Marty's Quote at trade deadline

EdgeControl

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/03/devils_martin_brodeur_had_a_feeling_he_wouldnt_be_traded_happy_to_stay_in_new_jersey.html

"I've never had a bad relationship with any guy I've ever played with. Ever! Regardless of the amount of ice time I've had or other guys didn't have. There was never friction. I understand this is a coach's decision. But if I have anyone to blame, I won't blame it on Cory.. that's for sure. I'll blame it on somebody else first." --Brodeur

I took this as a shot @ Lou, for blindsiding Marty with the Schneider trade, with 1 year still left on Brodeur's contract.

I'm not sure how to read that one, honestly.  It's a bit vague.  Though if Marty was going for what you were suggesting, what did he think Lou was supposed to do, not improve the team for the present and the future when a great opportunity presented itself?

It's all about the wins. Can't wait to see this place if we lose tonight and win tomorrow and Marty gets the ball again. 

15 wins in 30 starts vs. 12 wins in 34 starts. Take every other stat and cram them. 

Because there is just no way anyone should expect that to continue.  Brodeur's not the cause.  If this had played out the other way, with Schneider getting the goal support, NJ would be sitting in a playoff spot right now because Schneider would've played more, he's a better goalie, and he gives the Devils a better chance to win on any given night.

If Marty was going for what you were suggesting, what did he think Lou was supposed to do, not improve the team for the present and the future when a great opportunity presented itself?

..to be fair CR.. is this the situation that Marty signed up for 2 years ago?

I'm not saying Marty's right, but if there's animosity between Lou & Brodeur because of it.. can't you somewhat see Brodeur's point? He signed on thinking Lou would honor Henberg's contract. Johan & Marty signed roughly at the same time. 

If Moose was still on the team this year.. does Marty have 30 starts, or 60?

I'm not saying Marty's right, but if there's animosity between Lou & Brodeur because of it.. can't you somewhat see Brodeur's point? He signed on thinking Lou would honor Henberg's contract. Johan & Marty signed roughly at the same time. 

Marty gets paid the same amount of money either way, he can deal with it.  If he doesn't see that Lou is trying to improve the team, he's not worth having on the team.  HOI is right, there were a billion better ways to handle this, but for some reason Brodeur thinks that he's sitting because ... I don't know why.  I don't think Brodeur knows why he isn't playing more, and that's the saddest part.  He's delusional.

Edited by Triumph

can we stop with the "wins" arguement. 29 teams just showed what they think of broduer as an NHL backup. thats reality hitting home.  yet he comes off the same day , after getting EMBARRASSED on the national stage, and plays a power move. just unreal! 

Marty has to realize the team is bigger than him.  Hedberg was awful last season (as we know, sometimes guys his age lose it seemingly overnight) and clearly could not be given another year in net.  Marty had to understand that Moose had to go, as it was clearly best for the team.  The guy was simply not an NHL goaltender anymore, and I've got to think Marty could see that.   

I can't see Marty's point because I think he was given a very fair chance to play for much of the season, at Cory's expense...it's not like Lou brought Cory in and said, "OK Marty, you're pretty much the backup now."  It took Cory basically playing among the very best for him to get the run he deserved, and one meh start against the Sharks has somehow put Marty and Cory on equal footing again, and it's truly bewildering. 

PK...have you been classified by a psychiatrist?  Because let me tell you brother, your posts are as vague as an Edgar Allen Poe piece.  Half the time I have no clue how to read your posts with any type of concreteness.  No offense man, just my observation.  Keep on postin man...lol

hahaha

What it said was : Marty!  YOU'RE OLD!  ACCEPT IT!  Accept it and work within those confines ---  or die a painful career-death in the media.

The reason I put all those other words in: 

1) I'm a  chick 

2) I'm old.  I understand what that means. If anyone younger than 40 says "Dude you're old" he has no idea what he's talking about in any specific way - just a vague "hey I put on a few pounds myself" way.  It's not at all the same as when you really start to age and it is biologically IMPOSSIBLE for things to get back to the way they were.  When your reading eyes go -- THEY AREN'T COMING BACK!  Hard work and eye exercises will not get your sight back.  Other things like your reaction time, will not magically come back once it's gone.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Totally agree.   He carried us early in the season

He had one terrific good 10-game run from 10/26 to 11/25, and it was a lot of fun to watch for sure...probably his last hurrah, as far as playing well goes for a decent stretch goes.  He's been pretty bad otherwise. 

I wish he would just accept the team cannot afford to wait for him to hit on a good streak.  Streaky is not an option - it's his job to work around that not the teams job to be patient with him. 

and I HATE that quote -- I'm not going to be mad at Cory I'm going to mad an SOMEONE ELSE.

YOURSELF YOU DUMB sh!t!  BE MAD AT YOURSELF!  :rant:

Sure Marty isn't that bad -- but not so bad isn't an option on ANY professional sports team much less a struggling one. 

Inconsistent has NEVER been an option - why must the team be patient wiht his finding his groove?  Why shoudl the present make way for the faded past?  It's illogical.  I HATE how he's saying he refuses to accept personal responsibility. 

CONSISTENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE DEVILS WAY!!!  It's not some big surprise.   <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn

I wish he would just accept the team cannot afford to wait for him to hit on a good streak.  Streaky is not an option - it's his job to work around that not the teams job to be patient with him. 

and I HATE that quote -- I'm not going to be mad at Cory I'm going to mad an SOMEONE ELSE.

YOURSELF YOU DUMB sh!t!  BE MAD AT YOURSELF!  :rant:

Sure Marty isn't that bad -- but not so bad isn't an option on ANY professional sports team much less a struggling one. 

Inconsistent has NEVER been an option - why must the team be patient wiht his finding his groove?  Why shoudl the present make way for the faded past?  It's illogical.

Actually, for much of the season he really has been bad.  Goal support has been his best friend. 

I bet Marty would rather miss the playoffs altogether if he knew Cory was going to be the starter. Just sad. 

so true -- and he won't accept that it's HIM.  His body his skills are the reason he's NOT winning games.

sad?  man, sad doesn't even start especially with his own lack of patience with others.  We never saw Marty as a ME guy because he didnt' have to be -- everyone was a Marty guy... now that no one is we see how self-centered and blind to his own faults the dude really is.  an no one is going to help him out of this by telling him the hard truth in a way he HAS to hear it.

what's funny is Marty is that guy -- he's that guy who tells it like it is in his friendly happy go lucky way.

Marty woudl say about Marty:  I donno.  I'm not the guy - you know?  and it's hard... it's hard to, you know, not be where you expect to be in your career. For someone.  It's a hard thing.  Do you blame the guy ?  No.  But it's kind of sad.  I'm sad for him.  You just hope he can... work things out for himself. You know?  What can you say?"

Edited by Pepperkorn

He had one terrific good 10-game run from 10/26 to 11/25, and it was a lot of fun to watch for sure...probably his last hurrah, as far as playing well goes for a decent stretch goes.  He's been pretty bad otherwise. 

I don't see that.   He is used to playing everynight and he has to adjust to not being the guy anymore (which is the issue).   I don't think there is a goalie I would rather have down the stretch.  Especially, if he is looking to prove he still has some gas left in the tank for other teams next season.

I don't see that.   He is used to playing everynight and he has to adjust to not being the guy anymore (which is the issue).   I don't think there is a goalie I would rather have down the stretch.  Especially, if he is looking to prove he still has some gas left in the tank for other teams next season.

Welcome to 1998.  God, that Barenaked Ladies 'One Week' song sure is annoying, huh?  And how's about the President and Monica Lewinsky?  Crazy stuff.

Marty's issue is that he is bad and has not been good for 3 years.  

can we stop with the "wins" arguement. 29 teams just showed what they think of broduer as an NHL backup. thats reality hitting home. yet he comes off the same day , after getting EMBARRASSED on the national stage, and plays a power move. just unreal!

In his mind he sees it as Lou refused to trade him more than nobody else wanted him. And maybe there's some truth to that if they've gone back to bending over backwards for him.

I'm not saying Marty's right, but if there's animosity between Lou & Brodeur because of it.. can't you somewhat see Brodeur's point? He signed on thinking Lou would honor Henberg's contract. Johan & Marty signed roughly at the same time.

Marty's seen Lou buy out guys before including White and Pandolfo.

I wish he would just accept the team cannot afford to wait for him to hit on a good streak. Streaky is not an option - it's his job to work around that not the teams job to be patient with him.

YOURSELF YOU DUMB sh!t! BE MAD AT YOURSELF! :rant:

Inconsistent has NEVER been an option - why must the team be patient wiht his finding his groove? Why shoudl the present make way for the faded past? It's illogical. I HATE how he's saying he refuses to accept personal responsibility.

CONSISTENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE DEVILS WAY!!! It's not some big surprise. <_<

PK, that quote made me lose it- 'I don't blame Cory, I blame someone else'. Are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Look in the mirror you selfish prick. And it really kills me to write that about OUR guy, OUR all-time great... But I call 'em like I see 'em and Marty is being an a&#036;&#036;hole.

I'm getting sick of hearing about this.

+1

Not that I think we shouldn't be talking about it -- we're fans, of course we love talking about our favorite team. And it is an interesting dilemma from an armchair GM's perspective.

It just sucks when a true legend gets close to his last days.

+1

Not that I think we shouldn't be talking about it -- we're fans, of course we love talking about our favorite team. And it is an interesting dilemma from an armchair GM's perspective.

It just sucks when a true legend gets close to his last days.

That's what I am getting sick of.  WE should be talking about it, sure.  But Marty needs to stop talking about it.  Enough is enough.  We need to move forward and move on and that is exactly why I was disappointed when he was not moved out of town this week.  If we want to make the playoffs or even come close, our BEST CHANCE is not with Martin Brodeur in net...that's the end of the story.

i feel bad for Marty here. a lot of this stems from the outdoor game when he was hung out to dry on all those 2 and 3 on 1s.

lies. Most of those were awful goals. He played horrifically. Devils were up 3-1 and never should've lost that game

"I don't blame Cory, I blame someone else"

BLAME YOUR fvckING SELF FOR ONCE FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO STOP A GOD DAMN SHOT

If Martin Brodeur was a Buffalo Sabre this season he'd have 3 wins MAXIMUM. The Devils...a team on pace to score less than 200 goals is somehow averaging 3+ for Brodeur and the only explanation is absolute bizarre dumb luck. It has nothing to do with his presence in net or puckhandling.

Edited by '7'

lies. Most of those were awful goals. He played horrifically. Devils were up 3-1 and never should've lost that game

"I don't blame Cory, I blame someone else"

BLAME YOUR fvckING SELF FOR ONCE FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO STOP A GOD DAMN SHOT

Agreed with that sentiment.

In his mind he sees it as Lou refused to trade him more than nobody else wanted him.

This.

I think Marty's more angry than ever now. On-top of being held hostage for another 19 games, there's this newfound consensus out there that; "Marty wasn't traded, because nobody wanted Marty" -and I think that makes him livid. I think 2 years ago he was using the option of playing on another team as leverage.. I don't think he ever really negotiated with other GM's. His quotes this year however make it seem like he's eager to get to July 1st.. because he's done in NJ.

"What might impact Wednesday’s 3:00 pm NHL trade deadline? "We’ll see." Brodeur said. "That’s something I can’t control. I’d love to control it more, trust me.. because I’d like to play more. Wednesday will come and go, and we’ll see one way or the other. But that most likely will be out of my hands."

..that speaks volumes to me, in the sense of Brodeur's thinking as to: what exactly took place two days ago. I know alot fans were speculating that Brodeur would've been side-by-side at Lou's desk working the phones, but that was never going to be the case. I really feel that Brodeur doesn't believe Lou may have done his absolute best in dealing him.. and now, (as ThreeCups said earlier) he'll go to any other team in 4 months, just to try and prove a point to Lou that; 'you can't control me!' type defiance.

Edited by Beezer34