Devils and Newark Settle Differences and Agree to Deal

DevsMan84

The team had all of the leverage after winning at arbitration and on appeal.  Newark wasn't getting anything major out of this, other than an opprotunity for Booker to say he actually did something.

The only people that lose out on this are the fans, who now have to pay 1.37% tax on each ticket purchased for Devils, Seton Hall, and Liberty games.  Plus, for all "non-tenant" events, we will now have to pay a $1.25 per ticket tax that is going to increase in 5 years.  The Devils and Newark share in this extra revenue.

Crump is 88 years old btw....so basically she's seething because she thought she was getting a luxury box as a free handout?

Not a friend of the city of Newark? Do those 17k stream into that sh!thole of a city without the Devils and pru center? Would they be their spending money in city establishments? Why doesn't Crump walk into Brick City or Dinosaur BBQ or Loft 47 or Scully's and ask them if Mr. Vanderbeek is a friend of newarks

Because of Jeff the 3-4 blocks in and around the Pru Center are habitable and business is booming, money is flowing into those areas. This is more than she's ever done for the city. Maybe she's the one running around with the camera while the shameless huckster mayor stages another publicity stunt "so we'll leave this cat out in the cold...then I'll come save it!"

Edited by '7'

Crump is 88 years old btw....so basically she's seething because she thought she was getting a luxury box as a free handout?

Not a friend of the city of Newark? Do those 17k stream into that sh!thole of a city without the Devils and pru center? Would they be their spending money in city establishments? Why doesn't Crump walk into Brick City or Dinosaur BBQ or Loft 47 or Scully's and ask them if Mr. Vanderbeek is a friend of newarks

Because of Jeff the 3-4 blocks in and around the Pru Center are habitable and business is booming, money is flowing into those areas. This is more than she's ever done for the city. Maybe she's the one running around with the camera while the shameless huckster mayor stages another publicity stunt "so we'll leave this cat out in the cold...then I'll come save it!"

Exactly.  The Devils and the Prudential Center have done more of the city of Newark in 5 years than Crump and the rest of the council have done in the last 40.

JVB could have just told the city to go to hell after the artbiter ruled in favor the Devils, but instead he continued to work with Newark to get something that would at least somewhat please both sides.  This woman is just throwing a hissy fit because she cannot get free suite tickets and have to pay for them just like the rest of us.

The biggest detriment to the city of Newark has always been the awful politicians they continue to elect.. Booker is an anomaly, not sure how they ever elected a decent mayor after habitually choosing people who steal from them

Eh, I'm not so sold on Booker being all that great. I mean, yes, he's not indicted yet, that's a big improvement, but other than that, what has Booker done for Newark? We all remember how the murder rate dropped precipitously after he became mayor, but I doubt whether that drop was 100% real or not. It's pretty weird to see that number be so far off of the average and then in the next couple years see it come back near the point it was. So was that real or not? Was the raise in murders attributable solely to say laying off those 150 or so police officers a couple years ago in December? Things like that just make me wonder about him.

Booker is a FANTASTIC orator, better than Obama in my opinion. I think the Democratic party has high hopes for him.

Sorry to get a little off topic(at least this thread is semi political to begin with), I just think Booker's reputation outside of Newark is artificially inflated through how well he works the national talk shows.

JVB could have just told the city to go to hell after the artbiter ruled in favor the Devils, but instead he continued to work with Newark to get something that would at least somewhat please both sides.  This woman is just throwing a hissy fit because she cannot get free suite tickets and have to pay for them just like the rest of us.

Right. Crump is complaining after JVB agreed to yield some to Newark when he had absolutely no legal obligation to do so.

Eh, I'm not so sold on Booker being all that great. I mean, yes, he's not indicted yet, that's a big improvement, but other than that, what has Booker done for Newark? We all remember how the murder rate dropped precipitously after he became mayor, but I doubt whether that drop was 100% real or not. It's pretty weird to see that number be so far off of the average and then in the next couple years see it come back near the point it was. So was that real or not? Was the raise in murders attributable solely to say laying off those 150 or so police officers a couple years ago in December? Things like that just make me wonder about him.

Booker is a FANTASTIC orator, better than Obama in my opinion. I think the Democratic party has high hopes for him.

Sorry to get a little off topic(at least this thread is semi political to begin with), I just think Booker's reputation outside of Newark is artificially inflated through how well he works the national talk shows.

Booker has been absolutely tremendous in luring outside investment into Newark...and keeping businesses in town. He has also been great for the city's perception (which goes a long way, like the PruCenter demonstrates)

Not to turn this into a political thing, but it's hard to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t.

Right. Crump is complaining after JVB agreed to yield some to Newark when he had absolutely no legal obligation to do so.

Booker has been absolutely tremendous in luring outside investment into Newark...and keeping businesses in town. He has also been great for the city's perception (which goes a long way, like the PruCenter demonstrates)

You mean like that HUGE tax credit Christie and him gave to Prudential? I don't think that's helpful to Newark. The city's perception isn't as changed as you think. People who have gone to Newark can see that downtown, you'll at least be safe, but lets not kid ourselves, there's very little in the way of shoppes and restaurants in and around the few blocks near the arena. Yes, the Ironbound has that, but honestly, you shouldn't have to walk that far from an arena to get to an area with a few bars and restaurants. So I don't think people's idea of Newark has changed radically.

Booker again today had another one of his periodic, "I'm a real nice guy" fluff article come out of his PR team. He helped some guy propose to his fiance and I just don't understand wtf that has to do with anything. I still don't think his last few ones were even real. Saving dogs, old people, taking a bite out of crime, playing bball with the impoverished youths, it's all a little too cliche pandering for me.

That being said, I'm not a Booker hater, I'm just wary of him because I think he's a VERY skilled politician that can talk a whole lot better than he can do. Especially since I think the Dems have big plans for him.

You mean like that HUGE tax credit Christie and him gave to Prudential? I don't think that's helpful to Newark. The city's perception isn't as changed as you think. People who have gone to Newark can see that downtown, you'll at least be safe, but lets not kid ourselves, there's very little in the way of shoppes and restaurants in and around the few blocks near the arena. Yes, the Ironbound has that, but honestly, you shouldn't have to walk that far from an arena to get to an area with a few bars and restaurants. So I don't think people's idea of Newark has changed radically.

Booker again today had another one of his periodic, "I'm a real nice guy" fluff article come out of his PR team. He helped some guy propose to his fiance and I just don't understand wtf that has to do with anything. I still don't think his last few ones were even real. Saving dogs, old people, taking a bite out of crime, playing bball with the impoverished youths, it's all a little too cliche pandering for me.

That being said, I'm not a Booker hater, I'm just wary of him because I think he's a VERY skilled politician that can talk a whole lot better than he can do. Especially since I think the Dems have big plans for him.

Perception-wise, the downtown area is perceived much differently than it was five years ago. People are not afraid to invest or even live downtown now. Five years ago you would never see condos or even major corporations relocating to downtown.

Yes, state tax credits are the big draw for Prudential staying within the city, but it still takes convincing from Booker and Newark to encourage the actual construction of not one, but two skyscrapers. The Urban tax credit was in place during the James administration and not much happened then. There are a lot of major construction projects planned/approved/under construction despite the poor economy that are underway due to changed perception and Booker's recruitment.

I cant speak for his superman save people from burning buildings and shovel out some lady's driveway in the central ward, but I do know his administration has recruited businesses heavily and promoted the city very well.