Brodeur out day to day with “non-operable sprain” of right knee, w

Quinn01

I hope they don't think Jeff Lerg is still a prospect. He's a flopper and goes down at the hint of a shot and he's 5'4". They say he's 5'6" but....when your goalie can hang off the crossbar and swing his legs...he's too short. Albany folks would have to chime in on Frazee cause we didn't see him much in Trenton.

Time to tank the season. I felt this way a month ago and strongly feel it now. Bring up the youngsters, give them full icetime. Sell off what you can. The draft has a great scorer and a great dman at the top. We should ensure that this franchise gets 1 of them and starts to restock the farm system with more depth.

From everything I've been able to read online from draft guys and some of the more knowledgeable prospect posters on this forum, this is no sure-fire great scorer or great defenseman. There are a lot of quality guys but no generational talent. I just want the team to play hard and what happens, happens. It's been said that it is possible for a team picking 6, 7, 8, etc. to end up with the best player.

Eh Marty's had a lot of nagging injuries, you have to expect that at 38. He's not leaving $5.2 million on the table (and giving up one more chance to play with Kovy, Parise, Elias, Zajac, etc) unless he suffers a severe injury though. Plus I think it means a lot to him to finish out the contract just out of a sense of duty.

Clearly though the Devils need to address the goalie position one way or the other this offseason cause the days of Marty playing 70+ are almost certainly over.

Am I wrong in thinking the Devils have been talking about Frazee as the goalie of the future? I figure Marty at least for next year and then maybe another extension for 1-3 years (I figure Roy and Hasek were able to do it). I have to admit I always felt sort of scared that Marty wouldn't be willing to admit when he was past his best days as that's hard on any athlete. The converse of this is that Lemaire seems excellent at having the devils protect his goalies and I have noticed a huge increase in blocked shots and the defense staying at home.

The MRI taken Monday revealed that goaltender Martin Brodeur has a “non-operable knee sprain” Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said Brodeur is out “day-to-day” while he rehabs his right knee.

Lamoriello said there is “no timetable” for Brodeur’s return to the lineup and would not answer when I asked if it was possible Brodeur will play this week, but it appears likely he will miss at least three games.

Brodeur will definitely sit out tonight’s game against Carolina. The Devils then visit Toronto on Thursday before hosting San Jose on Friday. After that, they have four days off before hosting the Hurricanes again next Wednesday.

“It’s a day-to-day rehab situation,” Lamoriello said. “When it his rehab gets to the point where his knee is better, it will be up to Marty and the doctor to decide (when he’ll play).”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeur_day_to_day_with_what_lamoriello_calls_non_operable_injury_to_right_/

Ha ha - thanks for the great responses: go away, etc. I appreciate the willingness to engage in meaningful discourse.

Its not about Marty maybe missing 2-3 games its about the long term future of the franchise. This team is hamstrung by some bad contracts, aging talent and an abyssmal start to this season. Not one of you can argue against those three points. One could also argue that the farm system is not the strongest regarding the level of organizational talent when compared to other teams. The Devils have been one of the most successful franchises over the last 17-18 years- a model of consistency and achievement. I applaud that and have enjoyed every minute of it.

Take a step back from your anger or whatever emotion you have that dismisses the concept altogether and consider the following: As a result of the 3 maybe 4 points I made above regarding the Devil's current problems, the team is very close to the bottom of the league. Whether or not the draft contains a Crosby like talent, better picks increases your chance at better talent not only at the top end of the draft but throughout the remainder of the rounds. This team is not a contender for the cup. There, I said it. Sure the team can fight and scratch to make the 8 seed and bow out quickly or it can go the other way. The other way hopefully gets what young talent they do have a taste of the action at this level with meaningful ice time and improves their draft position dramatically. I personally would rather the team took a longer term approach instead of another first round exit.

Other than Detroit (whose success over the same period as the Devils simply amazes me) most other teams have gone through peaks and valleys. When in the valleys, they picked up great talent in the draft (e.g. Pens, Blackhawks, etc). It happens in all other sports as well as long as you forget the Yankees and Red Sox as they simply buy themselves talent to win.

While you may disagree with me, I'm fine with that. I understand the opposite point of view and it has merit. On the other hand, I've been a Devils fan since they got here, when they absolutely sucked. Those years were hard but as a result they got talent which provided the foundation for the cups the Devils won (I'm not forgetting the theft of #4 as well). It's from being a fan of the franchise since the beginning that allows me to understand the benefit of a short residency in the basement to provide this franchise with the talent it needs to make another 15 year run of excellence which is really hard to do drafting in the middle to late rounds for such a long period of time. Nothing is guaranteed with a top pick but I'll take my chances.

Flame away! :burn:

• Like 1

Am I wrong in thinking the Devils have been talking about Frazee as the goalie of the future? I figure Marty at least for next year and then maybe another extension for 1-3 years (I figure Roy and Hasek were able to do it). I have to admit I always felt sort of scared that Marty wouldn't be willing to admit when he was past his best days as that's hard on any athlete. The converse of this is that Lemaire seems excellent at having the devils protect his goalies and I have noticed a huge increase in blocked shots and the defense staying at home.

I'd love Frazee to get a few starts in Jersey when he's healthy, just so the Devils can get a look at what he can do in the NHL. That being said, I think Wedgewood may be the future.

I'd love Frazee to get a few starts in Jersey when he's healthy, just so the Devils can get a look at what he can do in the NHL. That being said, I think Wedgewood may be the future.

Looking forward to getting a look at both Frazee and Wedgewood. Though Wedgewood is more than likely a long way off.

Looking forward to getting a look at both Frazee and Wedgewood. Though Wedgewood is more than likely a long way off.

Yeah.. there's definitely going to have to be something between Marty and Wedgewood (assuming he works out). I'm guessing Lou goes the free agent route. Pikke Rinne is UFA after next season, haha

Ha ha - thanks for the great responses: go away, etc. I appreciate the willingness to engage in meaningful discourse.

You did not present your stance in a meaningful way, so it was dismissed. The Devils have lost in regulation once over the last dozen games, gained a bunch of ground in the East, and your response is "Time to start tanking!" You had to expect a negative reaction.

It also doesn't really make sense that you brought it up in this thread if the Brodeur injury has nothing to do with it, as you claim.

Take a step back from your anger or whatever emotion you have that dismisses the concept altogether and consider the following: As a result of the 3 maybe 4 points I made above regarding the Devil's current problems, the team is very close to the bottom of the league. Whether or not the draft contains a Crosby like talent, better picks increases your chance at better talent not only at the top end of the draft but throughout the remainder of the rounds. This team is not a contender for the cup. There, I said it. Sure the team can fight and scratch to make the 8 seed and bow out quickly or it can go the other way. The other way hopefully gets what young talent they do have a taste of the action at this level with meaningful ice time and improves their draft position dramatically. I personally would rather the team took a longer term approach instead of another first round exit.

And what, winning in the playoffs isn't even an option? It's lose in the first round or tank the season? As Tri said earlier, you can't know what's going to happen in the first round. At the start of the regular season the goal is to make the playoffs - not get a high draft pick. If you have a chance to make it in, you go for it.

You can make a case that it might be better in the long term, sure. Maybe it would, who knows. But you can't dismiss a playoff run as an option. It would take a miracle to get there but if we did, anything could happen.

• Like 1

You did not present your stance in a meaningful way, so it was dismissed. The Devils have lost in regulation once over the last dozen games, gained a bunch of ground in the East, and your response is "Time to start tanking!" You had to expect a negative reaction.

It also doesn't really make sense that you brought it up in this thread if the Brodeur injury has nothing to do with it, as you claim.

And what, winning in the playoffs isn't even an option? It's lose in the first round or tank the season? As Tri said earlier, you can't know what's going to happen in the first round. At the start of the regular season the goal is to make the playoffs - not get a high draft pick. If you have a chance to make it in, you go for it.

You can make a case that it might be better in the long term, sure. Maybe it would, who knows. But you can't dismiss a playoff run as an option. It would take a miracle to get there but if we did, anything could happen.

And you presented your opinion in a meaningful way? Hardly. Brodeur's injury is just one more reason which bolsters my case.

In your own words, "It would take a miracle to get [in the playoffs]. I'd rather not bet on "miracles", people who do usually wait quite a long time. I'll take 1 or 2 quality drafts to build this franchise up. Longterm thinking needs to come into play. Lou has made too many short term decisions which haven't panned out.

And you presented your opinion in a meaningful way? Hardly. Brodeur's injury is just one more reason which bolsters my case.

In your own words, "It would take a miracle to get [in the playoffs]. I'd rather not bet on "miracles", people who do usually wait quite a long time. I'll take 1 or 2 quality drafts to build this franchise up. Longterm thinking needs to come into play. Lou has made too many short term decisions which haven't panned out.

And I'd rather 'build the franchise up' by having the kids WE ALREADY HAVE do well :P A good finish will mean the kids are doing well, just look at last night. Between the two forwards, Fayne, Taormina (if he gets bionic parts in the offseason) and the other prospects already in our organization I think we'll be all right whatever draft pick we get this year - a weak draft year by the way. And if we can't develop the kids then what good is bringing in another one going to do?

And I'd rather 'build the franchise up' by having the kids WE ALREADY HAVE do well :P A good finish will mean the kids are doing well, just look at last night. Between the two forwards, Fayne, Taormina (if he gets bionic parts in the offseason) and the other prospects already in our organization I think we'll be all right whatever draft pick we get this year - a weak draft year by the way. And if we can't develop the kids then what good is bringing in another one going to do?

And this is way more important. If all the rookies on the roster now became average NHL players, that 1st round pick could totally bust and the Devils would still be in great shape going forward.

NJ will still be in line to draft a nice player. They would've had to try to be as bad as the Islanders or Oilers. I think they'll finish 10 points ahead of both teams.

Exactly. Winning now, whether we make the playoffs or not, is not meaningless. And this seems to be the big misconception among tankers. The kids we have now are getting valuable experience and are learning how to perform in big situations, since every game is approached with essentially a do or die attitude. While no prospect is a "sure thing", these are guys we've had in the organization for a few years now and if the team wants to have success going forward, these need to turn out to be good players. A draft pick, even a high one in a draft like this, is a crap shoot. We could get a star player, or we could get a bust. We could pick a little bit later and get a bust, or we could get the next Jeff Skinner. Who knows? It's too hard to predict what effects picking slightly higher in the draft would have on us. It's easier to predict that winning now and getting big performances from the kids that are playing has a clearly positive impact on our future.