The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

cannot believe the flyers traded Hartnell.  He is the framework of what fans consider a "true flyer."  like devilsfan just said, he was a fan favorite.

Umberger, who is the same age as Harnell, making only about a couple hundred thousand less than Hartnell, and scored 20 less points than Hartnell last year. Columbus threw in a 4th rounder but that in no way makes sense for philly

On the bright side for us, he's no longer in philly.. but the bad news is hes still in our division and just on a team just as competitive as the flyers

cannot believe the flyers traded Hartnell.  He is the framework of what fans consider a "true flyer."  like devilsfan just said, he was a fan favorite.

Umberger, who is the same age as Harnell, making only about a couple hundred thousand less than Hartnell, and scored 20 less points than Hartnell last year. Columbus threw in a 4th rounder but that in no way makes sense for philly

On the bright side for us, he's no longer in philly.. but the bad news is hes still in our division and just on a team just as competitive as the flyers

I think it's the fact that Hartnell is under contract for something like another five years is what made the Flyers want to make the trade.

I disagree with all negative sentiments on here.  You have no idea what's in the works.  I have no evidence to support his, but I think Sal might retire.  I watched the 2014 Break-up day where reporters talked to him and he specifically stated that he can't skate with his nagging groin and foot injuries.  That is very much a possibility, maybe with some encouragement from a George Steinbrunner signed baseball bat that Lou keeps under his desk. :uni: 

"Hey Bryce, come on in and sit down!" 

We can deal with one of Salvador or Volchenkov.  As for the forward corps, we can expect a new face or two, but its sink or swim time for the young forwards on the team not named Henrique.  The Devils have looked towards youth in the past and I expect the younger players to really step up.  No-one has mentioned the abundance of cap space the Devils have this offseason either.  There is plenty of time and space to make moves.  Stop freaking out.

Who's freaking out?  I think most people are taking the wait-and-see approach (but are pretty clear about what they DON'T want to see when July 1 arrives).  Lou's quotes aren't exactly inspiring, but I don't make that much of that myself...like I said, Lou's not exactly Captain Quotable. 

I believe Salvador can be moved at the draft or Volchenkov can be moved for an equally bad contract up front.

The issue is whether Lou actually wants to move either of them. 

Volchenkov also has an NTC. 

I disagree with all negative sentiments on here.  You have no idea what's in the works.  I have no evidence to support his, but I think Sal might retire.  I watched the 2014 Break-up day where reporters talked to him and he specifically stated that he can't skate with his nagging groin and foot injuries.  That is very much a possibility, maybe with some encouragement from a George Steinbrunner signed baseball bat that Lou keeps under his desk. :uni: 

"Hey Bryce, come on in and sit down!" 

We can deal with one of Salvador or Volchenkov.  As for the forward corps, we can expect a new face or two, but its sink or swim time for the young forwards on the team not named Henrique.  The Devils have looked towards youth in the past and I expect the younger players to really step up.  No-one has mentioned the abundance of cap space the Devils have this offseason either.  There is plenty of time and space to make moves.  Stop freaking out.

There is no way that Sal is retiring and leaving $3 million on the table.

3rd year in a row I'm saying this but there has to be a trade in the works to alleviate the D logjam...right?

Well there was one last year, just wasn't enough. There was reason to think it might have been enough since you couldn't count on Merrill or Gelinas making the team so early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such pessimism - the best thing we read in that article is that Brodeur is moving on, and that matters so much more than the 'logjam' on D - which logjam of course alleviates itself with one injury, or one move.  It is unfortunate that they are apparently priviliging the PK over 5 on 5 - and thus Volchenkov over Fayne - but so it goes.  Still, obviously the best part is Brodeur going somewhere else, hopefully.

“We’re going forward. Cory is the goalie of the future for this team,” general manager Lou Lamoriello said Monday. http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/06/devils_cory_schneider_one_year_after_trade_is_he_ready_to_be_the_teams_undisputed_no_1.html

Best thing I've heard Lou say in a long, long time.

I suppose this also means there's a good chance that an extension is being announced on July 1 or thereabouts.

Such pessimism - the best thing we read in that article is that Brodeur is moving on, and that matters so much more than the 'logjam' on D - which logjam of course alleviates itself with one injury, or one move.  It is unfortunate that they are apparently priviliging the PK over 5 on 5 - and thus Volchenkov over Fayne - but so it goes.  Still, obviously the best part is Brodeur going somewhere else, hopefully.

Can't argue the Brodeur part.  It'd be nice if you didn't hear the equivalents of "Never say never" (I'd prefer to just hear never), but under the circumstances I can understand all of the reasons why neither party will just come out and say that.  As far as Lou-speak goes, it sounds like it's about 90% that Marty isn't coming back. 

You did say this all last season though as well

This season there will be one fewer defenseman if Fayne walks.

Which I think is a given.

If we keep him, where does Larsson slot in?

Edited by coldply123

I'm not worried about losing one or even two defenseman. Gelinas, Merrill and hopefully Larsson will all be full timers this season, we still have Harrold and some other decent D men in the A that are one year older and closer to getting a shot with the big club. You never know, Fayne was only expected to be a injury replacement in 10-11. No one was expecting him to have such a positive impact.

Isles need to add bodies and payroll (9-ish million by my count/estimate). So my best guess would be Volchenkov to Isles.

I'm also not too worried about Lou saying there's probably no buy-out in the works. Why would a team trade for one of Volchenkov/Salvador when they can sign them on July 1 for less money? I think Lou goes into the draft, tries to move Volchenkov and if he can't then he buys him out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Thornton goes to the Rangers.

Lou seems to be perpetually trying to reincarnate those successful Devils teams that had maybe one or two uber-talented players and a roster full of role players except I think the Kovy thing has made him gun shy to go after any uber players.