you're telling me if the Devils and Parise agree on a contract that fits within the league salary cap, the NHL is just going to step in (again) and tell both sides that they can't do that because they don't think they can afford it?

the teams financial situation will be the #1 reason Devils lose Zach and not that Zach does not want to be here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.