FOOOOORREE! Says the Rangers

DevilMinder

"Maybe Devils fans need to experience real anguish and disappointment like Ranger fans have over the past five years to fully understand why this thread is completely over the edge and distasteful."

Response: The Devils will never, ever have both the HIGHEST payroll in the league AND miss the playoffs for SIX YEARS RUNNING!! Ergo, Devils fans will NEVER experience anything remotely similar to the anguish and embarrassment that Rangers' fans have of late. (Sometimes I think the Rangers' free spending ways are a sick strategy to force a salary cap upon the team, so they are forced by rule to abandon their mismanagement style"

"For me personally, I could give a flying crap about the team that plays in East Rutherford."

Response: Then why are you here? And why are you responding to these threads? Your actions belie your words, dear Derek.

"The last five years have taught me something. That the only thing that MATTERS is the team I support. That will never change. I want to see them win and qualify for the postseason. I don't care about who loses. I care about what's really IMPORTANT.

Maybe the same thing has to happen to some of you here. Maybe you need to have your team stink and miss the postseason to have reality set back on you."

Response: Is Dr. Melfi busy or just too expensive? Whatever the case, we're glad to give you a chance to talk it all out.

"If I didn't know any better, this thread was made on April 6th, 2003. Wow! Time sure flew. Another season gone badly. Oh well."

Response: Just you wait . . . In the meantime, you might want to dig through the ESPN records to figure out how teams performing like the Rangers are now at this point in a season have historically fared in collecting playoff revenue . . .

"The only reason I broke my silence last night was because it wasn't one thread about them. It was three!!!!! Talk about being obsessed. Face it. Some of you are obsessed with the Rangers. Someone posting a photo of Lindros down on all fours was disgusting and a lowpoint for this place."

Reponse: Why do three threads matter and one does not? I thought you didn't care about that lame franchise from E. Rutherford, anyway. In any event, the only thing that was disgusting and a lowpoint from the Rags-Caps game was the Skirts' performance.

"So, am I supposed to watch the rest of the games? I mean afterall, you people were so obsessed with two bad Ranger losses over the weekend that you chose to eliminate them and put up this "genius thread" on January 26th, 2002.

Why bother watching the remaining 30 games? They have no chance anyway according to the "experts" on this board."

Response: All good points.

"You know something. I'm glad this was done. I hope it comes back to bite you at the end of the schedule because you can bet your asses I will post something about it if the Rangers make it."

Response: Wishful thinking. Ot won't happen. Plus, is it really something to brag about when the HIGHEST PAYROLL IN THE LEAGUE and, per your suggestions, THE BEST FANS IN THE WORLD barely squeaks into the playoffs? If hell does freeze over, brag all you want. I'll just be confused.

"It just shows how arrogant some Devil fans can be. They NEVER do anything wrong. Like some of your fans didn't talk trash about how '97 was going to be different? "

Response: No one ever said that some Dev fans aren't arrogant (and why is that a sin, Pope Derek?) And from reading this board daily, I am honestly stunned that anyone could claim that Devs fans believe that the Devs NEVER do anything wrong. In fact, sometimes I think we hold the team to the Burns' "higher standard", and rip them unfairly. P.S. 1997 IS a long time ago, isn't it?

"Every fanbase has jerks. People who make moronic comments ruining it for the classy diehard fans who don't take part in that garbage.

Seems like there's a lot of anger here. Guess there are a lot of Ranger fans over the year who talked smack to Devil fans. "

Response: Fair enough.

"I don't believe in trashtalk. I will continue to root for my team and hope they win every game left on their schedule. That's all I can do as a fan. Support them."

Response: Nice deke, Derek. You purport not the believe in trashtalk, but then write the following:

"I think the fans who post here are very good fans of their team. If there were more fans like yourselves, maybe you wouldn't have to hear a Brodeur or Madden complain about the lack of support they sometimes get at home games. A lot of you ask why don't the Devils, an elite team get better national television coverage? It's because of sad scenes like the one in Game 6 last year against Carolina. Down a goal when the home team really needed its sixth man, a lot of fans bailed on them with almost 2:00 left and booed. National coverage doesn't want to show that. It's a bad reflection on the game. It's also the fourth major sport way behind football, baseball and everyone's favorite b'ball

Maybe a new arena will help. One never knows."

"See you all in April."

Response: At CAA, maybe.

P.S. Tell Steve Levy he's a genius. Rangers and Colorado in the SCF? Good thing I lost my bookie's no. last fall . . .

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last five years have taught me something. That the only thing that MATTERS is the team I support. That will never change. I want to see them win and qualify for the postseason. I don't care about who loses. I care about what's really IMPORTANT.

Maybe the same thing has to happen to some of you here. Maybe you need to have your team stink and miss the postseason to have reality set back on you.

Well, I've already gone through hockey HELL with one team (that has since relocated), so I'm quite aware of what it's like to suffer. But, honestly, Derek, don't take this stuff so seriously :P . It's good natured smack talk!!!! What's REALLY truly important is earning a living, having good health, having a happy family, having your basic needs met.. NOT a hockey team. I mean, it's nice if a team wins and all, but my life would not cease to exist if the Devils suddenly started to blow.

As for Ranger$ fans, I can assure you that MANY of them have said NASTY sh** about NJ fans and the Devs in the past (and even the present at times), which is partly why the board gets great glee in the Ranger$ sucking. Quite a few NYR fans have been known to get very arrogant, like the world revolves around their team and fanbase (I also got this impression well before I even rooted for the Devs, when I was a Whaler fan).... so it's only natural Dev fans would get a chuckle at seeing the Ranger$ completely rot.

Agree with Eldon. I started as Devs fan in 87 & only became a "Ranger-fan hater" after numerous run-ins with, IMO, bad fans of the Rangers.

They used to rub it in so bad, when they had won nothing!!!

I used to really hate Ranger players too but realized it was my own problem. So since 95, I cooled off & learned to never hate the players because they are on Blueshirts. (Some players like Barnaby & others you cannot like mo matter what sweater they wear)

Derek, this is a Devs board where we privately are allowed to speak our thoughts, good or bad. We're not making them public.

I don't like references to Lindros' injury but it was the most dramatic play I've ever seen, so it will always be referred too, but should not, IMO, be rejoiced at.

You should note that a pic was posted, maybe in a bit over-zealous moment, but it was quickly squashed by ALL the members of this board.

Probably including the original poster.

Can I ask a few questions? Why do we always have to justify anti-Rangers posts here on a Devils board?

Why do Devils fans here on a Devils board have to tread lightly in our comments in regard to the Rangers?

I don't believe the same courtesy is extended to Devils fans on a Ranger board or any other teams boards, nor would I expect it, nor should those other boards do it!

Again, Derek, you're just like the starving man looking in on the room full of people watching the Super Bowl and you wonder how can people care about this crap that much?

I dislike the Rangers. I dislike the Flyers. I want to see them lose. If the Devils don't win in the first round, well hey, the Rangers aren't going to make the playoffs, so we're still one up on them, no matter how they try to spin it.

Take your self-righteous attitude back to the Cafe if you're going to be this whiny about it. Accept the fact that we revel in the Rangers' losses. Maybe we shouldn't. But we do, and we love seeing agitators like Duguay storm in here in August, only to be licking their wounds by January.

As if the Ranger$ fans wouldn't love to have the shoe on the other foot?  I know there was sure no shortage of smack talk from Ranger$ fans on the AO-Hell boards in '97 when the Ranger$ beat us, far more mean-spirited than this thread too, which as people have pointed out is in a Devils forum after all.  I think we'd look pretty silly going over to the Cafe and whining about every Devil diss over there.  Just as we'd look classless flaming over there.

Maybe you should scan through the threads at the Cafe. I can't recall any Devils-bashing threads.

And I think all the talk of the Rangers demise is still a bit premature.

C, you guys would look pretty silly bashing the Devs now :lol: I'm sure there was plenty of mocking the Devils after Holik signed with you in the Spring. I KNOW there'd be plenty of mocking if the shoe were totally on the other foot, don't try to tell me there wouldn't be.

Nah, most of the Holik talk centered around how he brought what the team lacked and that it would be great for the Rangers not to have to play against him anymore.

There probably would be some Devils bashing if they weren't so much higher in the standings. Of course that doesn't stop the Flyers bashing as there is always something to poke fun at Bobby Clarke about. ;)

Maybe some of the younger generation Devils fans need to experience real anguish and disappointment like Ranger fans have over the past five years to fully understand why this thread is completely over the edge and distasteful.

gee, i wonder who he's referring to here? hey maybe i wasn't around during the 82-87 years but it's not like my opinion can't count because of it. come on, you were my age once... no i don't know everything nor will i ever come remotely close, but i'm still allowed to have a pro-devils and anti-rangers opinion, ESPECIALLY on a devils board. i'll learn with time... everyone does.

For me personally, I could give a flying crap about the team that plays in East Rutherford.

The last five years have taught me something. That the only thing that MATTERS is the team I support. That will never change. I want to see them win and qualify for the postseason. I don't care about who loses. I care about what's really IMPORTANT.

Sunday, January 27, 2003:

Rangers Games:1

Devils Games: 0

there are usually a billion threads about the devils game on gameday, why are you so offended when there are three on the rangers on a day they're playing and the devils aren't?

Maybe the same thing has to happen to some of you here. Maybe you need to have your team stink and miss the postseason to have reality set back on you.

but honestly, think about what you're doing... IN RESPONSE TO US BEING HAPPY ABOUT THE RANGERS' DEMISE, YOU GET OFFENDED AND PRAY FOR THE DEVILS' DEMISE. how is it any friggin' different?!?!?! don't yell at us for not being as "classy" as you are when wishing the same thing for our fans as we do for your fans.

If I didn't know any better, this thread was made on April 6th, 2003. Wow! Time sure flew. Another season gone badly. Oh well.

once again, wishing our demise after being offended we wished for the rangers' demise.

The only reason I broke my silence last night was because it wasn't one thread about them. It was three!!!!! Talk about being obsessed. Face it. Some of you are obsessed with the Rangers. Someone posting a photo of Lindros down on all fours was disgusting and a lowpoint for this place.

the photo was disgusting... notice how dm said it wouldn't be classy and we didn't use it? OH YEAH I FORGOT ABOUT YOUR SELECTIVE MEMORY!

and may i remind you: rangers games? 1. devils games? 0.

So, am I supposed to watch the rest of the games? I mean afterall, you people were so obsessed with two bad Ranger losses over the weekend that you chose to eliminate them and put up this "genius thread" on January 26th, 2002.

i don't know if i mentioned it already, but this "genius thread" was put up on a day when the rangers played and the devils didn't... just making sure i didn't forget.

Why bother watching the remaining 30 games? They have no chance anyway according to the "experts" on this board.

i was always good in math. 730 on my SAT's. all A's throughout high school and college. if playing the numbers game is an awful thing, friggin' sue me. i mentioned in every post that they still had a chance of making it in, even generating the number of wins and losses they would have to get it. forgive me for using the neutral science of mathematics... i guess mathematics is too anti-rangers for you.

You know something. I'm glad this was done. I hope it comes back to bite you at the end of the schedule because you can bet your asses I will post something about it if the Rangers make it.

if anything you've ever said speaks for your character, this is it. you get offended by what we say than say the same sh!t from the other side. jesus it's a two-way street, no matter what you and several other, to say the least, rangers fans think of it. it's preposterous to get offended by what we say and then same THE EXACT SAME THING back to us, acting like you're totally right.

It just shows how arrogant some Devil fans can be. They NEVER do anything wrong. Like some of your fans didn't talk trash about how '97 was going to be different?

you know, generalization can kill an argument.

Every fanbase has jerks. People who make moronic comments ruining it for the classy diehard fans who don't take part in that garbage.

what, like you? the one that swears at us for doing something and then does the same thing to us? sure derek, you ALWAYS take the high road. i forgot how friggin' perfect you were.

Seems like there's a lot of anger here. Guess there are a lot of Ranger fans over the year who talked smack to Devil fans.

there have been a few, they came out in the off-season promising they would kick our asses, bragging how they stole holik from us, that it was their time now, that the devils were finished.

I don't believe in trashtalk. I will continue to root for my team and hope they win every game left on their schedule. That's all I can do as a fan. Support them.

Lesson 1 in Derekology: When a Devils fan wishes for the Rangers' demise, it is trashtalk. When a Rangers fan wishes for the Devils' demise, it is all they can do in supporting their team and their team alone.

I think the fans who post here are very good fans of their team. If there were more fans like yourselves, maybe you wouldn't have to hear a Brodeur or Madden complain about the lack of support they sometimes get at home games. A lot of you ask why don't the Devils, an elite team get better national television coverage? It's because of sad scenes like the one in Game 6 last year against Carolina. Down a goal when the home team really needed its sixth man, a lot of fans bailed on them with almost 2:00 left and booed. National coverage doesn't want to show that. It's a bad reflection on the game. It's also the fourth major sport way behind football, baseball and everyone's favorite b'ball

Maybe a new arena will help. One never knows.

i've never heard brodeur or madden complain about attendance. ok, maybe they'll say they wish they had more, but praising the fans we do have comes up about ten times as often. more importantly to this subject, i haven't seen brodeur or madden get up and say they'd like to stop playing for a winning team with bad attendance and start playing with a losing team with good attendance. but i guess that doesn't matter. hell i'd love to see the caa sell out. but when i watch the game on tv i'd rather see the devils winning than a few thousand more in the stands. but i guess you can't understand my logic.

See you all in April.

ah, finally, the end of the line. here's my final thought:

when it all comes down to it, you are a rangers fan complaining about the happiness (many, including me) devils fans get while seeing the rangers fail. you are doing this on a devils board. you were offended by us wishing for your demise and, in turn, wished for our demise but somehow claim to be the classier fan in the whole ordeal.

maybe i'll never understandyour logic, but i don't really feel the need to. you cry about us doing something, do the same thing, and act like you're entirely innocent. you're not. you are GUILTY of the same "crime" that we are. at least we admit our participation!

"see you all in april." i guess that means, "when the devils lose in april and i'm happy as sh!t, i'll be laughing and celebrating your demise while you guys cry about it."

is that it?

is that what you mean?

it certainly seems so.

if you're so correct in what we do is wrong, just f--king know that logic dictates that you are just as wrong.

this IS a devils board. if you want to bitch and moan about how stupid the devils fans are for liking the rangers' demise, do it at the cafe. we don't go over there and bitch and moan about how rangers fans wish for the devils' demise.

Of course that doesn't stop the Flyers bashing as there is always something to poke fun at Bobby Clarke about.  ;)

That's nothing to be ashamed of, C.

In fact, it may make you a better human being. :D

I can tell you there was a fair amount of smack from Ranger fans on the ESPN Devs board last summer re: LTHRB signing. Can't say anything about any other boards.

Edited by DevilMinder

Believe me, we laugh at the Rangers here in Detroit too.

I think it's funny when I can go to a Columbus game 200 miles down the road and see a franchise so young yet commands more respect than the Rangers in terms of EVERYTHING.

When we have a lockout, thank the Rangers for giving Holik 9 million dollars to. Does anyone know who Shawn Bates is? Well he's having a better season than Holik in terms of producing. Even Zetterberg from Detroit, who has never played an 82 game season is posting the same numbers as Holik.

And it's not about Jersey or Detroit being holier than thou, every team makes it's mistakes. The Rangers just do that so much better than other teams. At least the Rangers can pay their players.

I wouldn't go tying in Jersey fans leaving to poor national coverage. Go blame Betman. Why was ESPN showing ice skating here when a well thought out schedule by the NHL could've put a great match up on to pull some viewers from a SuperBowl that was trash? What are you doing to support interest in hockey? Our local cable company offers an excellent package for hockey fans for about $100 a season. I can pick what I want to watch. How many times have you streamed a Senators game off of NHL.com's radio deal?

The problem with the Rangers, and it's not that hard to realize this, is that they are an easy target. On paper, in terms of dollar signs they should be receiving all the heckling the Wings got for trying to "buy the cup." Well, the Wings shut everyone up by going through and eliminating four teams for the rights to hoist the cup. The Rangers, well, they're handing out gasoline.

When we have a lockout, thank the Rangers for giving Holik 9 million dollars to. Does anyone know who Shawn Bates is? Well he's having a better season than Holik in terms of producing.

I do!!!

He's awesome. One of those pesky players that you love having on your team. He's the guy who scored short-handed against CuJo last year in the playoffs.

He's an Isle, btw.

Does anyone know who Shawn Bates is?

I do!!!

One of those pesky players that you love having on your team. He's an Isle, btw.

Yeah me too...I sort of wish I hadn't used the Master Bates title on battaglia when I watch ol' Shawny boy :lol:

Edited by DevilMinder

I guess I didn't make myself clear. My feelings aren't hurt and my life doesn't depend on if my team qualifies.

There are much more important things in life than that.

I can't believe my friends (MaddDog and Pepperkorn) misunderstood me.

I just think it's a stupid thread because it's January. There's still lots of season left. That's why my feeling is that the timing makes no sense. You can get burned in the end. There's an expression I like to use. "He who laughs last laughs best." Well, it could wind up happening. You never know. The East isn't great by any stretch and I believe the Rangers best hockey is ahead of them. There's that Leetch guy who can make a difference and that Russian Rocket character.

If we miss, celebrate in April and toast yourselves.

Triumph is quite a character. He'd rather the Devils lose in round one and be able to say the Devils had a more successful season than the Rangers. LOL... I'd rather miss the playoffs entirely than choke in the first round because if your team does, that's what it will be.

Notice how I was so delegate in my wording in the last post before this one. I spoke the truth about some of you. Some are obsessed with the Rangers. Yet nobody who posted in this thread wants to admit that.

I'm glad we mean so much to you :D .

And here's another startling discovery. Hasan, when I posted on the Cafe, there was not one Devils bashing thread on that board. I agree with what C said.

I know some people who agree with what I said. Speak up, will ya ;)

Also, to DRafalski, there's no such thing as "buying a Cup." The thing that separates this great sport from the others is that one team has to win 16 times on the ice. That means winning four best-of-seven series.

The best team usually wins. There's no such thing as "flukes."

If a championship was bought, then I guess the other teams' players would be paid off to allow goals and take penalties. Some people.

Good luck the rest of the season. I'm sure the same gratitude is extended :evil: .

I just think it's a stupid thread because it's January. There's still lots of season left.

not for the rangers, they're on thin ice already

That's why my feeling is that the timing makes no sense. You can get burned in the end. There's an expression I like to use. "He who laughs last laughs best." Well, it could wind up happening. You never know. The East isn't great by any stretch and I believe the Rangers best hockey is ahead of them.

eh, I'll take my chances laughing now, :lol:

There's that Leetch guy who can make a difference and that Russian Rocket character.

you lost with them, you lost without them, and now you'll lose with them again

Well that was a short hiatus! Without backpaging too far into this thread which looks to be a long one, I agree with Risky and Sheeps; all good points. Madd Dog and Pepperkorn also made good points. You can combine the loyalty and verocity of following a team but remember it is a hockey team, not a life situation. Some people on this board can understand the importance of family and health more than others.

Derek you are too sensitive to what is the norm for every team, I don't care what sport it is. You get yourself all worked up over what DM said was classless and go off on a tangent then come back and re-explain yourself when you have calmed down. I have Rag co-workers and one today was joking to me, he brought it up, how bad they suck. He hates the Devils, supports the Rags but can still joke about it. He just welcomed a baby girl in October and that is the kind of thing that is important.

You can hit ignore or just not read but the people you are targeting--that is, if it isn't all of us--are thriving off your weakness and you are taking the bait, hook, line and sinker right down your throat. Your wishing a quick demise to our team is no different than what is being posted here. This is Hell and it is a Devils' board. You are what, the second or third highest poster on this board. What does that say? There's plenty of Devs' bashing going on--in print, on screen, online and in spoken words. Taking a shot about the attendance is scraping for something that won't hold. We'll take a Cup and so-so attendance over a packed house nightly over a losing record anyday. Scraping for 1997 is another one. Being supportive of the Rags no matter how much they suck is a good thing--that's what makes a real fan. Support them in good and bad seasons.

What is the younger generation? What is your age, around 26, 27? Old and seasoned. Plenty of people sat through many crappy years of the Devils having losing seasons and they have been built into a winning team. No one said anything about Devils fans never being wrong, not sure where that came from. :blink:

You can come back tomorrow or in April or in 2007 or whenever and Devils fans will still hate the Rags (and vice versa) and this will still be going on. The Hatfields and McCoys of the hockey world.

Thanks Derek, for proving my point. Nice spin. I think it's great when the highest salaried team misses the playoffs.. a lot better than going out first round for sure. Agree completely. The Devils' loss would be a choke, the Rangers season is a long, drawn out asphyxiation.

I agree with PK.. kind of silly to make your first post back here a whine-fest. You add good comments to the board, but your self-righteousness about what Devils fans should or shouldn't do is misplaced. Stay out of those threads (yea i know it's my turn to be self-righteous, whatever).

Whatever.

The Rangers Suck.

fvck the Rangers.

Bobby Hole-lick can kiss my ass.

fvck the Rangers.

They won't even make the first round.

fvck the Rangers.

Go cry somewhere else.

How's that for some REAL trash talking rather than apologetic, analytical bullsh!t we're expected to undertake on a frigging DEVILS MESSAGE BOARD?

And here's another startling discovery. Hasan, when I posted on the Cafe, there was not one Devils bashing thread on that board. I agree with what C said.

And AS I SAID TO C, it would be pretty stupid of Ranger$ fans to be making fun of the Devils NOW, no? That would be akin to a Orioles fan making fun of the Yankees :P

I wasn't gonna say anything because I didn't want to be accused of piling on by certain posters, but...

I just think it's a stupid thread because it's January.

Funny how you took two novels and three posts to explain that, and yet you've called it a stupid thread for other reasons too. So which is it, because it's January? Because we're obsessed? Because we're not allowed to diss your precious team? Or because of some other reason which you haven't explained yet?

Besides, your own board or at least your former board is meltdown central after this weekend. If we're arrogant for pooh-poohing your chances what does that make your own fans who have jumped off faster than rats on a sinking ship this weekend? How are we THAT arrogant when your own fans (and you at times too) are such skeptics?

Someone posting a photo of Lindros down on all fours was disgusting and a lowpoint for this place.

Oh please, as if Ranger$ fans are above crossing the line? How about the Ranger$ fans chanting "Get a Porsche" at Hextall after Pelle Lindbergh's accident? How about Ranger$ fans chanting Potvin sucks STILL?

If anything the Lindros thing proves this board can police itself and doesn't need your Moral Highness telling us what we can and can't post. Honestly that is one of your biggest problems. You act as if you have to be the moral conscience of the board and that really comes across as looking down on us, and it comes off ESPECIALLY bad because you're not even a Devils fan and you're telling us what we can and can't post on our board.

And it's funny how you sometimes whine and complain that we're unfair to you because you're a Ranger$ fan and yet we tolerate you more than the Cafe, where you're not allowed to post anymore! Your own board! Seems to me as if we're not being anywhere near as unreasonable as you think, and that we're not the reason for your problems with us.

And as for your comments about the "younger posters" stop trying to make it an age thing. I've seen illogical older posters and I've seen great younger posters. It's not about age. Fact is you have problems with pretty much ALL of us at times, problems that are usually caused when you take mere disagreements and turn them into personal affronts. And you frequently act as immature as the younger posters you (who you're not THAT much older than yourself) decry, at least when you're in your Hyde mode, or is it Jekyll?

Honestly you do come off as a real Jekyll/Hyde type. All peachy when everything's going well and borderline insane the first little disagreement/difference of opinion you have with someone. I, for one am tired of this bipolar act. Either stop taking every little slight or perceived slight as cause to start a war, or make your hiatus permanent, because as good of a poster as you can be, it won't do us or yourself any good to stick around if you're gonna be this bent out of shape by every little thing we post or say as much as you may deny you're bent out of shape by every little thing we post or say.

Hasan, your maturity level is sad.

You just couldn't resist, could you?

I know what your motivation was too.

You couldn't be more wrong about me.

Anything to make excuses for the acts of some childish posters.

And I'm not referring to the younger posters either, you psycho.

I'm talking about older people like yourself.

Younger posters seem more mature for some reason.

You are a sad person.

Let's congratulate Hasan on what he does best. Insulting another person who gave an objective opinion that he and his male testerone pigheaded buddies didn't like.

And on bullying me for the 100th time in a thread.

And to think, I only returned for one thread.

And for now turning it into a personal vendetta and getting another thread locked.

You are the biggest hypocrite this board's seen. Calling even some of your own fans fakes.

I will do you one better: The only person who's fake is you.

Take your self righteous crap off the board.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.