Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

Maybe Brodeur needs $$$. A big divorce, 5 kids. Maybe he spent much more than he should and needs one more big pay day that the Devils can't give right now.

..this.

Marty spends half a million dollars on alimony a year, until 2020. He never got his full market value when he was in his prime that he deserved.. and now (despite being at the age of 40) he may be looking for 1 more pay day.

For most of the reasons already mentioned in this thread, I'm not particularly worried about Brodeur leaving. Where is he realistically going to go and be the starter? Chicago and SJ are possibilities, but I doubt he wants to uproot his family or be 3000 miles away from them during the last year he plays. He and Lou probably couldn't agree on a number, and he will use other offers (if any are even made to him) as leverage. I can't see him leaving here under any circumstances, but I also don't see him coming back for anything less than $5 million on a 1 year deal (if someone gives him a multi-year deal at 40, then they are nuts).

Fact is that we need him as much as he needs us. The kids aren't ready and there is nobody worthwile to replace him through FA this season. He has nowhere to truly go to and be a starter and the 1 other place he might like to play (Montreal) already has an entrenched goalie that they will soon sign to an extension.

Again, teams will line up to sign him one year deal just for the buzz and $$ he'd bring in. He's good enough to start majority of games too, esp w his puck handling abilities. Lou better lock him up for one more year so we are not scrambling for a goalie.

restructure kovalchuks deal...........

What good is that going to do? TG has said we have the money to pay Parise and Marty. 5m for a 40+ year old goaltender who was not very consistent last year is not a good business decision. Marty is going to find his pickins slim and the money even slimmer. There are very few playoff teams that he would be able to go in and start regularly with and then it becomes which team wants to bring him in as an attraction to get butts in the seats.

My guess is if he's not with us, he goes to the loser of the Luongo sweepstakes. Florida or Toronto. I could see Chicago kicking their tires on him a bit.

Its also against the current CBA to re-negotiate terms.

11.10 No Renegotiation. In no event shall a Club and a Player negotiate a change in

any terms of a Player SPC for the then-current season or for any remaining season of an

SPC. This provision shall not prohibit a Player and Club from negotiating an extension

to an existing SPC in accordance with the terms of Section 50.5(f) hereof or from

negotiating a new or reformed SPC or Offer Sheet in the limited context and time-frame

expressly set forth in Section 11.6(a)(vi) above.

Let me speculate on this a bit based on nothing but my own imagination if you will. Lou wants Brodeur to take a pay cut, Brodeur wants the same or a slight bump, and thus we are at and impasse.

Exactly.

Tough decisions ahead for Lou. I'm not even sure bringing Marty back at same price is in best interest of the team. We shall see.

Lavoie reporting that a good source told him Brodeur would be interested in Florida and Tampa Bay.

If true the price for Luongo just went WAY down.

EDIT: Wow, I fail. Breaking report that Luongo traded to Panthers.

Edited by Daniel

source?

samjam99 ‏@samjam99 BREAKING: can confirm Roberto Luongo has been traded to the Florida Panthers. Deal should be announced today. More to come. ‪#Canucks

Not sure if Legit, so could be a double fail on my part. Got it retweeted from NJDevilsBlog.

Lavoie reporting that a good source told him Brodeur would be interested in Florida and Tampa Bay.

I think being in Florida is a big selling point there. He'll will still be playing but in his off time he can enjoy the beach and what not.

Isn't there defense complete crap too? Or is just their goaltending situation? Even then they would have Garon, Roloson, and Lindback with Marty.

Yes, but its very young and improving.