Langenbrunner to Dallas. 3rd round conditional pick coming back

DevsFan7545

Quality letter, but notice he omits any sort of mention of coaches he's had here in NJ. Maybe I'm just looking for something to talk about, but it was just something I noticed when I read through it.

And I think the point of the original brand name comment was to point out how ridiculous it is to associate such a thing to the downfall of a player, be it Brodeur or Langs. Unless I'm missing the point completely...

Elias has his own website and most would agree he's been our best player this year so...

I'm still hoping he signs before the draft, I would rather a 2012 2nd over 2011.

Then you want the Stars to lose in the playoffs and Dallas sign Langs after the 2011 draft. That's the only way to get the 2012 pick in this deal.

Edited by Devils731

I'm still hoping he signs before the draft, I would rather a 2012 2nd over 2011.

There's a lot of folks that are draft eligible. What makes 2012 any different from 2011 especially for a 2nd round pick? Is there a specific player that you see who will be eligible in 2012 that we have a solid chance of getting in the second round?

What was so difficult about this deal that Lou couldn't simply make it Langenbrunner for a 2nd round pick ('11 or '12)?

Do you really think Joe offered Lou a 2nd and lou said, no Joe we can make it a conditional draft pick depending how your team does this season.

You get what you can get.

There's a lot of folks that are draft eligible. What makes 2012 any different from 2011 especially for a 2nd round pick? Is there a specific player that you see who will be eligible in 2012 that we have a solid chance of getting in the second round?

I'm assuming the general sentiment is that next year's draft will be deeper than this year's. It's got to be far too early for any specific players to be discussed though, especially re: being available in the second round.

I'm relisting the list of number one picks:

2009 John Tavares - New York Islanders

2008 Steve Stamkos - Tampa Bay Lightning

2007 Patrick Kane - Chicago Blackhawks

2006 Erik Johnson - St. Louis Blues

2005 Sidney Crosby - Pittsburgh Penguins

2004 Alexander Ovechkin - Washington Capitals

2003 Marc-Andre Fleury - Pittsburgh Penguins

2002 Rick Nash - Columbus Blue Jackets

2001 Ilja Kovalchuk - Atlanta Thrashers

2000 Rick DiPietro - New York Islanders

1999 Patrick Stefan - Atlanta Thrashers

1998 Vincent Lecavalier - Tampa Bay Lightning

1997 Joe Thornton - Boston Bruins

1996 Chris Phillips - Ottawa Senators

1995 Bryan Berard - Ottawa Senators

1994 Ed Jovanovski - Forida Panthers

1993 Alexandre Daigle - Ottawa Senators

1992 Roman Hamrlik - Tampa Bay Lightning

1991 Eric Lindros - Quebec Nordiques

1990 Owen Nolan - Quebec Nordiques

1989 Mats Sundin - Quebec Nordiques

1988 Mike Modano - Minnesota North Stars

1987 Pierre Turgeon - Buffalo Sabres

1986 Joe Murphy - Detrot Red Wings

1985 Wendel Clark - Toronto Maple Leafs

1984 Mario Lemieux - Pittsburgh Penguins

1983 Brian Lawton - Minnesota North Stars

1982 Gord Kluzak - Boston Bruins

1981 Dale Hawerchuk - Winnipeg Jets

1980 Doug Wickenheiser - Montreal Canadiens

1979 Rob Ramage - Colorado Rockies

1978 Bobby Smith - Minnesota North Stars

1977 Dale McCourt - Detroit Red Wings

1976 Rick Green - Washington Capitals

1975 Mel Bridgman - Philadelphia Flyers

1974 Greg Joly - Washington Capitals

1973 Denis Potvin - New York Islanders

1972 Bill Harris - New York Islanders

1971 Guy Lafleur - Montreal Canadiens

1970 Gilbert Perreault - Buffalo Sabres

1969 Rejean Houle - Montreal Canadiens

1968 Michel Plasse - Montreal Canadiens

1967 Rick Pagnutti - Los Angeles Kings

1966 Barry Gibbs - Boston Bruins

1965 Andre Veilleux - New York Rangers

1964 Claude Gauthier - Detroit Red Wings

1963 Garry Monahan - Montreal Canadiens

I'm not so sure that all the drafts in the past 10 years were considered stellar draft years but the qulity of players that went first overrall is still pretty impressive. If we end up with 1st overall we still stand a good chance of getting a solid player for our team. I think that holds true even if we get 2nd or 3rd spot.

Like I wrote somewhere else I didn't hear anything about Hall or Seguin until around March of last year. Just because there is no buzz right now doesn't mean there won't be in a few months.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Pretty sure 2003 is widely considered to be one of the strongest draft classes ever...

Agreed. That's why I said not all the recent draft classes were considered stellar, but look at who has been drafted 1st overall in the past 10-13 years and you've got some really solid number 1 picks.

Except we'd have to give up a third to get the 2nd, so it's really only moving up a number of spots. I'd kinda rather just get one pick this year and be done with it since we don't have a 2nd or 3rd yet.

What was so difficult about this deal that Lou couldn't simply make it Langenbrunner for a 2nd round pick ('11 or '12)?

There's no evidence any team offered a 2nd straight up for Jamie. Even if a few had, he'd still have to waive his no-trade to go there.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm relisting the list of number one picks:2009 John Tavares - New York Islanders2008 Steve Stamkos - Tampa Bay Lightning2007 Patrick Kane - Chicago Blackhawks2006 Erik Johnson - St. Louis Blues2005 Sidney Crosby - Pittsburgh Penguins2004 Alexander Ovechkin - Washington Capitals2003 Marc-Andre Fleury - Pittsburgh Penguins2002 Rick Nash - Columbus Blue Jackets2001 Ilja Kovalchuk - Atlanta Thrashers2000 Rick DiPietro - New York Islanders1999 Patrick Stefan - Atlanta Thrashers1998 Vincent Lecavalier - Tampa Bay Lightning1997 Joe Thornton - Boston Bruins1996 Chris Phillips - Ottawa Senators1995 Bryan Berard - Ottawa Senators1994 Ed Jovanovski - Forida Panthers1993 Alexandre Daigle - Ottawa Senators1992 Roman Hamrlik - Tampa Bay Lightning1991 Eric Lindros - Quebec Nordiques1990 Owen Nolan - Quebec Nordiques1989 Mats Sundin - Quebec Nordiques1988 Mike Modano - Minnesota North Stars1987 Pierre Turgeon - Buffalo Sabres1986 Joe Murphy - Detrot Red Wings1985 Wendel Clark - Toronto Maple Leafs1984 Mario Lemieux - Pittsburgh Penguins1983 Brian Lawton - Minnesota North Stars1982 Gord Kluzak - Boston Bruins1981 Dale Hawerchuk - Winnipeg Jets1980 Doug Wickenheiser - Montreal Canadiens1979 Rob Ramage - Colorado Rockies1978 Bobby Smith - Minnesota North Stars1977 Dale McCourt - Detroit Red Wings1976 Rick Green - Washington Capitals1975 Mel Bridgman - Philadelphia Flyers1974 Greg Joly - Washington Capitals1973 Denis Potvin - New York Islanders1972 Bill Harris - New York Islanders1971 Guy Lafleur - Montreal Canadiens1970 Gilbert Perreault - Buffalo Sabres1969 Rejean Houle - Montreal Canadiens1968 Michel Plasse - Montreal Canadiens1967 Rick Pagnutti - Los Angeles Kings1966 Barry Gibbs - Boston Bruins1965 Andre Veilleux - New York Rangers1964 Claude Gauthier - Detroit Red Wings1963 Garry Monahan - Montreal CanadiensI'm not so sure that all the drafts in the past 10 years were considered stellar draft years but the qulity of players that went first overrall is still pretty impressive. If we end up with 1st overall we still stand a good chance of getting a solid player for our team. I think that holds true even if we get 2nd or 3rd spot.Like I wrote somewhere else I didn't hear anything about Hall or Seguin until around March of last year. Just because there is no buzz right now doesn't mean there won't be in a few months.

Most of these picks were Forwards...little Defenders compared to the amount of forwards drafted 1st :noclue:

I agree but watching Larsson play in the World Juniors kind of makes me want to draft him over Couturier,Nugent-Hopkins or Landeskog

I hear you. I was just replying to your noting of a lack of D prospects going first. We can still draft Larsson but keep in mind he probably won't see any action in the NHL for at least a couple of seasons. I think that's one of the reasons why you don't see any 1st overall DMen or very few goalies going first. Defense and goaltending takes longer to groom and most teams want to see some relatively immediate marked improvement after a first overall pick in the previous year's draft.

You gotta look at it with the idea that you won't be getting a 1st overall pick for another long while.

Defenseman and goalies are 50/50 I think a lot of teams go in with the idea that a forward at 1st pick is a safer bet.

Edited by CarpathianForest

I hear you. I was just replying to your noting of a lack of D prospects going first. We can still draft Larsson but keep in mind he probably won't see any action in the NHL for at least a couple of seasons. I think that's one of the reasons why you don't see any 1st overall DMen or very few goalies going first. Defense and goaltending takes longer to groom and most teams want to see some relatively immediate marked improvement after a first overall pick in the previous year's draft.You gotta look at it with the idea that you won't be getting a 1st overall pick for another long while.Defenseman and goalies are 50/50 I think a lot of teams go in with the idea that a forward at 1st pick is a safer bet.

Yea your right and I think that if the best thing to do is to draft a forward with our 1st pick then lets do it but who do we take ???

Sean couturier,Adam Ladeskog,Nugent Hopkins or Strome who seems to be a good one for all the given reasons in the draft thread.

I would completely skip on Saad since he is LW and we got plenty of this in the organization and we seem to be struggling much more at the RW.

The main (top) RW are: Landeskog and Armia

Yea your right and I think that if the best thing to do is to draft a forward with our 1st pick then lets do it but who do we take ???

Sean couturier,Adam Ladeskog,Nugent Hopkins or Strome who seems to be a good one for all the given reasons in the draft thread.

I would completely skip on Saad since he is LW and we got plenty of this in the organization and we seem to be struggling much more at the RW.

The main (top) RW are: Landeskog and Armia

Depends on who is the prospects are in the pipeline. Can Josefson and Henrque meet our Centerman needs? Are any of these guys in the draft good playmakers? We really need a playmaking Center for Kovalchuk.