2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

Matt Simms is still an unknown though. We have blind faith because well...that's all we have. The only thing we know about him is he has a cannon arm. Maybe a better QB pedigree growing up in a household where he was doing this since birth. Still didn't help someone like Todd Marinovich

The Jets still have no answers for Hartline/Wallace and no way to block the Dolphins D-Line. This game will be ugly, probably of the 19-9 variety or something

The answer to Hartline/Wallace is the answer every team has against the Dolphins. Let Tannehill beat himself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Any Jet CB trying to cover any semi-competent NFL receiver is a scary proposition.  Cromartie has to be hurt, he couldn't have gone from one of the best corners in the league last year to completely below average overnight.  And Dee Milliner, forget it.  He couldn't cover Rex running patterns.

I'm just thinking there is no possible way they play any worse than today.

Plus they'll be at home where they do tend to play much better. I hope Simms ball can cut through the wind a bit better. if Kerley can come back and give us an underneath option...that would really help.

..if for nothing else, they'll sit Smith next week, because they won't want the Jets mob to boo him off the field.

4-7 at this point four years ago bro, and it happened! We're not dead yet!

The Jets are still tied for the final wildcard @ 5-6, and are still in this thing. Granted SD won a close game to KC today, but with a Chiefs rematch still left on the schedule, aswell as Denver & Cincinnati, they won't get to 9 wins. Same goes for the Titans. They have the Broncos and a pissed off Indianapolis team to go through over the next 2 weeks, and three out of their next four games on the road. Baltimore has New England, Cincinnati & Detroit. You can go on and on. Throughout all the AFC teams in the hunt, it's TOUGH to see anyone getting 4 more wins of their final 5 games. The Jets are different. They have the teams on the table. They have the wins right there, they just have to take them. There's no longer room for error.. and it starts with these next 2 games. Let Carolina beat us.. that's fine. But we need to take 4 wins from the teams that we should. Cleveland has the 30th ranked o-line in the NFL.. Oakland @ 31st.. Miami @ 32nd. The defense will continue to be there for the Jets. They'll continue to pressure and sack the QB, they just need help from the offense. Geno's got 1 TD pass & 10 interceptions over the last six games. How much worse can Simms do??

Next week is the season bro. Keep the faith. #Believe!

Indy's been shot since Reggie Wayne got hurt.  If there was any real threat in their division they'd actually blow it but the Titans with Ryan Fitzpatrick aren't scaring anyone.  

And you're forgetting the team I think is probably gonna wind up grabbing the playoff spot when it's all said and done - PITTSBURGH.  They've come out of nowhere to win five of seven and are playing very well.  They have a tough schedule too granted, but at this point it might only take 8-8 to make the playoffs anyway and they have eminently winnable games at home against Miami and the Browns.  True, they also have to play the Bengals at home and the Ravens/Packers on the road...the Raven game is going to be a lot bigger for both teams than it looked two weeks ago.  But if they win both of those division games nobody's beating them out.  If they win one of the two they have a shot.  I'm assuming they lose to the Packers because Rodgers'll be back by then.

Edited by NJDevs4978

..if for nothing else, they'll sit Smith next week, because they won't want the Jets mob to boo him off the field.

4-7 at this point four years ago bro, and it happened! We're not dead yet!

The Jets are still tied for the final wildcard @ 5-6, and are still in this thing. Granted SD won a close game to KC today, but with a Chiefs rematch still left on the schedule, aswell as Denver & Cincinnati, they won't get to 9 wins. Same goes for the Titans. They have the Broncos and a pissed off Indianapolis team to go through over the next 2 weeks, and three out of their next four games on the road. Baltimore has New England, Cincinnati & Detroit. You can go on and on. Throughout all the AFC teams in the hunt, it's TOUGH to see anyone getting 4 more wins of their final 5 games. The Jets are different. They have the teams on the table. They have the wins right there, they just have to take them. There's no longer room for error.. and it starts with these next 2 games. Let Carolina beat us.. that's fine. But we need to take 4 wins from the teams that we should. Cleveland has the 30th ranked o-line in the NFL.. Oakland @ 31st.. Miami @ 32nd. The defense will continue to be there for the Jets. They'll continue to pressure and sack the QB, they just need help from the offense. Geno's got 1 TD pass & 10 interceptions over the last six games. How much worse can Simms do??

Next week is the season bro. Keep the faith. #Believe!

I know you're always as optimistic as possible (which is not a bad way to be), but 5-6 teams are not created equal.  Jets did a hell of a job to get to 5-4 in their first nine, and did a hell of a job beating NO and NE, but now the Jets are just screwed from a tiebreaker standpoint...3 teams in the #6 seed mix now hold a head-to-head tie-breaker edge over the Jets (Ravens, Titans, and Steelers).  Jets conference record is awful (2-6).  There's a reason why they're 5th out of 6th 5-6 teams...if they had gone 0-3 in out-of-conference games and not 3-0, I could understand you being optimistic.  But unfortunately, as the 2008 Patriots (11-5) found out, there's such a thing as winning the wrong games on the schedule (Pats went 4-0 against the NFC that year, and lost on tiebreakers to Miami and Baltimore based on conference record).   

Your team is now -101 in point differential, and the QB play has pretty much been the worst in the league for weeks now...too much for the Jets defense to overcome (who have to be getting tired).  Who exactly are "should beat" teams for the Jets at this point?   

If the Jets go 4-1, or even 3-2, then the Jets should sign Rex to an extension the very second the regular season comes to an end (I think he's already earned it anyway...he'll get criticized if he sticks with Smith, but if he chooses Simms, then he probably has to stick with him for the rest of the season...which I'm sure is not what the organization wants...Rex is in a very tough spot here).  Even with all of the optimistic, best-case scenarios in the world, it's just really hard to make a case for a team that averages 16.9 PPG (15.1 PPG in their last 6) and looks like it may be changing QBs to boot, and I've been very complimentary towards the Jets overall...I think Rex has really done a terrific job getting as much as he has out of this team, from a strict wins and losses standpoint.  Yeah, anything can happen...and the Jets have a schedule that's forgiving as any, especially in their remaining conference games...but 4-1 seems like a very hard sell.         

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I know you're always as optimistic as possible (which is not a bad way to be), but 5-6 teams are not created equal. Jets did a hell of a job to get to 5-4 in their first nine, and did a hell of a job beating NO and NE, but now the Jets are just screwed from a tiebreaker standpoint...3 teams in the #6 seed mix now hold a head-to-head tie-breaker edge over the Jets (Ravens, Titans, and Steelers). Jets conference record is awful (2-6). There's a reason why they're 5th out of 6th 5-6 teams...if they had gone 0-3 in out-of-conference games and not 3-0, I could understand you being optimistic. But unfortunately, as the 2008 Patriots (11-5) found out, there's such a thing as winning the wrong games on the schedule (Pats went 4-0 against the NFC that year, and lost on tiebreakers to Miami and Baltimore based on conference record).

Your team is now -101 in point differential, and the QB play has pretty much been the worst in the league for weeks now...too much for the Jets defense to overcome (who have to be getting tired). Who exactly are "should beat" teams for the Jets at this point?

If the Jets go 4-1, or even 3-2, then the Jets should sign Rex to an extension the very second the regular season comes to an end (I think he's already earned it anyway...he'll get criticized if he sticks with Smith, but if he chooses Simms, then he probably has to stick with him for the rest of the season...which I'm sure is not what the organization wants...Rex is in a very tough spot here). Even with all of the optimistic, best-case scenarios in the world, it's just really hard to make a case for a team that averages 16.9 PPG (15.1 PPG in their last 6) and looks like it may be changing QBs to boot, and I've been very complimentary towards the Jets overall...I think Rex has really done a terrific job getting as much as he has out of this team, from a strict wins and losses standpoint. Yeah, anything can happen...and the Jets have a schedule that's forgiving as any, especially in their remaining conference games...but 4-1 seems like a very hard sell.

..right now the Jets are, in a lot of ways, the victims of their own early success. If they were 5-6 @ this point, having crawled up from 3-6, people would be praising their fortitude. But as you said winning 5 games as early as they did raised expectations.

Starting Simms will help. Smith's lost out there, and his confidence is shot. He must be looking really bad in the practices between games, because there's a HUGE problem when the OC & HC are afraid to let the quarterback throw the ball. This is the perfect opportunity to go in another direction @ QB, because the next 2 games are at home.. and the guy going in has no gametape for the opposing teams to study. Will Geno eventually be a quality quarterback? -not sure. He may need an entire season to just watch and learn. But if Rex continues to play him, I actually think he'll be making it worse\harder on him.

Looking at the other 5-6 teams makes my head hurt.. and truth-be-told, I have no idea who to root for on Thanksgiving. Will it take a miracle in absolutely everything breaking the right way for the Jets to get in? -yes. But I still think this team isn't that far off the track in where their trajectory was back in Week 9. They were supposed to beat the Bills, they weren't supposed to be a desperate Baltimore team on the road. The good news is that the teams they're about to play, are more headcase than the Jets.. and 3 of the next 4 are home.

I actually think it's pretty simple (simple, though not easy)...just win the remainder of your conference games (if they lose the Carolina game, like you said, so be it).  Doing that would give the Jets a 9-7 overall record, a 6-6 conference record (not so good) and a 4-2 division record (the two games against Miami are key...Jets have to put themselves to break a tie with one of these "in the mix for six" teams).  There's so many other teams at 5-6, I don't think the Jets should really worry about them. 

Jets are probably fvcked if they're 8-8 (hard to think one of the teams they don't hold a tiebreaker against won't make it to 8-8), but if they can get to 9-7 (preferably by winning all over their remaining conference games), that probably gets them in. 

As far as Geno goes, he's shown at least some flashes (some guys never even do that).  If I'm Rex, I probably bench him, but I'm guessing they can't be that impressed with Simms if they haven't gone to him already...and like I said, I get the feeling the decision may not be 100% his to make.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

One of the main problems vis-a-vis the other 5-6 teams in the playoff hunt is so many teams have the tiebreaker on us (Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Tennessee).  9-7 won't even be enough if any one of them go 9-7 and it's hard to conceive of this team winning four out of five as it is with the QB play and the secondary the way it is.

Great news from the Phins standpoint. If we win, great. If we lose to Geno, it'll at least give us a sense of where we stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. But let's be real- losing to either Geno or a very green (no pun intended :P) Matt Simms would be pretty embarrassing. I fully expect the offense to struggle against the Jets defense with that strong front 7, but there's no excuse for our defense to not shut down whoever the Jet QB is.

True. But let's be real- losing to either Geno or a very green (no pun intended :P) Matt Simms would be pretty embarrassing. I fully expect the offense to struggle against the Jets defense with that strong front 7, but there's no excuse for our defense to not shut down whoever the Jet QB is.

Simms is an unknown entity, so if he plays well, people would chalk it up to him being better than advertised. Geno has been awful, and against teams that aren't that great. If he beats you the way he's been playing now, and considering the Phins have to win this game, you know that you're a bad team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rex announces Geno gives the Jets the best chance to win.  Based on what I heard of the conference, really doesn't seem like it was his decision.  I feel for him...guy really has done a good job despite upper management doing next to nothing to help him or back him, and whatever pseudo-"probation" Idzik has Rex on, I think Rex has at least earned the right to pick Simms to start if that's what he truly wants.  Feels like he's getting screwed here.

I mean seriously, how do you not love this guy??

"I'm not going anywhere, that's for sure. It's been a dream come true to play here, and I don't want to go anywhere else. I know I have two years left, but I don't ever want that to end. I love being a Jet, and I plan on being here. All the memories, the wins. Even the tough times, the struggles, the losses. It makes you appreciate how much you love being out on the field and how much you love playing. I really want it to be with the Jets. I hope so. That's all I'm thinking about. Coming back next year, leading this team, and playing well. We'll see what happens." --Mark Sanchez

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/11/26/mark-sanchez-cornrows-2014-geno-smith/3755929/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24286575/mark-sanchez-im-not-going-anywhere-plan-on-being-with-jets

..he's either completely full of sh!t, and paving his way to the next team by saying all the right things.. or Sanchez is head-over-heels in love with Rex, and the two have something very special for eachother. If he is REALLY being serious about loving it here, he'd have to take a salary cut.. and if that happens, you've gotta respect the hell out of this guy. All the mistreatment from upper-management, all the flack from the fans. Everything he's gone through.

Again, we'll see how sincere he's being come March, but if it's genuine.. Sanchez is like the guy who won't leave his girlfriend, even though he gets treated like sh!t, and she continues to cheat on him. :P

Edited by Beezer34

He's saying all of the right things, for whatever that's worth.  Some of what he's gone through is self-inflicted...not like he's a blameless victim.

But if Geno continues to struggle this badly (his numbers in his last 6 GP are almost Ryan Leaf-like), hell, Sanchez might get a second chance by default.  It'd be interesting to see what he might do with it.  

Beez, you have a better chance of being the Jets' starting QB next year than Sanchez.

Honestly, at this stage, I'm not entirely sure.  If Geno doesn't show improvement by the end of the year, you can't say he's automatically the starter next year.  The Jets probably won't be bad enough to be in a position to draft one of the big three QBs (Manziel, Bridgewater or Mariotta).  After that, who's left?  Maybe they make a run at Cutler, but otherwise, it's really slim pickings. 

Beez, you have a better chance of being the Jets' starting QB next year than Sanchez.

I thought it sounded crazy when I first read it too...and it's a longshot for sure...and the only reason it's even really a possibility at all is because Geno has been SO dreadful lately.  If he has another lousy week, how can be possibly not get benched after that game (or during)?

I thought it sounded crazy when I first read it too...and it's a longshot for sure...and the only reason it's even really a possibility at all is because Geno has been SO dreadful lately. If he has another lousy week, how can be possibly not get benched after that game (or during)?

Even so, I think they ride or die with Geno before they ever go back to Sanchez after everything that's happened. Geno is Idzik's guy, so I think they'd be more inclined to let him develop if they're not in a position to draft one of the top QB's.

I think Sanchez is in denial.    Regardless of how bad Gino is, they Jets will look to get a veteran who will actually be healthy enough to make a contribution on or off the field.   Sanchez's contract is going to force Idzik's hand to cut him before any bonus payments.

You know if Rex is canned at the end of the year...I can kind of see Shanahan here (provided is son is just an offensive assistant or something)

otherwise, what else is out there? Lovie Smith?

The lack of a viable alternative just might keep him here. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that there is no Andy Reid or Parcells or Jimmy Johnson out there. No big coaches

Edited by '7'