• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

You make money by taking what was promised to the players, cutting it by a large amount, and telling them that's what they deserve. The players' choice right now is either to take a 24% paycut or not play at all. Why would anyone play under those conditions?

Absolutely agree. I hate Fehr for what he did to baseball, but I can't blame any of this on the players or the NHLPA.

Fehr's done a great job in my opinion. Compared to Goodenow who had no idea what negotiation was beyond saying "no" it's been night and day. He's taken the NHL's concerns regarding the profitability of the bottom half of the league seriously and come up with clever solutions to solve the issues involved. Of course the solutions are basically revenue sharing which is clearly beneficial for the NHLPA (since every cap dollar not spent is potential money not going to the players) but that's his job as head of the NHLPA.

Bettman and the owners clearly have no new ideas this go around. Either the top 5 teams are too powerful and are keeping revenue sharing from even entering the equation or the bottom half of the league just has no vision because they seem to have no ideas beyond cutting the players' share of HRR. As Triumph says it's a cash grab, and given the fact that most teams supposedly don't make money on regular season games it makes perfect sense. Only 5 teams are really gonna be missing out on profits by missing games and the players are gonna miss out on a lot of game checks. It will hurt the players asymmetrically and the owners have the leverage.

With that said, that fact that so many teams (seem) content to miss regular season games does speak to the fact that the last CBA had some serious problems. The reason the NFL missed no games is because they make an absurd amount of money and didn't want to lose it. The NBA missed games because it was in the same boat as the NHL. The NBA's CBA did nothing to solve its problems and the NHL's new CBA will do nothing to solve its problems other than give the players a little less money. Which means we'll get the same thing in 5-6 years when this new CBA expires.

It's disapointing, but this is the nature of negotiation of billion dollar plus deals with multiple parties involved. So many different interests and concerns at stake. I just wish the owners were more concerned about avoiding this in the future by creating a profitable regular season like the NFL has. They followed the first part of the NFL blue print (hard salary cap) but ignored the second (revenue sharing) and it's creating these problems.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

What a clown Ovechkin is. Just goes to show it's all about the $$$

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405665

It's called being on strike. You get what you want by threatening your bosses the previously unimaginable. If Ovechkin says it, maybe some owners will have a little doubt in the back of their minds that the Kovy's or Lundqvist's might not come back with a 24% pay cut.

Fehr's done a great job in my opinion. Compared to Goodenow who had no idea what negotiation was beyond saying "no" it's been night and day. He's taken the NHL's concerns regarding the profitability of the bottom half of the league seriously and come up with clever solutions to solve the issues involved. Of course the solutions are basically revenue sharing which is clearly beneficial for the NHLPA (since every cap dollar not spent is potential money not going to the players) but that's his job as head of the NHLPA.

Bettman and the owners clearly have no new ideas this go around. Either the top 5 teams are too powerful and are keeping revenue sharing from even entering the equation or the bottom half of the league just has no vision because they seem to have no ideas beyond cutting the players' share of HRR. As Triumph says it's a cash grab, and given the fact that most teams supposedly don't make money on regular season games it makes perfect sense. Only 5 teams are really gonna be missing out on profits by missing games and the players are gonna miss out on a lot of game checks. It will hurt the players asymmetrically and the owners have the leverage.

With that said, that fact that so many teams (seem) content to miss regular season games does speak to the fact that the last CBA had some serious problems. The reason the NFL missed no games is because they make an absurd amount of money and didn't want to lose it. The NBA missed games because it was in the same boat as the NHL. The NBA's CBA did nothing to solve its problems and the NHL's new CBA will do nothing to solve its problems other than give the players a little less money. Which means we'll get the same thing in 5-6 years when this new CBA expires.

It's disapointing, but this is the nature of negotiation of billion dollar plus deals with multiple parties involved. So many different interests and concerns at stake. I just wish the owners were more concerned about avoiding this in the future by creating a profitable regular season like the NFL has. They followed the first part of the NFL blue print (hard salary cap) but ignored the second (revenue sharing) and it's creating these problems.

Because the NHL doesn't really want to share revenues. Teams like Philly, Rangers, Toronto, Detroit...those teams don't want to share revenues with Edmonton, Florida, Phoenix, Islanders...etc

Not true (at least yet), they're still replaying random games and the other shows they have on.

Actually they're replaying Game 5 of the Finals at 5 PM according to the schedule.

you're right...I dunno. I set my dvr to record the finals game 2 but it didnt. I went to the channel and it said This channel is unavailable. But now it's back. CONSPIRACY!!!

Was watching the Yankees postgame show tonight and they were interviewing CC Sabathia. Sitting in the locker behind him, right next to his Yankees cap, was none other than a NJ Devils hat. Not something you see everyday, and I thought it was pretty cool. Since there is absolutely nothing else going on, I thought I'd share.

Was watching the Yankees postgame show tonight and they were interviewing CC Sabathia. Sitting in the locker behind him, right next to his Yankees cap, was none other than a NJ Devils hat. Not something you see everyday, and I thought it was pretty cool. Since there is absolutely nothing else going on, I thought I'd share.

I'm not sure if he has it for fashion or not but he does live in Alpine so perhaps he is a fan. Now if only he could convert Joba...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1260713--nhl-lockout-leafs-wings-winter-classic-could-die-in-november

The NHL’s New Year’s Day Winter Classic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings is on the chopping block, a potential early victim of the lockout.

A league source told the Star that, barring a settlement, commissioner Gary Bettman plans to cancel it in November — to take away any advantage the players may have at the bargaining table because of the game’s popularity.

“Gary told (the board of governors) he was going to cancel the Winter Classic in November because he didn’t want the players to use the game as leverage,” the source said.

A source close to the players said the NHLPA had heard the same thing.

“It’s a scare tactic,” the union source said. “It just proves the NHL has no intention of negotiating any time soon.”

Detroit VP Jimmy Devellano, in an interview with Island Sports News:

"Each owner / team has a decision as to how they want to pay their players, as long as they are under the cap. Now Donald Fehr (the NHLPA executive director) would have you believe by getting rid of the cap, the owners would make more money and that the sky is the limit, but trust me, the owners would lose their asses. We've tried that. It doesn't work. There is just too much cost involved in running and owning a team.

"It's very complicated and way too much for the average Joe to understand, but having said that, I will tell you this: The owners can basically be viewed as the Ranch, and the players, and me included, are the cattle. The owners own the Ranch and allow the players to eat there. That's the way its always been and that the way it will be forever. And the owners simply aren't going to let a union push them around. It's not going to happen."

http://www.philly.co...l#ixzz27CceUeAV

Edited by 95Crash

Never mind that they can just use it as leverage in early November anyway :rolleyes:

And if the Winter Classic does get canceled, there'll be no season. The owners aren't giving that up and not going to the abyss again.

I don't agree. Right now, the assumptions on the owners' side are that fans will return. I think they're right for a half-season lockout, but I think they are wrong about a full season lockout.

Holik has been assuming at least New Years, maybe a full season. He thinks its that bad from what he has heard.

The players just lose too much by sitting out for a full year. The owners of the small teams also lose too much. It'll be enough to get a deal done, I think.

In a statement, [NHL deputy commissioner Bill] Daly said the Wings and the league agree that Devellano's comments are "neither appropriate, nor authorized, nor permissible under the league's by-laws. Such comments are neither constructive nor helpful to the negotiations." Daly didn't say Devellano's comments were untrue. The problem is that they were true, or essentially true to the owners' mindset, and the truth hurts.

Devellano fined $250K for comments, owners enjoy their silence

EDIT: Fixed above link, which wasn't working.

Edited by 95Crash

I don't agree. Right now, the assumptions on the owners' side are that fans will return. I think they're right for a half-season lockout, but I think they are wrong about a full season lockout.

You and me both...unfortunately they might just be thick-headed enough to learn that lesson the hard way. You just can't do this twice in eight years, with the second time coming after what happened with the economy in this country. Fans won't put up with it outside of Canada.

And I do think the Winter Classic is all but a certain drop-dead date. The owners aren't going to give up that revenue and publicity and then come back after unless they get MAJOR concessions from the players, concessions Fehr won't give. If they were going to give those kinds of concessions then why bother holding out this long to begin with?

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm not so sure about that fine for speaking out...I remember the leafs in 2005 made a statement that hit the press about them not wanting the lockout, wanting to play hockey etc. Don't think they ever got fined. Might've been the team president who made the comment

If they extort this money from Devellano...Ilitch will reimburse him under the table

Edited by '7'

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.