Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

The more I think about it, I believe Brodeur just decided to take a step back and wait for the Zach situation to be resolved. Once Lou locks up Zach, Brodeur will re-sign as well. Of course, sitting back and waiting means entering free agency (even though he has no intention of leaving), so he probably hired an agent to field calls so he doesn't have to waste his weekend doing so himself.

Why are the Rangers at 100% they averaged 18,191 but 100% is 18,200. Make it 99.9% espn :rolleyes:

Looks like it rounds to the nearest tenth of a percent. 18,191 out of 18,200 is 99.95%, so that rounds up to 100%.

LA's capacity is well over 18,000, but they have 17,920 as 100 percent. Something weird going on.

The weird thing is how they fill those columns. Believe it or not, both the average of 17,920 and the 100% of capacity are accurate numbers. If you include the two regular-season games they played in Europe (both of which were considered home games), they did average 17,920. 13,800 showed up for the game against the Rangers in Stockholm and they drew 14,300 in Berlin against the Sabres. Back in the States, the 39 games at the Staples Center were filled to 100% capacity; they somehow managed to average 18,119 fans in the 18,118-seat arena.

Phbbbt. This situation's so clownshoes it's actually more like this:

Oh, and a couple other people have already pointed this out, but Marty does owe half a mil in alimony every year until 2020, so I don't blame him for trying to cash in one more time, if that is indeed what he's doing.

I'm reading the possibility of Marty to Tampa? Why did they just trade for Lindbeck? Plus I think Dustin Tokarski (Norfolk Admirals) is phenominal. I'd love to have that kid.

Marty *lives* in Florida in the offseason. If he signed with the Panthers he would probably live in the same place all year round. It's just does this make any sense at all hockeywise. Of course, it does not and it's a sh!tty reason to add a second team tack-on legacy to your career. Ray Bourque, this would be not.

No joke, i think a ton of people are saying Tampa/Florida because one of Marty's kids tweeted they were going to florida in a few weeks. As if people don't take vacations.

No one is thinking that. People are saying Tampa/Florida because it has been reported by a good source, and those are two teams that are looking for goaltending improvements. Not many teams around the league need a starting goalie.

Tampa Bay makes sense. I don't think you can assume Lindback is ready to be a 60+ game starter just yet. A tandem with Brodeur works. And Marty is good buddies with St Louis and Vinny.

Oh, and a couple other people have already pointed this out, but Marty does owe half a mil in alimony every year until 2020, so I don't blame him for trying to cash in one more time, if that is indeed what he's doing.

Why would he cash in now for peanuts more when he could have got a ton more years ago with the same alimony payments looming? This didn't just happen last year.

Why would he cash in now for peanuts more when he could have got a ton more years ago with the same alimony payments looming? This didn't just happen last year.

It was announced in 2009 though. Maybe something he didn't even consider when signing his last contract or that he expected to last until he retired (or a few years after).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3997788

By the way, this article states that he has to pay $132,000 in child support as well. Not sure how long that lasts, but we can bump the number up to $632,000 now.

Edited by devilsrule33

I believe either:

1. Brodeur was really insulted by the offer.

2. A ruse that is hoping to occupy the energy/potential dollars of GM's interested in Parise.

Most, if not all of the teams that are interested in Parise and that Parise would play for, do not need a goalie.

It was announced in 2009 though. Maybe something he didn't even consider when signing his last contract or that he expected to last until he retired (or a few years after).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3997788

By the way, this article states that he has to pay $132,000 in child support as well. Not sure how long that lasts, but we can bump the number up to $632,000 now.

Even so, would he take a $7 million offer from Columbus just for a cash grab? After he sacrificed money his whole career to facilitate winning? The only contender I could see him going to is Chicago and they're skirting the cap the next couple years as it is and need to deal off Crawford (or have him around as an expensive backup).

I still think this is much ado about nothing or very little regardless, especially with the lack of openings around the league. He'd obviously get more money from us (but perhaps be less interested in signing anyway) if Zach doesn't come back so we're not finding out anything until Zach makes his decision.

Tampa Bay makes sense. I don't think you can assume Lindback is ready to be a 60+ game starter just yet. A tandem with Brodeur works. And Marty is good buddies with St Louis and Vinny.

They didn't give up a lot for Lindback to sit him on the bench for a year or two either, and they have a serviceable backup in Garon they can play 25-30 games. Tampa's not exactly an ideal win-now team though they had a good run two years ago.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Plus if he re-signs with the Devils he doesn't have to pay the 3-5-whatever percent commission he'd have to give Brisson if he signs with another team anyway.

Now that he's using Brisson, he's going to have to pay him commission, Brisson isn't going to work for free. I mean, Marty could have worked some special deal out where Brisson's commission is equal to Marty's lawyer's old commission if he stays with the Devils, but Brisson will want something no matter where Marty signs, I would imagine.

Now that he's using Brisson, he's going to have to pay him commission, Brisson isn't going to work for free. I mean, Marty could have worked some special deal out where Brisson's commission is equal to Marty's lawyer's old commission if he stays with the Devils, but Brisson will want something no matter where Marty signs, I would imagine.

He's not using Brisson to negotiate with us though, why would the agent get commission of a contract he had no part in? He'd get work fees for the few days or the week he was in employ, that'd be about it.

He's not using Brisson to negotiate with us though, why would the agent get commission of a contract he had no part in? He'd get work fees for the few days or the week he was in employ, that'd be about it.

Marty always paid someone a commission, even when he was doing his own contracts with the Devils, it was just a lawyer at a much smaller rate.

For Brisson, he doesn't want to do all the work at fielding contracts for Marty and negotiating, only to be left with a few thousand bucks, instead of a few hundred thousand, just because Marty stayed with the Devils. So at worst, I imagine, Brisson will get the old lawyer commission if Marty signs with the Devils, instead of the full agent commission, but Brisson may very well want his full commission regardless of where Marty signs.

Obviously none of us know how Marty and Brisson negotiated their agent deal, this is just how I see it.

Marty always paid someone a commission, even when he was doing his own contracts with the Devils, it was just a lawyer at a much smaller rate.

For Brisson, he doesn't want to do all the work at fielding contracts for Marty and negotiating, only to be left with a few thousand bucks, instead of a few hundred thousand, just because Marty stayed with the Devils. So at worst, I imagine, Brisson will get the old lawyer commission if Marty signs with the Devils, instead of the full agent commission, but Brisson may very well want his full commission regardless of where Marty signs.

Obviously none of us know how Marty and Brisson negotiated their agent deal, this is just how I see it.

Incorrect, a lawyer ethically can not take a commission on a transaction in which he's representing a party. (Unlike a plaintiff's attorney who can get a cut of any judgment). He probably gets a flat fee or an hourly rate, and that's it.

Incorrect, a lawyer ethically can not take a commission on a transaction in which he's representing a party. (Unlike a plaintiff's attorney who can get a cut of any judgment). He probably gets a flat fee or an hourly rate, and that's it.

I'd have to search, but I'm pretty sure it was stated he was paying the lawyer a lower commission than he did his agent. I tried googling it, but it's slammed with all the recent headlines.

I don't know how thin you want to slice it, but Marty represented himself, he hired the lawyer to assist him.

Many agents are also lawyers, so I'm not sure how that would jive with that as your ethical basis either.

Edited by Devils731

The escrow system is NEEDED with linkage and more needed if they're going to play with the floor without moving the cap.

Yeah, you still need the escrow, but I don't see why you would need more escrow with a lower floor relative to the cap. Maybe I don't understand how the escrow system and linkage works - thinking about it now, the players are due 57% of the revenues regardless. So if the league makes more money than the projections say they will, the players actually get a bonus, and if they make less, the players get their paychecks cut. I don't think the players will be receiving 57% of revenues anymore - I think it will go down, and perhaps like the NBA, will continue to go down. Let's say it's 55% next year, 53% the year after, and that's where it stays. Each % point is around $1.3M of the cap, so the cap would get lowered to $67.6M immediately. But let's say you lowered the floor more than the % was cut - say you made it such that the floor was now $20M below the cap - every player would receive more at the end of the year because it would turn out that the players, in total, didn't receive 5x% of league revenues. But I see this as a potential solution to the problem - it's taking the burden on small market teams and pushing it on to every team.

Do I have this wrong? It's been a while since I read about it.

Many agents are also lawyers, so I'm not sure how that would jive with that as your ethical basis either.

They're lawyers by trade or have some kind of background, but when acting as agents they don't have their lawyer hats on, so to speak. I would imagine that agents who have law degrees don't have licenses to practice law.

Basically, whatever lawyer Marty used, probably got nothing more than $20,000, if that, which amounts to two weeks alimony pay,ents to Melanie.

Most, if not all of the teams that are interested in Parise and that Parise would play for, do not need a goalie.

It also may be a PR move if they are anticipating losing Parise. "Devils lose Parise, but keep Hall of Famer Brodeur." Brodeur isn't going anywhere.

Could be a move that is making it harder for Eastrn Confrence teams to make moves for Bernie or Luongo.

Maybe Brodeur is also trying to appease the NHLPA a little as well.

Does anyone really think he is going to play for another team?

Yeah, you still need the escrow, but I don't see why you would need more escrow with a lower floor relative to the cap. Maybe I don't understand how the escrow system and linkage works - thinking about it now, the players are due 57% of the revenues regardless. So if the league makes more money than the projections say they will, the players actually get a bonus, and if they make less, the players get their paychecks cut. I don't think the players will be receiving 57% of revenues anymore - I think it will go down, and perhaps like the NBA, will continue to go down. Let's say it's 55% next year, 53% the year after, and that's where it stays. Each % point is around $1.3M of the cap, so the cap would get lowered to $67.6M immediately. But let's say you lowered the floor more than the % was cut - say you made it such that the floor was now $20M below the cap - every player would receive more at the end of the year because it would turn out that the players, in total, didn't receive 5x% of league revenues. But I see this as a potential solution to the problem - it's taking the burden on small market teams and pushing it on to every team.

Do I have this wrong? It's been a while since I read about it.

escrow withholds 18% of players' salary each year. at the end of the year, if revenues after salaries less the 18% don't give the owners 43%, the players escrow is not released. if it's made, they get their escrow. if its in the middle, they get some of it. the players don't "get their paychecks cut" as if it's an after the fact play. they just never get the escrow that is held back.