Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Mets have some groundball starters that will suffer with Flores/Murphy up the middle: Wheeler, Mejia, Niese. All of these guys have a groundball percentage between 45% and 52% this season. Even Gee is at 42% himself (and 45% career). Colon is the closest thing to a flyball-pitcher in this rotation. 

Flores couldn't be more of a square peg in a round hole.  Great, he can tear up Vegas.  A lot of hitters do that.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it just shows how disastrous this teams finances are. Stephen Drew...problem solved for this year and next. But they can't do that. Instead they're going through all these machinations to try and find some sort of Band-Aid for short.

Our payroll is what? 24th in baseball? 25th? It's a small market team. We can't buy fixes, and if we can't grow a solution on the farm then you just have to jerry rig it

Plus Granderson looks like he may not have much left as a major league hitter, meanwhile Nelson Cruz and Jose Abreu are tearing things up. They really screwed things up this offseason. Very badly.

I also hope we're able to get solid returns for Colon and Chris Young by the deadline. Wouldn't mind trading Gee too if we can get a nice shortstop prospect

Edited by '7'

'7', Sandy is GMing like a guy who has pretty much given up and doesn't give a sh!t anymore.  I don't think he was ever really that crazy about the job to begin with, but something happened this offseason.  I'm only guessing, but I think Sandy did have some kind of Plan A, and was told at seemingly the last second that he didn't have nearly as much to spend as he thought he would.  I think he's been sulking and disinterested ever since.   

That being said, there are plenty of GMs out there who find ways to make do with smaller payrolls, and they don't go out and spend they money that they do have on big-time question marks like Granderson.  I swear, I think Sandy just didn't feel like expending much energy on trying to find cheaper, most cost-effective options, and just said "fvck it, he's an OF and I need one, he's available, here you go."  I don't kid myself...I think working for the Wilpons is no easy task, but at the same time, if you're mentally done, then just leave.  There's pieces in place that suggest that this team really can contend in 2015 and beyond, but it's going to take some work, and even if the Mets are partly to blame for Sandy becoming useless, that doesn't mean they have to keep him around.  The Mets GM job is still one of 30 MLB GM jobs available, and even if the owners are incompetent morons, it has been shown that you CAN put winning teams on the field.  Someone would kill for the chance to be the Met GM, especially with some of the young pitching.  The Wilpons needs to pull their heads out of their asses long enough to find out where Sandy's head is, because if he's as defeated and disinterested in the state of the Mets as he seems to be, he needs to be tossed out on his ass. 

Mets' "plan" with Montero, per Martino: give him some relief stints in AAA, bring him to the Majors as a reliever, send him back to stretch out as a starter, recall him as a starter.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/baseballinsider/plan-ny-mets-prospect-rafael-montero-curtis-granderson-intend-muse-a-rod-uh-shaves-body-hair-blog-entry-1.1785712#ixzz31ED865MH

Let's hope this is just a bunch of bullsh!t because it's downright fvcking moronic. 

Edited by nmigliore

Are they really THAT desperate to 'win today'? I mean geez why not just have him start now then relieve at the end of the season when you're keeping his innings down? Not like there won't be a spot for him in the pen at that point.

This is where it gets maddening.  They clearly don't have a plan.  A team that is trying to win now brings in Drew for a couple of years, doesn't have Kyle Farnsworth and Dice K in its bullpen, etc.  But yeah, don't now decide for the moment you're going to try to win now by fvcking with Montero.  That's beyond stupid (even for the Mets). 

This is where it gets maddening. They clearly don't have a plan. A team that is trying to win now brings in Drew for a couple of years, doesn't have Kyle Farnsworth and Dice K in its bullpen, etc. But yeah, don't now decide for the moment you're going to try to win now by fvcking with Montero. That's beyond stupid (even for the Mets).

They're trying to do both at the same time (develop and win now), they're ridiculously inconsistent. They prioritize Super 2 as if they're a small market and don't go after Drew but then they run all their pen arms into the ground and do stupid things like Joba'ing Montero and Mejia.

At this point, I would just leave Montero alone.  Leave Mejia alone too...at least the guy is healthy and pitching every 5th day, finally.  Can't we give it at least until August or so before deciding his future with the Mets is in the bullpen?

And yeah, though I get the Super 2 mentality to an extent, it just reeks of a "Well, we're gonna lose him anyway, so we need that one more year".  Very small-market, and very aggravating.   

Super 2 isn't even about keeping him an extra year -- that date already passed. It's a pure salary move that ensures he goes through arbitration 3 times instead of possibly 4 (and thus earning less overall money).

Edited by nmigliore

What is this, an American League game?  Still in the eighth inning after 3 and a half plus hours.  Now I'm glad I didn't go to this one either (as much the crappy weather that kept me away as anything else).

Even Keith is making fun of the game lol

Keith Hernandez just revealed that he got texts from friends in Sag Harbor who have watched whole game and are "frustrated."

Keith, Gary, and Ron have seriously been the most redeeming aspect of this franchise. Sometimes the only reason to keep watching when the Mets are getting curb stomped or embarrassing themselves...just because of Keith's quips.

More than four hours and just now this game's going into extra innings...this is now getting into trainwreck territory where you can't help but look in.

Can't see it lasting long too deep into extras with these two pens.

well, that should do it. glad they wont stretch it to 20 like last year with the Marlins disasters. get it over with in 11 and keep on humiliating yourself Mets. 7 losses in 8 games

23 Rbi's for Byrd already. Meanwhile we're stuck with Granderson who looks like he should be out of baseball soon. And Chris Young who will hit .220, drive in 40 runs, strike out a billion times and collect 7 mil. Who needed Nelson Cruz?

Edited by '7'

lol the Wilpons can't be too thrilled over their home broadcast showing people sleeping in the stands and the announcers continuing to take shots at the game

The Wilpons aren't watching or caring.

2 runs in the last 34 innings. Keep up the great work

Edited by '7'

Eric Campbell being recalled. Satin likely going down.

Good for Soupy. He's hitting .355/.442/.525 with as many walks as strikeouts (20). He's a better athlete and is more versatile than Satin -- in 2014 alone he's played games at 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, and RF for the 51's -- and given his strong spring showing, probably would've made the Opening Day bench if not for Satin's fluky right place/right time moment last season.

Edited by nmigliore