PP coaching

Guadana

our PP is awful

no score

much SHGA

i do not understand whats for we have oates if barr coaching PK

why not sign Carlyle whos ducks PP was 3rd in the league last year

and he is charismatic person for our coaching stuff

Carlyle is under contract with Anaheim still, so I believe we'd need them to let him out of that contract in order for us to hire him.

If Muller was not coaching Carolina and willing to take an assistant coach job I'd say sign him, but I don't see anyone available right now.

Fire Oates anyway. We are not sitting still on 0 for a given number of PP chances, we are actually putting negative numbers by constantly getting scored SH.

How about taking Kovalchuk off the fvcking point and setting him up off the circle, and using another fvcking defenseman up top? Only something that should've been done, oh I don't know, a month and a half ago?

How about saying this to Oates hahaha Guy seems to believe everything is O.K. He is not even trying sh!t on that PP. Not a single thing have been changed on that PP since the beginning of the year.

Left point: Foster (1st unit) Larsson (2nd unit)

Right Point: Taormina (1st unit) Fayne (2nd unit)

How about saying this to Oates hahaha Guy seems to believe everything is O.K. He is not even trying sh!t on that PP. Not a single thing have been changed on that PP since the beginning of the year.

Left point: Foster (1st unit) Larsson (2nd unit)

Right Point: Taormina (1st unit) Fayne (2nd unit)

I'm not pretending to know as much hockey as a professional coaching staff, nor am I delusional enough to think I know these players better than the guys who break down film and run practice and are around these guys every day- but this is such an obvious, simple change that can be made, that I cannot for the life of me figure out what the fvck these guys see that they feel the need to keep trying sh!t that not only doesn't work, but is such an epic failure, that it makes last year's power play look like the fvcking '88 Oilers.

I'm not pretending to know as much hockey as a professional coaching staff, nor am I delusional enough to think I know these players better than the guys who break down film and run practice and are around these guys every day- but this is such an obvious, simple change that can be made, that I cannot for the life of me figure out what the fvck these guys see that they feel the need to keep trying sh!t that not only doesn't work, but is such an epic failure, that it makes last year's power play look like the fvcking '88 Oilers.

Agreed, its very frustrating to see that they are not even trying something different. I mean you maybe don't see whats going wrong with your PP, but at least try something to jump start it.

i find that Foster's pass to Kovalchuk are always off... Kovy has to adjust everytime and he's missing his shot

The issue isn't Kovy missing his shots, the problem is whenever the puck gets wrapped around the boards and comes to the left point where Kovy is, the puck will "bounce" over his stick or some sh!t like that and then boom, guaranteed 2 on 1 and pretty much guaranteed goal.

I'd like to see a stat on how many times we give up a 2 on 1 on 5 on 5 where it results in a goal as compared to when we give up a 2 on 1 while on the PP. I bet the difference is staggering with the ridiculously high % of goals per 2 on 1 given up while on the PP.

I'm with MD on this one. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Maybe De Boer is insane???!!! But since we've seen Taoramina shooting well from the point, why not use Foster and Taoramina at the points? Do they have to break the record for giving up short handed goals before they take Kovy off the point. Or any forward for that matter.

See--- this is stupid... because he's doing so many other things so well. So... do not fire Oates -- but time needs to be spent on making the PP work. There has to be something in the mix that can work. 1) Make sure it's being articulated. I think it probably is 2) Hone the skills to make it happen -- I'd say Oates doesn't have a flaw there 3) Here is the thing -- enforcing - kicking ass, holding accountable. I dont know Oates but I do think of him as Lady Oates with all his byng action. Larry can start falling on deaf ears as we all know..... it doesn't mean he's not the best there is and it' doesn't mean you can find better -- HARDLY!

so, my thinking is...

Somehow the guys aren't capturing the urgency in practice. They probably aren't screwing up and blanking like they do in real game situations... This is just age old stuff... but with all the age old CRAP this team had been able to overcome since the lockout ( I will be so happy in 2 years when I get to say "the past decade" - I hate this lockout sh!t just because it's all wrong for a mindset going forward) ANYHOW... (Is that sh!tgirlssay? or just me?) ANYHOW...... with all they haven't been able to overcome until JUST NOW....

So who, who knows hockey here, can actually come up with a possible coaching solution that doesn't include firing anyone? Can it fall to DeBoer to find a way to get that urgency?

I just love the brains on the coaching staff... I can't say fire Oates ... no... he's doing way too much to help.

You know -- this has been bothering me. I honestly do sometimes feel like I'm a real fan and you guys aren't. You never try to figure out how to make things work - you want to fire people trade people... no one thinks in most posts. the only thinking that goes on is about gathering data... but they never think about solutions... only ways to look at and interpret data - now maybe RARELY you'll get an idea what's going on with all that info you've wasted hours of manpower gathering and interpreting -- but I think being on the ice and LOOKING is a little faster and a little more accurate. There is a reason scouts aren't coaches guys. It's nice you enjoy it -- but it's not be all end all hockey and it brings you no closer to understanding. Why fool yourself? JUST WATCH and tell me what the hell you see. So what are you seeing on the PP and what kind of coaching do you think will fix it? A lot of people here do :blush: Just I feel like no one is honest because they dont trust their eyes - their hockey knowledge. Stats are black and white and yet provide no sure fire solution. You just get to say it's correct. but it's SOLVING NOTHING!!!! SAYING NOTHING OF IMPORT!! :rant:

you know... and players honestly just dont mess around on message boards - or even honestly follow NHL -- they're too busy with their own leagues... :saddevil:

I'm bitching mostly because I want someone to write something that involves on ice action or practice action that isn't fire soandso - trade soandso.... Why not try to see what's actually going on and ways to fix it? No one ever says what's going on beyond this sucks I want more where's mine? I want my team to win dammit... :rolleyes:

a lot of good stuff was said in this thread - I'm just blanket bitching. It's hard to dig through to find good posts... I guess I'm just mentally lazy :P

I think you keep doing the same thing over and over because it works in practice but in real life it fails -- it all breaks down. you keep thinking NOW they have it but they just dont.

That is my guess anyhow - it seems a logical assumption.

Taormina on the PP, eventually Deboer will realize hockey sense on the back end is needed, not a block of wood who can shoot. Kovalchuk is fine where he's at. The problem is the distribution from the other point. Taormina is an excellent passer who can make shots miss blockers.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

nhl.com did a 10 new years resolutions article and the Devils and DeBoer appeared at number 8:

"Jersey's new coach has gotten off to a pretty good start in his second NHL gig. The Devils, who until very recently were without top center Travis Zajac, have found a way to gain wins and points, staying among the playoff eight in the East.

Still, DeBoer has to do something to repair a leaky power-play unit that's allowed a League-high 11 shorthanded goals. On Monday, Hurricanes center Brandon Sutter was the latest penalty killer to take advantage of the Devils' sloppy power play.

How many is 11 SHG against? Well, it's more than twice as the total of any other team in the League. And the Bruins, Kings, Hawks, Avalanche, Coyotes, Predators and Jets have combined to allow fewer. DeBoer and his coaching staff must find a solution to this irritating problem."