Zubrus

TomsRiverDevil

Can play on any of the top 3 lines, won't complain about being on a checking type line, throws the body, has enough scoring touch to command some respect from the d, one of the anchors on the PK, and can play all 3 forward positions? He's not a superstar like Kovy or Elias, and he doesn't put the puck in the net like Clarkie (who the fvck thought we'd ever be saying that?), but he's one of those glue guys every team needs.

Zubrus ensures that the Devils keep up their self-imposed quota of "Z" players. I mean, it's common knowledge.

Travis Zajac Steve Zalewski Valeri Zelepukin Peter Zezel Marek Zidlicky Vladimir Zharkov Dainius Zubrus   Andrei Zyuzin

Not to mention our former captain who shall remain nameless .....

:glare:

Zubrus is the MAN. He does everything. Solid two way play, can play any forward position, versatile, teammates love him, fans love him, oh and he is an absolute animal along the boards.

Get the heck out of here....

Wurrrrrrd. When Tyrannosaurus Zubrus goes into the corners, he always leaves with the puck.

• Like 1

If you look at the team and one of the characteristics of our team was it was big and strong. It’s not going to stay like that forever. I wish everybody was Dainius Zubrus. Daninius Zubrus, if he could last for 50 years that would be great.

That was from David Conte at the draft. I guess that says a lot about how important the team feel Zubrus is.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/conte_pleased_with_2012_draft_after_devils_replenish_at_forward/

What does a Zubrus do?

He doesn't seem to stand out good or bad in anyway, just kind of like "oh, it's Zubrus."

Thoughts?

He had one strike against him when he came here, in that he had put up some offense while playing with Washington (mostly because he was playing with Ovechkin) and was coming off a 60-point season, and because Gomez also happened to be coming off a 60-point season before signing with the Rangers, some fans saw him as a semi-replacement for Gomez's offense, but figured he might score more goals (though clearly wouldn't have Gomer's playmaking skills). 

Well, that didn't happen, and for the most part, when he was given chances with more offensive lines to produce, he usually didn't, at least not to the level that many had hoped...but in fairness to Zubrus, his offensive production as a Devils has been on par with the rest of his career, save for his Ovechkin-pumped Washington numbers.  I'll always maintain that Lou signed him hoping he was getting a 50 point-per-season player at a bargain price, and there have been times during Zubrus' stay here that he didn't always seem to be giving it his all, but at his cost and for what he's produced, overall it's been a pretty good deal for the Devils.  And not to be overlooked is that, before he became a Devil, he had injury issues...with NJ, in three of his first five seasons, he played in all 82 games, and missed just three in another.  That has been his most pleasant surprise...his ability to stay on the ice.  I get the feeling he'll be re-signed at season's end, as long as he's reasonable with the contact length (2 years, maybe 3 tops, though 3 would make me a little nervous). 

If you not a score sheet slave, but a man, who understands a game, you will never doubt about what Zubrus gives to the team, to his teammates. He's the most unselfish player you've ever seen, and can give his heart away for the final result of the team. Look at his attitude playing in playoffs..

If you not a score sheet slave, but a man, who understands a game, you will never doubt about what Zubrus gives to the team, to his teammates. He's the most unselfish player you've ever seen, and can give his heart away for the final result of the team. Look at his attitude playing in playoffs..

I am not a score sheet slave at all.  He has not always been consistent with the effort he brings, though he has been steadier in that department as a Devil as his career here has unfolded.  I said the Devils have gotten a pretty good return overall on his contract, and considering how badly long-term deals can go, getting a pretty good return on a six-year contract is just fine. 

I am not a score sheet slave at all.  He has not always been consistent with the effort he brings, though he has been steadier in that department as a Devil as his career here has unfolded.  I said the Devils have gotten a pretty good return overall on his contract, and considering how badly long-term deals can go, getting a pretty good return on a six-year contract is just fine. 

In other words, his name ends with the wrong kind of letters.

I'm more convinced than ever that Brent Sutter had no idea how to use Dainius Zubrus, and that's part of why he has such a bad reputation among Devils fans.  The play moves in the right direction when he's on the ice.  He might not be here after this season, but he put in 6 strong years, and he'll go out the way he should've come in - being used in all situations, making the right play most of the time. Sure he won't score many goals, and maybe he is finally slowing down, but Conte is right - you need a guy like this on your team, and the Devils were lucky to have one for so many years.

as Chico said last game, "Dainius rarely, if ever loses a puck battle", and although he lost one right after chico said that (classic chico superlative, LOL) his point was spot on. he's an underrated skater and stick handler, just missing the true snippers touch, and he still has a good burst when fresh, to jump on those dump ins. arguable our best player in that playoff run last year up until LA

In other words, his name ends with the wrong kind of letters.

I'm more convinced than ever that Brent Sutter had no idea how to use Dainius Zubrus, and that's part of why he has such a bad reputation among Devils fans.  The play moves in the right direction when he's on the ice.  He might not be here after this season, but he put in 6 strong years, and he'll go out the way he should've come in - being used in all situations, making the right play most of the time. Sure he won't score many goals, and maybe he is finally slowing down, but Conte is right - you need a guy like this on your team, and the Devils were lucky to have one for so many years.

I don't think his reputation is bad among Devils fans...I think Devils fans like him now more than ever.  Like I said, I think a lot of Devils fans saw the two good offensive seasons that came before he signed with NJ, saw Gomez leaving, and felt (some expected) that Zubrus would fill that void, more than what was realistic.  And the Devils also gave him chances on scoring lines earlier, so they also thought (more like hoped) he could provide more offense than he ultimately did as a Devil.  But as some of the posts here show, fans have grown to accept what Zubrus really is, and appreciate what he brings.  It's like I said, I can't really criticize what the Devils got out of Zubrus, for what he was signed for...never once in his six years was his contract a bad one, and that's extremely rare for a contract of that term.   

I don't think his reputation is bad among Devils fans...I think Devils fans like him now more than ever.  Like I said, I think a lot of Devils fans saw the two good offensive seasons that came before he signed with NJ, saw Gomez leaving, and felt (some expected) that Zubrus would fill that void, more than what was realistic.  And the Devils also gave him chances on scoring lines earlier, so they also thought (more like hoped) he could provide more offense than he ultimately did as a Devil.  But as some of the posts here show, fans have grown to accept what Zubrus really is, and appreciate what he brings.  It's like I said, I can't really criticize what the Devils got out of Zubrus, for what he was signed for...never once in his six years was his contract a bad one, and that's extremely rare for a contract of that term.   

QFT

I'm a Zubrus fan though.  I'm a fan of anyone with a Cyrano nose.