Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

Brodeur has no leverage. And if he went to Tampa it might end up forcing him to retire mid-season. He would be exposed based on what many of us have seen the last couple years and embarrassed playing with that defense in front of him. It would be softies galore and Stamkos would need to put up at least a couple points a night.

So who's going along with Marty to provide goalie help?

Brodeur had a very good 2nd half of the season and followed it up with a great playoffs. Not saying that will continue but he was more very good than bad. Things changed after the Calgary game where he got pulled a few minutes in. It's a risk for any team what to expect, but I do think he has some solid hockey in front of him.

And if the Lightning got any goaltending better than Roloson's historically bad season, they would probably be in the playoffs.

We all knew that there was a possability Marty wouldn't come back (he'd retire). I'm sure Lou had a contingiency plan in the event Marty did decide to pack it in. He'd be throwning Kinkaid /Frazee to the wolves if he intended on using them as a tandem. There's also a good possability Moose isn't coming back as well. You think Lou had marty penciled in as our starter? I think Marty's trying to squeese a 2 year contract out of Lou. If Marty stays he won't be a back up. Then again, there aren't many places with openings for starters.

i really believe that if we lose Parise and Marty... the Devils will be in even more financial trouble than they are in now...

People will be giving back their tix because they lost confidence in the Devils org... its gonna be tough...

i will always be a Marty fan and thankful for what hes given us, but this will be a real hard kick in all of our nuts if he leaves to somewhere else for money

i am hopeful (and optimistic) that we can re-sign BOTH of them... but if not, its going to really be devastating to the fanbase

I really don't see any reason for this other than that he'll be fielding offers and he wants an agent there just to hear what he's worth. Then he reports back to Lou and says "Give me this much" and we're good.

Though I really wonder what the contingency plan is if he retires/leaves.

I really don't see any reason for this other than that he'll be fielding offers and he wants an agent there just to hear what he's worth. Then he reports back to Lou and says "Give me this much" and we're good.

Though I really wonder what the contingency plan is if he retires/leaves.

Retirement is not an option at this point...

He is looking for money, from whoever will give it to him

Id not be surprised if hes pushing for 3. Devils probably only want to go one. It may be the years, not the money.

Three's just silly talk, nobody in the NHL is going to give Marty three years when he's 40+ with the current 35 and over rules on contracts. If Marty wants three years from anyone he's going to have to learn Russian. Maybe he wants two and the team wants one, who knows, but three is jumping the shark imo.

Three's just silly talk, nobody in the NHL is going to give Marty three years when he's 40+ with the current 35 and over rules on contracts. If Marty wants three years from anyone he's going to have to learn Russian. Maybe he wants two and the team wants one, who knows, but three is jumping the shark imo.

There are some stupid, stupid GM's out there. Never say never.

I dont disagree w. you, but Id not be surprised if thats what he wants. He may thinks he deserves it too after the run this year. Marty is a proud dude.

There's not even enough teams that NEED an expensive starting goalie to jump market value to three years. How many playoff teams really would make a pitch for Marty? Possibly Chicago and maybe Florida 'if' they pass on Luongo and junk Theodore? And Marty's not going to a loser at this point in his career, there's a reason he took less money for a decade with the Devils and it wasn't charity. He wants to win. I'm supposed to believe now he's looking for a three-year deal from NHL purgatory?

Edited by NJDevs4978

If Marty goes he goes. I'm surprised that some are having a clutch the pearls moment when earlier in the season we were all speculating about Marty perhaps finishing his career somewhere else. He is the face of the franchise and will always be a Devil, but if he leaves then we have 5 million more in cap space to sign another goalie or what have you.

Look at it this way: For the past two or three seasons Marty has been on a quick downslide. I can't count how many times I've read about Marty fvcking up easy saves or being completely off his game. 1 more year at 3 million is tops what I would offer Marty if I were Lou. Marty is going to have to bite the bullet and accept he's a 40 year old Brodeur and not a 30 year old Brodeur.

I wonder if Marty didn't go and do this because he got the inside track on Parise not coming back?

As of three hours ago, Parise's agents were still meeting with Lou and Lou/Zach have been on lockdown mode the last couple of days. Unless Zach's gone into a bubble and Lou's in emo mode this isn't about an imminent departure for Zach.

I laugh at people who think Parise is irreplaceable. HE IS A BETTER VERSION OF BRIAN GIONTA WHO HAS NO WRIST SHOT. The team will survive if he leaves just like it did when we lost Holik, Gomez, Nieds, and Rafalkski.

Agree 100%. Once his speed goes, he isn't going to be much of an effective hockey player anymore.