Parise

Bartholomew Hunt

Everyone knows zach wants to play for a contender. If we didnt get out of the first round i wpuld have to conclude he wasnt going to stay. If we lost in 5 or even 6 games in the second round id have assumed he would be leaning toward leaving. But now, advancing to thw ECF, in 5 games, being a top 4 team in the league, this guy has to to be leaning towards staying. Money should not be an issue next year. The devs are almost top 10 in the league in cap space (11th best). Marty will not be re-signing for 5.2 mil again, hes 40, we all know he'll come back for a pay cut of about 2-2.5 mil. Salvo might not come back, he is getting up there in age, but if he does come back i would imagine it would be for less than the 2.9 hes getting now. Zach parise is a premier player in the league and well deserving of 7-8 million. Id be happy giving him 8.5 if that meant he stayed here. If we didnt give him that much he would EASILY get it elsewhere. Zach is very underappreciated here by a lot of our fanbase, mostly on this website. Ever since we got kovi it seems like devs fans put zach on the backburner. Anyway what im getting at is that i think if we can do well this round or get to the.SCF zach would stay. We absolutely need him on this team and this post season had to have swayed the captains opinion on where he signs.

The biggest impediment to resigning Parise will likely be the team's "internal" cap. We don't know what that will be. Certainly more and more home games throughout the playoffs helps that.

The second biggest is whether Parise really wants to stay in NJ. Does he want to be the man or does he want to be the co-pilot? Has he had some bad experiences here, for instance with the medical staff? If Parise truly wants to be given a reason to stay in NJ ($$), then we have hope. My concern, though, has always been that his bags are already packed.

I think he'll stay. His relentless persuit of the puck has already rubbed off on Henrique. One more year and it'll be rubbing off on a couple more guys. If he looks close enough, he'll see that by playing here, he wont get the media harassment he might get in other places if he doesn't score 2 goals a game. Like Gomez did. Life is better here, especially if he's leading us back into the elite category from whence we came. :D

The biggest impediment to resigning Parise will likely be the team's "internal" cap. We don't know what that will be. Certainly more and more home games throughout the playoffs helps that.

The second biggest is whether Parise really wants to stay in NJ. Does he want to be the man or does he want to be the co-pilot? Has he had some bad experiences here, for instance with the medical staff? If Parise truly wants to be given a reason to stay in NJ ($$), then we have hope. My concern, though, has always been that his bags are already packed.

Yeah with the financial problems the devs are going through i can see that being a problem, but on the other hand the devs were only 2 and change under the cap this year. They have 22 mil in cap space going going into the offseason. Thats way more than enough to give zach the money he deserves and sign good solid fowards and dmen.

The teams that have the cap room to offer Zach 8.5m aren't the type of teams he would leave us for. Zach's a devil for life IMO.

Disagree...

Nashville - $32 million in space, 12 players under contract

St. Louis - $28 million, 16 under contract

Detroit - $20 million, 17 under contract

Minnesota (hometown) - $18 million, 15 under contract

Rangers - $16 million, 14 under contract

Disagree...

Boston could make it work with a little juggling. If they manage to dump Thomas, and assuming Savard doesn't come off of IR, they'll have about $13 million in space with 16 under contract.

Also, he loves PDB, look at the commments the devils players give about PDB. I think the only thing is how much the devils can afford or what their internal cap is set at

Choosing based on a coach is kind of short sighted. Parise will almost certainly get a long term deal and Pete DeBoer will probably no longer be coaching the Devils within 2-3 years.

Choosing based on a coach is kind of short sighted. Parise will almost certainly get a long term deal and Pete DeBoer will probably no longer be coaching the Devils within 2-3 years.

Will take a meltdown of epic proportions or DeBoer pulling a Sutter for that to happen.

Burns would have been around a long time had he not gotten sick. Sutter might still be the coach had he not quit on us.

Despite Lou's reputation, the goal recently has been to find a young coach to be here long-term. That was the idea with Sutter (who quit) and Johnny Mac (who was a disaster).

• Like 1

Disagree...

Maybe 7m, not 8.5m as was the OP's premise.

Nashville needs to resign Suter, Weber and Kostitsyn x2, Gaustad, Radulav and MacLellan (rfa's). That's most of their 32m right there.

St. Louis - Ok maybe they have the room, but I don't know why Zach would sign here over NJ

Detroit - Between resigning Quicny, Stewart, Abdelkader and Helm the Wings might barely have enough to give Zach 7m

Minnesota - They still need 5-7 players and will prob use a lot of that space to sign a quality defenseman, maybe if he took a hometown discount...

Rangers - Giving Zach 8.5m would leave then 7.5m to sign 5 other players including Zuccarello and Del Zotto. seems unlikely to me

The NHL has clearly become a year-to-year league...just witness the last three seasons for the Devils (or a lot of other teams). I don't think any NHL players view their team to be a lock for success the year following a deep playoff run. I think they enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. There's just too many teams bunched together in terms of talent and skill, and the playoffs have become a complete crapshoot.

I don't think what the Devils do for the rest of this playoff season (even winning a Cup) will sway Zach much one way or another...I just don't think they correlate that much. For all of the good feelings and smiles that winning can bring, we see players bolt for what they think are greener pastures all of the time, as we say "Why the hell would you leave such a great situation?" We can't get inside these players' heads, and we never will. A lot of what factors into decisions that seem to make little to no sense on the surface are factors we'll never be privy to, nor should we be. If Zach chooses to leave for whatever the reasons, he doesn't owe me an explanation as to why...it's a right he earned, and it's his right to stay or leave.

Even with these two series wins, I don't think Zach is any closer to leaving or staying than he was before.

Nashville needs to resign Suter, Weber and Kostitsyn x2, Gaustad, Radulav and MacLellan (rfa's). That's most of their 32m right there.

Suter is as good as gone. After the shenanigans before Game 3, Kostitsyn and Radulov will not be back. I wouldn't expect Weber to sign a long term deal before UFA status. Gaustad probably won't be back.

Detroit - Between resigning Quicny, Stewart, Abdelkader and Helm the Wings might barely have enough to give Zach 7m

Stuart (sp) isn't necessarily coming back, and the other three are in no way going to eat up 12-14 mil.

Minnesota - They still need 5-7 players and will prob use a lot of that space to sign a quality defenseman, maybe if he took a hometown discount...

If you were the Wild and had a choice of a quality defenseman, or a hometown hero that could be the face of the franchise, what would you pick?

The teams that have the cap room to offer Zach 8.5m aren't the type of teams he would leave us for. Zach's a devil for life IMO.

Hello, Detroit is waiting with more money than any team to make an offer and Detroit is a terrific hockey town with an outstanding owner.

In a heart beat he should go if he gets an offer from Detroit.

Edited by LucifersDog

Suter is as good as gone. After the shenanigans before Game 3, Kostitsyn and Radulov will not be back. I wouldn't expect Weber to sign a long term deal before UFA status. Gaustad probably won't be back.

Nashville doesn't have the money or the inclination to sign Zach Parise.

If you were the Wild and had a choice of a quality defenseman, or a hometown hero that could be the face of the franchise, what would you pick?

Neither, because they're unlikely to get either one.

I'm trying not to comment about this topic - whether he stays or goes, I'm just enjoying the ride.

Imagine if we had just one Parise contract thread form the start of this season. It would be so long right now if it included all the sections of threads that went off-topic into Parise re-sign debates. I'm not saying it would be N-K-U long but it would be decent.