GDT: Bruins @Devils 18th March 2014

nick17112

I could not agree more with this post. Stevens can be brought in to do motivational speeches once a year. Other than that I have never had any faith in him as a coach, I shook my head when they gave him his current role, and by now I just have a headache. It's like the Devils have forgotten how to let players be themselves and develop their talents. Every young D-man has to be a Stevens or he's out (a la Larsson) and if you're an offensive-minded forward, you have no place on the Devils.

QFT. This was the epitome of Lou's status quo. We all knew it going in to last year: our team couldn't do what they did again, no way. And we made absolutely no upgrades, ZERRRRROOOOO, and on top of that lost Zach Parise. 

Also, now that I'm frustrated, in hindsight I have to scream, WHAT THE fvck DID WE DO TO ZHARKOV?

Stevens can't even do motivational speeches. He lead by example, which is useless in coaching. It's a shame Robinson decided to move out west.

As for Zharkov, he's still being useless in Russia right now. He would just add to the long list of people who can't score goals for the Devils if he were here.

Well, I think Lou should be given the benefit of the doubt on moves that need to be made.

Tri pointed out a few whether it be Pando, Brylin, Kovy or even the Schneider trade. He saw things that needed to happen and did it. He may have been guilty of what Tri mentioned above too, the playoff success reward-a-thon, but that's long gone now.

I want Stevens gone.

I'm still unsure of whether it's 100% I want Pete fired. I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt. His entire offense left to free agency. I'm giving Pete the benefit of another training camp and start to next season - but hopefully with a younger/better team. If they start out with bad, fire his ass by Halloween for all I care. But the softie in me thinks he's done a good enough job to warrant the start of another season.

Been thinking about Zubrus, and is there a shot, although his TOI was lower as of late - did we burn him out playing him on the top line for most of the season? Is it possible, he needs a summer off, and a smaller role on the 4th line next season?

I'd say maybe, BUT, Clowe and Zubrus cannot be in the bottom 6 together - it's redundant. I think Zubrus can be effective for another team, but not at the current salary and to us. If somehow we can trade Salvador (retain salary) and buy-out Zubrus, I think it could be a net-gain for the team.

Been thinking about Zubrus, and is there a shot, although his TOI was lower as of late - did we burn him out playing him on the top line for most of the season? Is it possible, he needs a summer off, and a smaller role on the 4th line next season?

I'd say maybe, BUT, Clowe and Zubrus cannot be in the bottom 6 together - it's redundant. I think Zubrus can be effective for another team, but not at the current salary and to us. If somehow we can trade Salvador (retain salary) and buy-out Zubrus, I think it could be a net-gain for the team.

Can't be done.  Zubrus is a 35+ contract, a buyout saves them money but does nothing for his cap hit.  Salvador they can use their compliance buyout on because he was signed before the lockout - Zubrus was signed afterwards so they can't do that.  So they'd have to do it in the reverse order or not at all.

Stevens can't even do motivational speeches. He lead by example, which is useless in coaching. It's a shame Robinson decided to move out west.

Can he at least come to the season ticket holder meet-and-greet?

As for Zharkov, he's still being useless in Russia right now. He would just add to the long list of people who can't score goals for the Devils if he were here.

It's more of a "why was buried while he was here?" kind of thing. But that was a cry out of frustration, I don't mean to rehash the debate.

6 players at the practice today.  No captain, no regulars besides Brunner, Bernier, Volch and Cory.

Think Stevens would've allowed players to skip a practice after that sh!t-show poor effort against Boston?

I wonder if Salvador actually commands respect in the lockerroom.  This team needs new leadership so desperately.

They have a 4-in-6 coming up, you can't expect everyone to be at an optional skate one of the two non playing days. Besides some of them might be worn out as it is with Pete's short bench and shorter fuse with certain players.

I guess you needed to get a jab in somewhere, There hasn't been a short bench that would be different than any team in the league for a while now. Yes, he did get Gelinas off the ice with the leading the 3rd a few games ago, and didn't play the 4th line much down against Tampa. But that's to be expected.

Time on ice was pretty balanced last night. 

Lou has lost all credibility are far as I am concerned. Pete and Stevens should be fired after the season ends. Lou must retire. Owners need to step up and produce a winner, they have the money but not the interest. Henrique and Elais need to stay together next season. Larsson needs to be given one more year. Zubrus should never be more than a 4th line player. Clowe I am not convinced he belongs but willing to give him another try. Ruutu, Zajac and Jagr are together all season as a solid line. Ryder I think we have seen enough he goes. Brunner maybe another year. Gionta and Bernier should be gone. Carter gets another year. Salvador must go. Keep Fayne. Merriel and Gelinas back to Albany next season. Broucher back in Albany next season. Harrold must be gone. Zidlicky another year. Greene stays. Volchenkov stays for another year. Now fill in the blanks with out Lou Lam in charge. Anything less than this find another team to root for because 3 out of 4 years missing the playoffs are bunch of losers. I didn't mention NO Marty Brodeur on the NJ Devils next season.], he must be gone. Don't extend Cory's contract this summer, we must suffer through another Lou FU, maybe, lets find out without the Brodeur Drama.

Marty has hurt this team this season as has Lou, IMO.

Lou has lost all credibility are far as I am concerned. Pete and Stevens should be fired after the season ends. Lou must retire. Owners need to step up and produce a winner, they have the money but not the interest. Henrique and Elais need to stay together next season. Larsson needs to be given one more year. Zubrus should never be more than a 4th line player. Clowe I am not convinced he belongs but willing to give him another try. Ruutu, Zajac and Jagr are together all season as a solid line. Ryder I think we have seen enough he goes. Brunner maybe another year. Gionta and Bernier should be gone. Carter gets another year. Salvador must go. Keep Fayne. Merriel and Gelinas back to Albany next season. Broucher back in Albany next season. Harrold must be gone. Zidlicky another year. Greene stays. Volchenkov stays for another year. Now fill in the blanks with out Lou Lam in charge. Anything less than this find another team to root for because 3 out of 4 years missing the playoffs are bunch of losers. I didn't mention NO Marty Brodeur on the NJ Devils next season.], he must be gone. Don't extend Cory's contract this summer, we must suffer through another Lou FU, maybe, lets find out without the Brodeur Drama.

Marty has hurt this team this season as has Lou, IMO.

One thing you're overlooking is that 75% of those players have contracts next year lol

To be fair to you, players were certainly a lot more scared of Stevens than of Salvador. This locker room has been too comfortable for years. 

Which players are scared of their captains around the league? Which locker room is not comfortable. Maybe comfortable is a good thing? I really don't know, but I think a loose team sounds good. This response isn't directed at you but in general.

The mythification(?) of Stevens or the role of the captain is so ridiculous. What happened to the Devils in 96, 98, 1999, 2001, 2002 with Stevens as the captain? No one knows what Stevens did or didn't do.  Salvador is a bad captain only in the sense that he isn't very good and won't be scratched because of it. 

Philly is flying right now...is that because of the leadership of Claude Giroux or did they suck and have a coach fired because of the leadership of Claude Giroux..I forget. The Rangers aren't too bad. Must be the leadership of Mr. Vacant. What a captain Phaneuf is in Toronto or Stamkos in Tampa Bay. Honestly, who the fvck cares who the captain is.

If the players thought it was so important to be at practice today, maybe former Captain, Stanley Cup winner and teammate of Scott Stevens...Patrik Elias...could have spoken up and told everyone to be there. Maybe HOF goalie who called everyone out...Martin Brodeur...could have told everyone to be there. Maybe, veteran forward and the man that called the Devils performance, "horsesh!t"...Ryan Clowe...could have told people to come to practice.  Or Jagr or Zubrus or Greene, etc.  

Which players are scared of their captains around the league? Which locker room is not comfortable. Maybe comfortable is a good thing? I really don't know, but I think a loose team sounds good. This response isn't directed at you but in general.

The mythification(?) of Stevens or the role of the captain is so ridiculous. What happened to the Devils in 96, 98, 1999, 2001, 2002 with Stevens as the captain? No one knows what Stevens did or didn't do.  Salvador is a bad captain only in the sense that he isn't very good and won't be scratched because of it. 

Philly is flying right now...is that because of the leadership of Claude Giroux or did they suck and have a coach fired because of the leadership of Claude Giroux..I forget. The Rangers aren't too bad. Must be the leadership of Mr. Vacant. What a captain Phaneuf is in Toronto or Stamkos in Tampa Bay. Honestly, who the fvck cares who the captain is.

If the players thought it was so important to be at practice today, maybe former Captain, Stanley Cup winner and teammate of Scott Stevens...Patrik Elias...could have spoken up and told everyone to be there. Maybe HOF goalie who called everyone out...Martin Brodeur...could have told everyone to be there. Maybe, veteran forward and the man that called the Devils performance, "horsesh!t"...Ryan Clowe...could have told people to come to practice.  Or Jagr or Zubrus or Greene, etc.  

+1.  For years I have thought that the title or role of team Captain was very much overstated.  I think fans care about it more than the players themselves. 

Somewhat agreed but you're overstating my statement. All I was saying is that Stevens instilled more fear off (and on) the ice than Salvador does. To me there's a level of comfort that is good and a level where maybe the team needs some more edge. This team gives it their all - I don't buy the 'no heart' stuff - but players should be somewhat scared to be out of position or to not bring it every night. We might not know the nuances of Stevens's actions as a captain but he certainly provided that.

As far as sucking or not sucking being blamed on the captain, well...of course it shouldn't and I haven't scapegoated Sal for one second and nor do I think he is much more responsible for this team's failures than any other player on the team. My comment was on him as a captain.

And your last point is true - we need our best players to be our best players and leaders and this season they have not been.