Parise: Money matters, but Cup chances are key to new deal

Rock

I didn't see this posted, if it has please delete

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2012/01/devils_zach_parise_money_matte.html

“For me that’s probably the biggest thing,” Parise said. “The money is definitely important. That’s real life, let’s face it. I’m not going to say it’s not. That’s realistic. But most important for me is being competitive and having a chance to win the Stanley Cup.”

These quotes can always be picked apart and twisted and interpreted in multiple ways (which is probably why guys like Zach get sick of answering these questions...depending on what kind of mood they're in when these questions are asked, people will look for the slightest difference from previous answers and try to make it sound like he's closer or further away from re-signing than he was the last time he answered the same questions).

Who knows what's going to happen? I don't even think Zach does. But here's what I took from his quotes, for whatever those quotes are worth:

1) He's not taking much of a hometown discount, if he takes one at all, and

2) A deep playoff run, or at least one where the team wins a round and looks good/competitive in the second round, would help the Devils' cause a lot.

But if he leaves, he leaves. It happens. I don't think it necessarily has to be as disastrous as some will make it out to be...not saying I'd be happy if he left, but part of it would depend on what he left for. But his leaving won't signal the end of Devils hockey as we know it, at least not for me. I'd have to see what would happen afterwards. The Devils are going to have money to spend.

Personally i think losing Zach would be absolutely disastrous and it would hurt us real bad, players like him doesnt come too often, chances about replacing him from within the organization are mighty slim or through free agency (we won't be as much appealing without him too), some people we're saying it wasnt a big deal losing Niedermayer, Rafalski, etc etc... i dont know if you guys can't face it so you want to live in deny, but it did hurt us BAD losing those guys and it would hurt losing Zach.

I sometimes don't like the way he says somethings but I think much of that can be attributed to what CR said. That being said, If he does leave, I really like the way Henrique conducts himself on the ice and says all the right things in the interviews. He wouldn't be ready at this point but I can see him being a leader in like 4-5 years.

Let me see if I'm getting this straight.

Since ...

- Zach wants to sign with a Cup contender more than anything else,

- and money is also a factor, just not the biggest one

... and:

- the only way the Devils can prove that they're the kind of Cup contender Zach wants would be with a strong playoff run

... it stands to reason that:

- we shouldn't be holding our collective breath waiting for a contract to be signed before the playoffs

... unless:

- the Devils grossly overpay, so as to negate the "Cup contender" aspect.

Right? (Sorry for the annoying format. I couldn't think of a way to put that all together without an incredibly ugly run-on sentence.)

• Like 2

I think you got that right. Ideally, we would like to sign him sooner rather than later, and having a deep playoff run to convince him to stay means we blew past the trade deadline and the end of the season without having him signed long term.

Since ...

... and:

- the only way the Devils can prove that they're the kind of Cup contender Zach wants would be with a strong playoff run

- we shouldn't be holding our collective breath waiting for a contract to be signed before the playoffs

... unless:

Right? (Sorry for the annoying format. I couldn't think of a way to put that all together without an incredibly ugly run-on sentence.)

I agree with that reasoning

What Cup contending teams will be able to fit him under the cap if he gets $8 mil like people think he could?

To be honest, he hasn't looked great in terms of scoring this season so far.. Seems like teams are on to how he gets his goals.. Sure, his hustle and back-checking have been the best on the team and he's an amazing guy to have in the locker room, but I haven't seen that goal scoring flare he had prior to his injury (which I think has nothing to do with his goal scoring being down from what it was)

I think we have enough young talent to give him hope for the future, so if the money is right I can see him resigning.. But if not, we will have so much cap space between him and Marty alone that we could get some nice pieces too (how about Claude Giroux in 2 years :uni: )

If Zach doesn't resign then the captaincy goes to Kovy, no doubt.. And by the fans' comments around me during last home game, he's the worst player on our team :giggle:

Edited by Colin226

This article will be picked apart by the national North American Devils-hating media, and they will shape Zach's quotes in a way that will make it sound like he wants to leave. Just wait. Burnside will probably check in first, no one hates us more that that guy.

What I don't understand is why they think he will get more than 8 Mill? Are they talking CAP hit or a the actual $$ in the first couple years.

If they are talking cap hit, what players are his peers as far as stats go and command over 8 Mill?

Edited by lucifer91

So Zach wants to play for a cup contender, doesnt say much for re signing with a team that hasnt been a playoff team.

Based of the one missed playoff (nearly making which looked impossible in December?)... We're a playoff calibre team... it will be interesting to see how we resolve goaltending down the line though.

Anyone who gives a hometown discount is a fool... especially when it isn't your hometown. It's a business first. If he gets injured, it would be his only contract. If you can sign a longterm mega deal, you do it wherever you can... and hopefully you have some choices, so you can then be selective about the history and location of the franchise, and get your cup etc. Team fortunes change season by season... some are more volatile than others. However, all teams have had their lulls and success.

Losing Zach would hurt this team... however, I'm not sold on his true impact on this team's philosophy. (ie, Stevens). Stevens was impossible to replace. Zach is very difficult to replace because he has a rare skillset, and to do so would be very expensive.

I don't think we're going to see him resigned during the season. It's going to be your typical will he/won't he through July 1, and if not later. I think he'll see what opportunities are out there, and compare to what he has here.

Since ...

... and:

... unless:

I'll just add one more variable to this, where does his soon to be wife want to live? doubt it matters BUT I have seen that be a factor in some cases, hell, I'd move to the yukon if she asked me too!

Based of the one missed playoff (nearly making which looked impossible in December?)... We're a playoff calibre team... it will be interesting to see how we resolve goaltending down the line though.

Anyone who gives a hometown discount is a fool... especially when it isn't your hometown. It's a business first. If he gets injured, it would be his only contract. If you can sign a longterm mega deal, you do it wherever you can... and hopefully you have some choices, so you can then be selective about the history and location of the franchise, and get your cup etc. Team fortunes change season by season... some are more volatile than others. However, all teams have had their lulls and success.

Losing Zach would hurt this team... however, I'm not sold on his true impact on this team's philosophy. (ie, Stevens). Stevens was impossible to replace. Zach is very difficult to replace because he has a rare skillset, and to do so would be very expensive.

I don't think we're going to see him resigned during the season. It's going to be your typical will he/won't he through July 1, and if not later. I think he'll see what opportunities are out there, and compare to what he has here.

Thing is he wants to be on a cup contender, not just a playoff calibre team. We are def not a cup contender this year by any means and probably wont be a the next few while we go through this minor rebuilding phase.

If they are talking cap hit, what players are his peers as far as stats go and command over 8 Mill?

I guess directly Eric Staal?

Ovechkin - 9,538,462 - 13 years

Malkin - $8.70mm - 5 years

Crosby - $8.70mm - 5 years

E Staal - $8.25mm - 7 years

------------

Nash - $7.8mm - 8 years

Lecavalier $7,727,273 - 11 years

Heatley $7.5mm - 6 years

Gaborik $7.5mm - 5 years

Stamkos $7.5mm - 5 years

If Zach doesn't resign then the captaincy goes to Kovy, no doubt.. And by the fans' comments around me during last home game, he's the worst player on our team :giggle:

Isn't that the most preposterious thing you've ever exerienced, colin? It blows my mind that people are so stupid, but I guess that's life.

I've watched, played and now coached hockey for over 20 years. Kovy is a stud, period. Do I get frustrated when he misses the net on the PP and it leads to a breakaway the other way? Sure. Do I grit my teeth when he gives up on a play after making or receiving a sh!tty pass? Absolutely.

BUT. When he's on, he can be the best player in the building. Lemaire obviously made it clear that he needed to play more of a team game when he came here, and you can tell he's trying (and sometimes, fighting) it. These two morons in Sec 20 last game were yelling at him the whole game about how much he sucked...much to the chagrin of a man and his family next to them. When Kovy danced around that backcheck at full speed and put Patty's pass in the net for the 3-2 lead, the older man just looked at the two loud haters next to him and just shook his head. It was priceless.

The guy is an amazing player, no questions about it. If you cant see it, I'm sorry, but I cannot respect your ability to understand the game. His contract is a separate discussion all together...

• Like 4

Thing is he wants to be on a cup contender, not just a playoff calibre team. We are def not a cup contender this year by any means and probably wont be a the next few while we go through this minor rebuilding phase.

Any team that makes the playoffs can win the cup. The stacked teams are stacked already and can't fit an 8mm contract on their roster and they aren't really sustainable because players want their money. Boston is very fortunate that they were basically able to keep their team together for another go this season.

If you want to sign for big money, you need to pick a team and lead them to the cup with your supporting cost. It's time for Parise to lead this team to victory.

• Like 1

The guy is an amazing player, no questions about it. If you cant see it, I'm sorry, but I cannot respect your ability to understand the game. His contract is a separate discussion all together...

+1

Kovy is far and away one of the best pure offense guys to play the game. It doesn't mean he's a complete player that you can build championships around - but he has been trying since coming to NJ to be a better all around player, but it's not his 'way'. That's why we need Parise or someone of his ilk to lead us.

But you also need that Kovy swag to put up that goal when you need one. He's starting to get hot again in that regard.

• Like 1

thing is Zach never said he would want to sign with a contender "now, he said that he wants to be competitive and have a shot at the cup

i mean seriously... i like how honnest Zach is but those articles are blowing this thing out of proportion...

name me a player who doesnt want money and win the cup ? seriously lol

I guess directly Eric Staal?

Ovechkin - 9,538,462 - 13 years

Malkin - $8.70mm - 5 years

Crosby - $8.70mm - 5 years

E Staal - $8.25mm - 7 years

------------

Nash - $7.8mm - 8 years

Lecavalier $7,727,273 - 11 years

Heatley $7.5mm - 6 years

Gaborik $7.5mm - 5 years

Stamkos $7.5mm - 5 years

Staal is way overpaid IMO. I would put him in the range of 7.5-7.8, similar to Stamkos or Lecavalier. He might not produce as much but is a franchise player. Carolina saw Staal as their franchise player and is probably why they overpaid.

thing is Zach never said he would want to sign with a contender "now, he said that he wants to be competitive and have a shot at the cup

i mean seriously... i like how honnest Zach is but those articles are blowing this thing out of proportion...

name me a player who doesnt want money and win the cup ? seriously lol

I am pretty sure I saw early on that he said he wants to be competitive and have a shot at the cup

Isn't that the most preposterious thing you've ever exerienced, colin? It blows my mind that people are so stupid, but I guess that's life.

I've watched, played and now coached hockey for over 20 years. Kovy is a stud, period. Do I get frustrated when he misses the net on the PP and it leads to a breakaway the other way? Sure. Do I grit my teeth when he gives up on a play after making or receiving a sh!tty pass? Absolutely.

BUT. When he's on, he can be the best player in the building. Lemaire obviously made it clear that he needed to play more of a team game when he came here, and you can tell he's trying (and sometimes, fighting) it. These two morons in Sec 20 last game were yelling at him the whole game about how much he sucked...much to the chagrin of a man and his family next to them. When Kovy danced around that backcheck at full speed and put Patty's pass in the net for the 3-2 lead, the older man just looked at the two loud haters next to him and just shook his head. It was priceless.

Not to turn this into a Kovy thread but +1 and a standing ovation for this post :cheers:

To me thats him saying already I am looking else where. Obviously this season is not going to end with the cup. Next season is also up in the air. This off season is going to need some major reconstruction. On the other hand money and the cup are obviously why all these players are here. They arent playing just to play and not work the night shift at BK. You can see the potential in this team.

Edited by Quinn01