New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we're also screwed because every FA we've signed so far is European (2 from Sweden, 1 from Russia) I guess Volchenkov is not the type of player who makes a TEAM better?

The guy known for his shot blocking and sacrifice, Volchenkov, is a Euro so he doesn't get the team concept, only the all mighty dollar and himself. :lol:

LOL! You've reminded me of a very funny beer commercial! Do you have Bud Light in your limo? Then I am Ilya Ko-VAL-chuk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFec3QMuFkA

Jerry wins five Internets. :hail:

Oh, by the way:

I am going to laugh my fvcking balls off if Kovy DOESN'T sign with LA (or anyone else) tomorrow.

BAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :dizzy:

I'm a little sick of people calling Kovalchuk a "novelty item", an "ornament", etc. This is a guaranteed 40-50g/40a per year guy. There is nothing novelty about that. He is a game changer, a team changer, and a fan-base changer. Yea, it looks like he doesn't want to play here, but let's gain a little perspective.

Based on what I've seen of Kovalchuk in a Devil uniform, and based on the games I've seen him play against the Devils, I believe you're right. Nice post.

I think that for the KINGS, mitco's post is spot on. This team... :noclue: There is no one more anti-finesse than I - I dont even appreciate it on ice. I'm the only person I know that thinks Gretzky killed the game a little. But what this team needs is some spit and polish. The bones are there and solid. The work ethic is ingrained. Just because you're at the dance, doesn't mean you're dressed for it. hmehhh buuuuut I wasn't so impressed with Kovalchuk. He's no Mike Bossey. I dont think the Devils have the staff to make him that way either.

So maybe not Kovalcuk, but the Devils OF COURSE could use a scorer. duh? It's not an unaffordable luxury at this point.

Edited by Pepperkorn

at this point i'd dance bollywood with kovy just for him to stay. besides his skill he brings a new level of excitement to the Devils, something this team always seems to lack. I enjoyed watching him.

The guy known for his shot blocking and sacrifice, Volchenkov, is a Euro so he doesn't get the team concept, only the all mighty dollar and himself. :lol:

That mighty dollar can always pay for reconstructive surgery I guess?

"This is a guaranteed 40-50g/40a per year guy"

No way Kovalchuk is a 50/40 guy in the Devils system.

Why not? There's definitely a chance he gets to 50 goals playing with Arnott/Elias/Parise/Zajac/Langenbrunner/Zubrus

BTW if you want to quote someone, you don't have to copy and paste...jut hit reply and it automatically quotes the post.

Edited by ben00rs

His wife has a 3 yr old and and a 1 yr old at home. Why would she want to be thinking of Hollywood?

Im kinda hoping now that Kovy magically signs with Calgary. That way they can be the team of ultimate hate for a Devils fan (outside of the rags of course)

Thankfully for me, I've been away from my computer for a couple days, and have missed some of the drama.

His wife has a 3 yr old and and a 1 yr old at home. Why would she want to be thinking of Hollywood?

Im kinda hoping now that Kovy magically signs with Calgary. That way they can be the team of ultimate hate for a Devils fan (outside of the rags of course)

Unrelated, I know, that's crazy in this thread, but how have the Sutters all kept their job in CGY? I'm flabbergasted.

Why not? There's definitely a chance he gets to 50 goals playing with Arnott/Elias/Parise/Zajac/Langenbrunner/Zubrus

BTW if you want to quote someone, you don't have to copy and paste...jut hit reply and it automatically quotes the post.

I just don't think the Devils play an open style that Kovy is used to scoring in. If Mac and the others decide to go with a more open style there is chance that he could score 40 plus goals and 30 plus assists but that's it. Kovy only had one season of 50+ goals and 40+ assists. He's only reached 90 points twice as well.

I just don't think the Devils play an open style that Kovy is used to scoring in. If Mac and the others decide to go with a more open style there is chance that he could score 40 plus goals and 30 plus assists but that's it. Kovy only had one season of 50+ goals and 40+ assists. He's only reached 90 points twice as well.

Well I think it would be nice if we started scoring more and playing a more open style. We have some offensive weapons and we should use them.

Kovalchuk put up 27 points in 27 games with a new team, new linemates, a coach who had NO idea how to use him, and teammates who mostly did nothing but pass the puck to him and stare in awe as he skated up the ice. If you don't think Kovalchuk can put up 50/40 in a Devils uniform, you're crazy.

Kovalchuk put up 27 points in 27 games with a new team, new linemates, a coach who had NO idea how to use him, and teammates who mostly did nothing but pass the puck to him and stare in awe as he skated up the ice. If you don't think Kovalchuk can put up 50/40 in a Devils uniform, you're crazy.

I think a lot of what you say rings true, but what did Kovalchuk do to fit in here? Doesn't he have the responsibility to do that?

I guess I'm crazy then. I've said it before the Devils don't have a culture of having one superstar and then a bunch of role players. If anything the Devils is the example of "team" sports. Everyone on the team has a defined role and fulfills that. That's probably one of the reasons Kovy would be by himself trying to rush the puck up ice against four opposing players. Kovy's role on this team will be that of a team player, not the superstar that he is used too.

I think a lot of what you say rings true, but what did Kovalchuk do to fit in here? Doesn't he have the responsibility to do that?

No. He has a responsibility to be a good teammate and listen to the direction of the coaches. It was Lemaire's job to "fit" him in. Kovy did the best he could coming on to a team with tension in the locker room with only 2 months left in the season. Given time and good coaching, everything would be different.