Devils re-sign Bryce Salvador

Amberite

I loved his playoffs as well--he was the definition of clutch--but I am not aware of anything in his career to suggest that that was anything more than a very nice, very positive fluke. I loved it, it helped us, but he hit the post-season lottery.... I mean, does Lou think he is signing the second coming of Claude Lemieux here? I hope not.

Fluke? Are you kidding? The guy didn't beat a goalie cleanly on any of the goals he scored. They were all like Happy Gilmore on the 18th hole...

I loved his playoffs as well--he was the definition of clutch--but I am not aware of anything in his career to suggest that that was anything more than a very nice, very positive fluke. I loved it, it helped us, but he hit the post-season lottery.... I mean, does Lou think he is signing the second coming of Claude Lemieux here? I hope not.

He wasn't signed for his scoring or point production. He made 2.9 the last 3 years, and got a raise to 3.16. He was signed to keep doing what he's doing.

You definitely need a guy like Cam every once in a while, especially when you see the kind of signings the Rangers and Islanders did Sunday. Would I use him more than 30 games? No, but he is needed for certain situations.

Bryce is a locker room leader and he's respected by the players. Chemistry like that is extremely important.

Hear you on Cam, it would just be nice if the guy had ANY hockey skills at all.

Hear you on Cam, it would just be nice if the guy had ANY hockey skills at all.

Definitely. He has none at all. But I think his job is to get the players up, get them energized, make some hits, and punch a Ranger every once in a while. Another reason I think he was signed is because he is loved by the other players, as is Salvador. This goes a long way towards building a championship team. I think we've all seen a camaraderie on the Devils the last year or so that we haven't seen here too much in the past.

This could be the worst deal in the history of the team

lol not really. Malakhov was hideous and everyone knew that from the minute he signed other than Lou. Rolston wound up being even more hideous though nobody thought that at the time. The three years is bad but you're talking about $3.1 million on a cap of $70 million. Malakhov was $3.6 on a cap of $39 and we wound up having to get rid of a first-rounder just to ditch it. Rolston was an albatross we couldn't get rid of at all for more than a year.

The reason Lou gave Sal this contract is the same reason he kept him around after missing a year when everyone and their grandmother wanted him bought out. Would I have brought him back, not at three years but it's not like Lou was the only GM to give him three years. Sal had multiple three-year offers and Lou wound up matching what was already on the table.

Edited by NJDevs4978

here's my take on this... not a big fan or the 3 years BUT he didnt ask for a NTC and if we lose on Zach we may have trouble reaching the floor and with what would be left on the market by then well i'd rather give it to a leader and vet on our team who really deserved it like Sal did.

here's my take on this... not a big fan or the 3 years BUT he didnt ask for a NTC and if we lose on Zach we may have trouble reaching the floor and with what would be left on the market by then well i'd rather give it to a leader and vet on our team who really deserved it like Sal did.

We're not going to have trouble reaching the floor. We're currently just below (by like 150,000) with Sal. Without Sal, we'd be three million short and need at least two players. Sykora and another name would put us over it. We also have another 1-2 million of Fayne not even factored in right now.

Without Zach/Without Sal, we'd still make the floor.

I love Sal, but 3 years is too much. That said, he's tradable. There are always teams looking for veteran d, even if the guy is struggling. I don't see him becoming an albatross like Rolston, even if he struggles. He's also one of the leaders of the team, and a guy I love having in the locker room. If you're going to be too generous, there are worse, less moveable players to be too generous to.

True that. There were a handful of goons on the UFA market with better hockey skills than Cam.

But they cost more than Cam.

Ya know, it isn't a great deal for us but Sal won the unsung hero award from the team this past season, and is close with Zach. He's a solid defenseman and can look for deflections from the point well. He's a leader and seemingly a mentor, as well. He had a good season. Not the worst deal for us and id bet he retires before its up anyway. It will look worse if Zach doesn't sign.

Ya know, it isn't a great deal for us but Sal won the unsung hero award from the team this past season, and is close with Zach. He's a solid defenseman and can look for deflections from the point well. He's a leader and seemingly a mentor, as well. He had a good season. Not the worst deal for us and id bet he retires before its up anyway. It will look worse if Zach doesn't sign.

It may look better if Zach doesn't sign. Salvador would be an even bigger part of the behind-the-scenes for a time that lost a huge piece, and would be a front runner for captain. He'd at least be an alternate.

I wouldn't have signed him for 3 years either, but the overreaction to this deal is laughable.

Agreed.

Salvador brings leadership, WANTS to be a Devil, and only got a slight raise. Well deserved contract in my opinion. I wonder who will be the odd man out this year though. Tallinder? Volchenkov? Have to think more moves are coming...

Agreed.

Salvador brings leadership, WANTS to be a Devil, and only got a slight raise. Well deserved contract in my opinion. I wonder who will be the odd man out this year though. Tallinder? Volchenkov? Have to think more moves are coming...

And this is why there is an "overreaction". Too many years. Overpaid most likely in year 2 and 3. And a young better defenseman will now have to be traded to accommodate that.

Edited by devilsrule33