Marty says Devils were "pretty close" to signing Parise... and

Daniel

I'm an angry Devils fan at the moment. I'm angry that we are going to miss the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years. I'm angry about all the nonsense since game 6 of the finals ended and how that game went. From Parise walking to Kovy quitting from the new ownership nightmare to the bullsh!t with the goal song, to the bullsh!t with Marty being traded and to the Devils and their bullsh!t ticket policy.

fvck all of this nonsense and fvck parise. I will boo all night long.

I'm an angry Devils fan at the moment. I'm angry that we are going to miss the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years. I'm angry about all the nonsense since game 6 of the finals ended and how that game went. From Parise walking to Kovy quitting from the new ownership nightmare to the bullsh!t with the goal song, to the bullsh!t with Marty being traded and to the Devils and their bullsh!t ticket policy.

fvck all of this nonsense and fvck parise. I will boo all night long.

This pretty much sums up how I feek as well.

Parise I do not place anywhere near as low as Gomez on the totem pole. That said, boo away and don't let anything stop you as the fires of PruCenter rain down on Minnesota's native son.

Noo way of course not.

All things considered, Zach didn't fvck the Devils that badly. If he went to the Rangers or Flyers I'd probably be out for blood.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I wouldn't boo him out of the garden state. He still texted suter during the playoff run, he still disappeared against LA.. screw him.

In summary: BOOOOOOOO YOU SON OF A BITCH BOOOOOO

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Noo way of course not.

All things considered, Zach didn't fvck the Devils that badly. If he went to the Rangers or Flyers I'd probably be out for blood.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I wouldn't boo him out of the garden state. He still texted suter during the playoff run, he still disappeared against LA.. screw him.

In summary: BOOOOOOOO YOU SON OF A BITCH BOOOOOO

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just a bunch of BS that continues to be said over and over again with 0% percent proof that it happened.

Maybe Brian Rafalski and Brian Gionta wanted to be lifelong Devils and Lou didn't offer them contracts. In that case, they were let down by the franchise? Did we feel for them or think they were wronged? 

Not for nothing but there's a reason Gionta and Rafalski always get warm welcomes back (same with Madden too) contrary to your belief, fans don't 'always' throw the player out like garbage after they leave.  Although in all their cases they won Cups here so that helps but still.

I don't know why you insist on fighting a losing fight ESPECIALLY when fans are already hot on the team and Parise's a convenient target to vent on.

More from that article:

Reading that makes me just as disappointed in Lou (pissed actually) as in Zach.

As much as SD gets flamed on the boards here on this subject, I pretty much agree with his view that Lou never should've let Zach go to free agency.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not I'd boo Zach on his first return to the Rock. The last week or so, I've concluded that if I were going to the game (I'm probably not), I'd boo him vociferously upon his introduction and his first few touches of the puck. It would be cathartic to let it out. After that, I think the anger/disappointment/sadness would subside and I'd be able to move on.

Well thanks really

Even if it was a 50/50 split from the crowd of people wanting to wish Parise well and others angry as fvck, the negative reactions will always win out. Even if it was 80/20. Are pro-Parise fans going to cheer him on every time he touches the puck? Of course not. The fans that are angry will be booing all night.

I've been saying my piece on Parise since July 1st 2012. I thought his decision was fine. He didn't quit on anything. He didn't demand a trade. Do we as fans ever care about the players that wanted to stay, but weren't offered contracts. Maybe Brian Rafalski and Brian Gionta wanted to be lifelong Devils and Lou didn't offer them contracts. In that case, they were let down by the franchise? Did we feel for them or think they were wronged? Do we care when a player takes a hometown discount to stay in NJ and then gets traded or bought out? Most fans get angry when players turn refuse to waive their NTC when they are asked to be traded.

In the end, the player is hurt just as often as the fan is, but the fan always sides with the team. If Parise ended up taking $25 million less to stay with NJ (realistic if he passed on Philly's gigantic offer), and then produced at a similar rate, the team struggled and Lou was able to get someone to take his him in a trade, Parise would probably feel betrayed after choosing the Devils and your average fan would probably celebrate the transaction, and give two sh!ts about the human side of things.

With Zach, a lot of people will find reasons for hating Zach's decision. But it didn't matter what he did or didn't do leading up to the decision. People loved Zach. They loved the 2012 run. They thought he was a prototypical Devil and could spend his entire career here. He let them down by leaving. That's all. I don't think anyone was more devastated than Lou. Is that worth venomous hate? Apparently, so.

I tend to like the way Lou does business, but I also side with the player sometimes. I agreed with Gio being allowed to leave, but I always cheer him and Rafa. Madden is one of 2 jerseys I wear. It took me awhile to forgive the Yankees when they let Pettitte go as well, and if it came down to him pitching against them, I honestly don't know for whom I would have cheered. I'm more of a d!ck then you toward guys, less forgiving, but to me being a fan IS personal, and while I often root for laundry, I try to make educated judgments about the guys wearing that laundry.

Edited by mouse

Just a bunch of BS that continues to be said over and over again with 0% percent proof that it happened.

Uhhhh not quite true. Call it what you want but they were in touch about playing together throughout the season and that's all that DF118 was saying.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/anti-lebron-zach-parise-ryan-suter-choose-minnesota-214912061--nhl.html

Parise and Suter, both 27, corresponded throughout the season about their impending free agency. Parise, captain of the New Jersey Devils, would be the most coveted forward on the open market. Suter, the ice-time leader for the Nashville Predators, would be his defensive equivalent. The U.S. Olympic teammates were friends off the ice, and had mutual admiration of their hockey prowess.

"We were in contact, texting each other back and forth, asking about different places and different situations where we can both work," said Suter.

"Ryan and I had talked throughout the year. At the time, you always say to each other, 'Wouldn't it be great to play with each other? To play on the same team?' Was it realistic? You have to have the availability," said Parise. "I know how great of a player Ryan is. To play with a guy of that caliber is a great opportunity."

Uhhhh not quite true. Call it what you want but they were in touch about playing together throughout the season and that's all that DF118 was saying.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/anti-lebron-zach-parise-ryan-suter-choose-minnesota-214912061--nhl.html

No. DF118 said "He still texted suter during the playoff run". That's the part DR33 is saying there is no proof of specifically and he's right. There isn't any. 

No. DF118 said "He still texted suter during the playoff run". That's the part DR33 is saying there is no proof of specifically and he's right. There isn't any. 

This is where you need to learn to stop talking about what you don't know about. DF118 was actually here on this board during the ZP ordeal and he probably remembers it being brought up. I myself made the damn post back then but I'll reiterate it:

At about 6:30 of the video below, Parise talks about how he and Suter were in touch about it throughout the year:

"We talked a little bit about it during the season and then once......(stumbling).....I mean, we were going to the Cup Final and so that's not something you want to talk about at that time..."

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=183693

I really don't understand why you would talk with such confidence when clearly you don't know what you're talking about? 

Edited by Neb00rs

This is where you need to learn to stop talking about what you don't know about. DF118 was actually here on this board during the ZP ordeal and he probably remembers it being brought up. I myself made the damn post back then but I'll reiterate it:

At about 6:30 of the video below, Parise talks about how he and Suter were in touch about it throughout the year:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=183693

I really don't understand why you would talk with such confidence when clearly you don't know what you're talking about? 

That quote you provided?  You're trying to read between the lines, pick it apart and trying to assume something because the worst thing he did was open himself up to interpretation by not choosing his words carefully or not going into more detail. People like you with too much time on their hands pick it apart and then try to finish his thoughts with your own assumptions.

How do you know Suter didn't contact Parise during the Playoffs and Parise just told him "no, sorry, not the time".  What's wrong with that? Ever think of that scenario as a reasonable thought?  See, i can assume too. I don't like Parise, but i'm going to defend him here because this looks like another case of typical Devils fan group-think lately.

Show me where there was a actual confirmed conversation that went on where Parise talked about what you're accusing him of. Show me something that should clearly show that these two engaged in conversations about their futures during a playoff run.

You need to knock it off with the high horse shtick. You really do. I knew you were going to reply with something like this. You're an incredibly pompous poster with a haughty streak.

Edited by TheRedStorm

That quote you provided?  You're trying to read between the lines, pick it apart and trying to ASSume something because the worst thing he did was open himself up to interpretation by not choosing his words carefully. People like you with too much time on their hands pick it apart and then try to finish his thoughts with your own ASSumptions.

You need to knock it off with the high horse shtick. You really do. I knew you were going to reply with something like this. You're an incredibly pompous poster with a haughty streak.

You need to let go of your "All the posters on here who criticize me are pompous" complex. Why do you complain so much about this? I merely stated a fact that you WERE NOT here during the Parise ordeal and DF118 was, and that's where he's coming from. You weren't here discussing it, and clearly don't have the information. Your post didn't add anything. You just responded to me by mimicking what DR33 said and as if it were fact.  DR33 can post something like he did without blinking because he has credibility established on this board with all of us - a lot more than me - which he built up over the course of 12 years of posting. If he says, that there is 0 evidence then we generally assume he's done the research because we know his history. You don't have the credibility and it's not good form to lead with an attitude, I should know, I had that problem once... hell, I still have a little snark in my posting style.

There is nothing to 'pick apart' from that quote. There is nothing to assume. It is very straightforward, they were in contact up until the Stanley Cup Final at least in some regard, and possibly during that time too but to a lesser extent.

You are wrong, you spoke about what you don't know and being called out for it has made you upset and so now you are going about YOUR 'pompous' business where anyone who doesn't like Red Storm's attitude, obviously is on their 'high horse.' 

In response to the edit you made: I don't have to show you that. No one is claiming to have that evidence. The evidence provided is enough to substantiate the simple point that was made. You claimed that no evidence existed and it does. This is a desperate attempt. It's now on you to show me something where Parise contradicts my quote. That's how board discussion is done. 

Edited by Neb00rs

You need to let go of your "All the posters on here who criticize me are pompous" complex. Why do you complain so much about this? I merely stated a fact that you WERE NOT here during the Parise ordeal and DF118 was, and that's where he's coming from. You weren't here discussing it, and clearly don't have the information. Your post didn't add anything. You just responded to me by mimicking what DR33 said and as if it were fact.  DR33 can post something like he did without blinking because he has credibility established on this board with all of us - a lot more than me - which he built up over the course of 12 years of posting. If he says, that there is 0 evidence then we generally assume he's done the research because we know his history. You don't have the credibility and it's not good form to lead with an attitude, I should know, I had that problem once... hell, I still have a little snark in my posting style.

There is nothing to 'pick apart' from that quote. There is nothing to assume. It is very straightforward, they were in contact up until the Stanley Cup Final at least in some regard, and possibly during that time too but to a lesser extent.

You are wrong, you spoke about what you don't know and being called out for it has made you upset and so now you are going about YOUR 'pompous' business where anyone who doesn't like Red Storm's attitude, obviously is on their 'high horse.' 

In response to the edit you made: I don't have to show you that. No one is claiming to have that evidence. The evidence provided is enough to substantiate the simple point that was made. You claimed that no evidence existed and it does. This is a desperate attempt. It's now on you to show me something where Parise contradicts my quote. That's how board discussion is done. 

Once again, the lecturing and the whining about this "caste" system you have developed in your head and using it as a platform to preach from to dismiss others, put them down or discredit them.

How board discussions are done, huh?  So when i ask for you to provide FACTS, not assumptions, regarding Zach Parise you say "i don't have to show you that" and ask for ME to contradict you instead. LOL....

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1

To bad all this Devils hate will be wasted on Parise while should be directed at Lou Lams.

DD56, Marty brought it onto himself, all by himself.

If it were Elias, Carter, Zubrus, the guy who sharpens the skates, etc, they'd be praised for their honesty and for giving us a look at the behind the scenes of the situation. 

If it were Elias, Carter, Zubrus, the guy who sharpens the skates, etc, they'd be praised for their honesty and for giving us a look at the behind the scenes of the situation. 

Were many people other than LD giving it to Brodeur for THESE comments?

As for when he discussed playing together, I stand by my point that he never actually said he discussed it during the playoffs, but in reality, I really couldn't care less if there was or if there was not. 

Do you think during that his mind was on anything but the playoffs? I guess anyone can think what they want, but here's a hypothetical. Maybe after a great game in the Conference Finals, Suter  jokingly texts him; "Great game Zach and sweet goal, going to enjoy seeing that every day next season," and in reply, "we could have used you back there tonight." 

Really im not that mad to Zach, i'm pretty sure anyone here in his shoes would have done the same thing. Lou paved the way for Zach to consider more options.

1- He SAID publicly before his RFA contract talks in an interview with TG that he couldn't talk for anyone else but that if you're a UFA, why sign after the season when you could wait a few months and see what's out there.

2- Reports we're flying about Minny (his hometown) setting things up to be able to make a crazy offer.

3- The financial issues we're indeed a worry to Zach.

4- Wanted to play with his buddy Ryan.

5- blurry future for the franchise, Brodeur leaving then what? Lou retiring soon, Elias gone soon, financial trouble, etc etc

I mean... when you have all those things going against you, you put a little extra effort to try to lure the player back, you don't wait a week before free agency to START talking like it was reported.

I'm 90% convinced Zach wanted to stay in NJ and stay a Devil starting the season and that the 1 year deal was simply a bridge thing because of the financial issues or something. But the more Lou waited and waited it let Zach time to get pulled in many directions from his dad, ryan and all that sh!t and was seriously considering leaving or seeing other options. If you can't sign anything you can still talk and figure out numbers that will get it done and at worst some kind of agreement that once the restructure of the debt and management switch was done then you get it done or something (i know it's obviously not that easy but it's an example) you still get the ball rolling.

What we'll ever know 100% what happened behind the scene but I don't buy the offer thing that he turned down cause his agent said he'd get more on the market. How many fvcking top players sign with their team during the season? 98% of those players would have got more on the market obviously, same thing. Do they go and test the market? no. The GM doesn't let it happen, it's their job not to lose those kind of players.

I know there was financial troubles but the financial situation was the SAME a week before free agency when Lou finally made an offer to Zach. Im not an expert but if he was able to put a "competitive" offer on that day, he could of a month or 2 before that too. The restructuring of the debt and all was still not approved and settle then.

edit: just saying that put in his situation at the moment he really had to make a decision i would have probably jet too. 

Edited by SterioDesign

Really im not that mad to Zach, i'm pretty sure anyone here in his shoes would have done the same thing. Lou paved the way for Zach to consider more options.

Normally I say fvck Parise, fvck him and forget about him.  I've been trying to do this, but I recently read an NHL.com (Dan Rosen  :glare: ) and while I disagree with him leaving, it's really really hard to hate the guy because of his attitude through the whole situation, the dude is really just a class act.  I hate him for leaving, but definitely respect the hell out of him. 

Here's the article.  Not a bad read http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=710326&navid=nhl:topheads

I did post it in another thread, but realized it pretty relevant to the discussion here. 

EDIT: Just to add, I would probably go against the grain for sh!ts and gigs and cheer Parise if I were at the game.  Just for the memories he gave me as a fan and how much I look up to the guy as a hockey player.

Edited by RizzMB30

@tgfireandice Brodeur on Parise: "We had two years to talk to him and figure out something and we waited and waited and it was too late.”

Marty is practising for his future as a GM. I bet he's looking at what Roy is doing with the Avs, but he figures he can skip that bit of coaching in junior because after all Marty has so many wins. What can he possibly learn?

Normally I say fvck Parise, fvck him and forget about him.  I've been trying to do this, but I recently read an NHL.com (Dan Rosen  :glare: ) and while I disagree with him leaving, it's really really hard to hate the guy because of his attitude through the whole situation, the dude is really just a class act.  I hate him for leaving, but definitely respect the hell out of him. 

Here's the article.  Not a bad read http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=710326&navid=nhl:topheads

I did post it in another thread, but realized it pretty relevant to the discussion here. 

EDIT: Just to add, I would probably go against the grain for sh!ts and gigs and cheer Parise if I were at the game.  Just for the memories he gave me as a fan and how much I look up to the guy as a hockey player.

I guess my point of view could be comparable to a a girl simply seeing/dating that guy and he's just saying he'd like them to be together in the future but won't talk about it or make it official and they just go on and on without making it official and the future is uncertain. She keeps on asking him about it but he says he doesnt want to talk about it. And he's broke and says it will get better eventually but he can't buy he ra ring or anything so he just keeps on not talking about it. She's in love now so she's ready to see beyond all the crap like he's broke and all lol

Then she starts hearing that this other rich guy which was her highschool crush is talking about her all the time and would like to date her and would buy her a car and make kids and all. And all her friends keeps on telling her that she deserve more and that she'd be happier with someone else bla bla bla.

Not really easy to compare that and somewhat bring a "free agency" metaphore in it but you kind of see where this is going haha But yeah she leaves him for her highschool crush and she's happy and all. But can you really blame her? Well i feel the same about Zach now, im super pissed he's gone but i don't blame him.

Edited by SterioDesign