It's Official....asked for refund

mackchi

I have been a STH for many years. It really hurts to have this happen but we were extremely hurt by Sandy and I cannot leave my money tied up with a bunch of individuals who have money to burn and can't get out of the way of their own avaricious nature. They (owners and players) have totally lost touch with reality and especially to the hard working people who rely on the income from the arena etc as well as the rest of us hard working folks who support them. It's official...I have requested a refund and I will not spend another dime on NHL merchandise or go to any games. How long this will last for me...I do not know. I had a similar experience in 1994 with MLB and I haven't spent a dime on them since. No merchandise or game tickets. I have watched the occasional game on television but no where near the level I used to. I was a bigger MLB fan than a NHL fan back then and I learned that I can live without it. The same may happen with the NHL for me.

Hockey games were always great family venues for us...professional and otherwise...but the professional venue is now removed and my kids are grown up and no longer play hockey so this has been a big let down for us.

I don't know if I can even bother to get my two grandson's excited about the NHL. They are only 4 and 2 years old but there will be little hockey talk around the family gatherings. Too bad. The NHL and NHLPA have blown it...the very essence and heart of a game that is so unique, so great on so many levels is now damaged for a long time.

So long NHL...you have lost me.

I understand your loss. It is difficult to deal with. I need to point out that the OWNERS are the bad guys not the players. I personally have no intention of financially supporting the NHL or the Devils, any more. Yes it is my loss to not go to a game but I can live with this. Life has many other things more positive to offer than the NHL Owners.

I've been lurking but not posting all lockout, and I just wanted to contribute in this specific thread. My dad was a season ticket holder with me (now my brother when I'm off at school) for 15 years. He stayed on board during the last lockout, he took the added expense when we moved to Prudential, and lives and dies by the team. He called me a week ago clearly devastated and told me he had to cancel his season tickets and get his money back. We lost our living room during Sandy, a tree is now a makeshift divider in the house. Posters who I've gotten to know well know how much my family is hurting on a financial level, and the decision for my dad was "pick up a third job to fix your home" or "take money away from greedy millionaires who have lost touch with their fans". The decision was crushing, but in the end it was relatively easy.

I also wanted to come on to say that trailblazer and beetlebum and other posters like them are the reason myself and many others have avoided the forums. The only purpose they serve is to post douchebag comments and think they're hysterical. I'm relatively certain both of them have been suspended in the past, and I'm disappointed to see that their time out didn't change anything about their posting style. I hope both of you get hurt. I will laugh when you do.

Peace.

was sandy the reason for financial hardship or did it start before that?

Sorry to hear that Norman.. I mean I've obviously been very vocal about directing any negative feelings and actions from the lockout at the league and away from the Devils, but your circumstances absolutely call for it and you make a great point that here your family is struggling and the league/players are fighting over millions of dollars.. I'll definitely keep you in the loop if I have some games I can't make.. Hope you guys have a good holiday man

I'm a big supporter of fans pulling money from the cartel in response to the failed negotiations.

If the parties realize that the alienation of customers will negate any increase in revenue derived from CBA negotation victories, they will strive to prevent future work stoppages as fervently as they fight for little beneficial contract clauses.

Edited by Ollie McKraut
  • Like 1

Was anyone able to get their full amount refunded back? A rep from the Devils told me that couldn't happen, it had to be refunded on a month to month basis and only for games that are cancelled. I brought up the point that I agreed to a full season and since that can no longer happen wouldn't the contract be void, and I should be able to get my full amount back but they told me that wasn't the case.

Was anyone able to get their full amount refunded back? A rep from the Devils told me that couldn't happen, it had to be refunded on a month to month basis and only for games that are cancelled.

Yeah well just wait two-three weeks, it's looking like you'll be able to get a full refund soon enough :P

I'm a big supporter of fans pulling money from the cartel in response to the failed negotiations.

If the parties realize that the alienation of customers will negate any increase in revenue derived from CBA negotation victories, they will strive to prevent future work stoppages as fervently as they fight for little beneficial contract clauses.

This is why I can't get on any fan who chooses to protest (and by protest I mean not spending money for a few months-full season), even if it hurts the Devils short-term. That's the only thing that's going to change the 'lawyering up' mentality on both sides.

I usually only make 5 or 5 games a year (1 or 2 the past couple, because I've been travelling a little), so I can't really hurt them much, but I'm asking for a Michael Bradley team USA jersey instead of a Dano Christmas tree jersey for Christmas this year. Take that NHL.

Wow, a thread full of legitimate, real-world problems being prioritized over this muddled nonsense between people who don't give a rat's ass about us. Something other than infantile PR stunts, owners demanding further protection from themselves, and the richest players trying to get richer while hurting the other 99% of their bretheren. How utterly refreshing to see common sense prevailing.

My heart breaks to see so many people here in dire financial straits. Best of luck to all of you.

Luckily, Sandy wasn't that bad where I am, and my family back at the Shore was inland enough to be spared from major damage. I've never been a season ticket holder, not even partial. So the storm and money really have nothing to do with me saying that I'm near my breaking point with this stupid league too.

Reading the other thread playing with the possibility of someone other than the NHL playing for the Stanley Cup got me thinking ... 1994, 2004-05, 2012 ... the NHL doesn't deserve the Stanley Cup. It's the coolest trophy in sports, and somehow this clusterfvck of a league gets to compete for it? That's like some community college intramural league giving gold medals to its winners while Olympic champions worldwide are forced to compete for turd necklaces.

And if I no longer care whether the NHL gets to compete for the Cup, then why do I care about the league at all? For most of my teenage and adult life, I've had a Devils hat practically stitched onto my skull. It's almost as much a part of my visible identity as my face. And now, for the first time since I was 12, I no longer want to be seen with an NHL logo anywhere on me. Why would I want to be associated with this kind of selfish bullsh!t? I've got a new home state to acclimate to. I've got a wedding to plan. My fiancee and I are hosting Christmas for the first time ever this year, and there's a weird smell in the apartment that I need to find and get rid of before my Grandma comes over. I've got a life to live, and continuing to care about a league that so obviously couldn't care less about its fans just seems like such an insane waste of time and energy and yada yada yada.

Both sides suck. I can't force myself to favor one over the other. But at least if they play, there's something to distract me from the fact that the people I give my money to are greedy, unsympathetic fvcktards. But for two decades now, like clockwork, we miss chunks of or an entire season so they can try to squeeze more money out of each other. I'm sick of it. Drop the damn puck already and distract me from how much I hate you owners and players!

If this entire season gets wiped out, I may have to force myself to become a basketball fan or something. At least the Devils would've given me a memorable and fun final run last spring.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod
  • Like 2

If this entire season gets wiped out, I may have to force myself to become a basketball fan or something. At least the Devils would've given me a memorable and fun final run last spring.

I used to love basketball, before I started playing hockey in college, and the Devils were a lot more watchable than the sh!t Knicks. I'm getting more and more into the Knicks now, and even when hockey gets back, I may miss some Devils games for basketball.

I used to love basketball, before I started playing hockey in college, and the Devils were a lot more watchable than the sh!t Knicks. I'm getting more and more into the Knicks now, and even when hockey gets back, I may miss some Devils games for basketball.

This year has renewed my passion for basketball that has been missing since my middle school days. At this point if the NHL does return, I'll be watching Nets games live and DVRing Devils games (after I end my boycott).

Wow, a thread full of legitimate, real-world problems being prioritized over this muddled nonsense between people who don't give a rat's ass about us. Something other than infantile PR stunts, owners demanding further protection from themselves, and the richest players trying to get richer while hurting the other 99% of their bretheren. How utterly refreshing to see common sense prevailing.

My heart breaks to see so many people here in dire financial straits. Best of luck to all of you.

Luckily, Sandy wasn't that bad where I am, and my family back at the Shore was inland enough to be spared from major damage. I've never been a season ticket holder, not even partial. So the storm and money really have nothing to do with me saying that I'm near my breaking point with this stupid league too.

Reading the other thread playing with the possibility of someone other than the NHL playing for the Stanley Cup got me thinking ... 1994, 2004-05, 2012 ... the NHL doesn't deserve the Stanley Cup. It's the coolest trophy in sports, and somehow this clusterfvck of a league gets to compete for it? That's like some community college intramural league giving gold medals to its winners while Olympic champions worldwide are forced to compete for turd necklaces.

And if I no longer care whether the NHL gets to compete for the Cup, then why do I care about the league at all? For most of my teenage and adult life, I've had a Devils hat practically stitched onto my skull. It's almost as much a part of my visible identity as my face. And now, for the first time since I was 12, I no longer want to be seen with an NHL logo anywhere on me. Why would I want to be associated with this kind of selfish bullsh!t? I've got a new home state to acclimate to. I've got a wedding to plan. My fiancee and I are hosting Christmas for the first time ever this year, and there's a weird smell in the apartment that I need to find and get rid of before my Grandma comes over. I've got a life to live, and continuing to care about a league that so obviously couldn't care less about its fans just seems like such an insane waste of time and energy and yada yada yada.

Both sides suck. I can't force myself to favor one over the other. But at least if they play, there's something to distract me from the fact that the people I give my money to are greedy, unsympathetic fvcktards. But for two decades now now, like clockwork, we miss chunks of or an entire season so they can try to squeeze more money out of each other. I'm sick of it. Drop the damn puck already and distract me from how much I hate you owners and players!

I'm one of the few fortunate people who is actually doing well financially in a time where so many people aren't. I consider myself to be extraordinarily lucky...I have worked hard, but so have many others, and sadly hard work and great skillsets and knowledge bases are not always rewarded. Sometimes it's all about getting breaks. My break started when I was a 22-year-old who dropped out of college having no idea what I was going to do with my life, and my father said, "You've always had the aptitiude to be learn engineering, why don't you come work for me?" He had to train me from the ground up...he could've hired someone with an education and experience, and not had to deal with my growing pains on multiple fronts, but he took a chance on me when the business was only the two of us. I don't kid myself...being in my own business, my situation could always change for the worse in a matter of months...I don't assume the next several years will be like the past few.

Anyway, due to things going so well, I was able to move into a bigger and nicer home back in July, and the whole walk-out basement area is my mancave sports haven. Two of the walls (one of which is painted NJ Devils red) is covered with tons of Devils photos and other sports memorabilia. One wall is a "Hall Of Fame"-type area, for players who've had their Devils numbers retired...there is space for Elias and Brodeur. I love the Devils and I love Devils hockey. But I'm reaching the point where I can barely look at all of it anymore, and though I don't think I could ever do it (not yet), there's a part of me that just wants to take it all down and put something else up, for no other reason that every time I look at those walls now, I'm disgusted. These fvckers are about to kill another hockey season. I can't believe I just typed that. Where the fvck did common-fvcking-sense go? How could it all come down to this AGAIN?! The arrogance, the complete lack of awareness and respect for the people that make this all happen (US!)...the poor souls who actually have their livelihoods tied to these selfish out-of-touch a$$holes playing their childs' game...I am just at a complete loss...

Well said DIG, well said.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

CR76 I'm mad jealous.. I've been collecting items for a Devils man-cave since 2009.. Unfortunately, I was stupid and collected Parise pictures because why would he ever leave us, right?!? I literally have Devils tissue boxes I'm saving because god forbid they're not making those in 15 years when I actually can afford a good house.. I need help :(

On topic, I will say this.. I feel that none of the pro leagues are really that different from the NHL and its players.. They're all greedy and money always comes before the fans.. The issues with the NHL just run so much deeper that it results in lockouts.. I guarantee the NFL and NBA lockouts weren't resolved because they wanted to do something for the fans.. But I agree that supporting the League as a whole after this lockout gives them the security of believing that future lockouts won't hurt them, and that pisses me off

Edited by Colin226

CR76 I'm mad jealous.. I've been collecting items for a Devils man-cave since 2009.. Unfortunately, I was stupid and collected Parise pictures because why would he ever leave us, right?!? I literally have Devils tissue boxes I'm saving because god forbid they're not making those in 15 years when I actually can afford a good house.. I need help :(

On topic, I will say this.. I feel that none of the pro leagues are really that different from the NHL and its players.. They're all greedy and money always comes before the fans.. The issues with the NHL just run so much deeper that it results in lockouts.. I guarantee the NFL and NBA lockouts weren't resolved because they wanted to do something for the fans.. But I agree that supporting the League as a whole after this lockout gives them the security of believing that future lockouts won't hurt them, and that pisses me off

You will get there faster than I did Colin...you are much more mature and centered at your age than I was at your age. I had a lot of growing up to do.

I agree, I don't think necessarily think any one league cares any more about its fans than any other. Unfortunately the elements needed for the perfect storm lockout scenarios just seem to have a way of coming together in the NHL. And it's so damned maddening!

I was so close to buying Parise photos, but just didn't have a good feeling...I never did. I have some Rockies and Scouts stuff too...from left to right, the one wall is like an evolution of the franchise of sorts. I'll have to take pictures of it, when I'm less disgusted (whenever that will be).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

My gf and I are planning on buying a house in the next 2-4 years and she is encouraging me to have my own Devils man-cave. She even suggested I have a small bar down there too and for me to get the biggest TV possible given the space and regardless of cost. God I love her.

I now have quite a bit of Devils stuff and so much so that I ran out of room in my condo some time ago. Now I have a majority of it locked in bins in my parents basement until I get my house.

As for Parise, I stopped buying any of his stuff about 2 years ago because I also had a feeling he was bolting. All I really have of him is one replica jersey (I have a good sized jersey collection so that doesn't bother me) and a signed puck by him.

My gf and I are planning on buying a house in the next 2-4 years and she is encouraging me to have my own Devils man-cave. She even suggested I have a small bar down there too and for me to get the biggest TV possible given the space and regardless of cost. God I love her.

I now have quite a bit of Devils stuff and so much so that I ran out of room in my condo some time ago. Now I have a majority of it locked in bins in my parents basement until I get my house.

As for Parise, I stopped buying any of his stuff about 2 years ago because I also had a feeling he was bolting. All I really have of him is one replica jersey (I have a good sized jersey collection so that doesn't bother me) and a signed puck by him.

I got lucky with this house...the previous owner had a full Irish bar installed and several other goodies. The only thing I really had to do was paint the one wall, and have a TV installed near the bar area. I have a second TV in the other part of the 'cave, so when friends come over to watch football, I can have more than one game on. I had to have the feed swapped over for TV#2 to the opposite wall to complete my theme. After that, all I really had to do was hang up all of my stuff and arrange my furniture. It came out waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I expected...one of these days I'll post pics.

The largest wall is all Devils, but the Mets and Patriots are well-represented elsewhere. I was so looking forward to watching Devils games down there...I really was... :doh1::urg:

I'm so frustrated right now. When the season gets cancelled I will get my full season ticket refund. I won't be a full season holder next year.

When I see millionaires arguing with other millionaires and billionaires, it makes me so angry. I've been a devils fan since Johnny Mac netted that it goal in Chicago but this lockout.... In this economy.. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I can always spend my entertainment dollar elsewhere. What a shame. I'll stay home and watch the games if they ever resume. I just hope the Devils can survive this. The owners and players had the entire off season to work out a deal. They chose not to for leverage.

At this point I'd love for the owners to void all contracts.. Institute their own salary cap... Revenue sharing.. And start again with all A H L players. Drop the ticket prices down due to no crazy salaries and start over from scratch. It would be refreshing to see young, eager, happy players playing in the NHL. Let the millionaire players go to the khl.

If this season gets cancelled, I hope the NHL and players take a huge financial hit.

Edited by Scoopscj

At this point I'd love for the owners to void all contracts.. Institute their own salary cap... Revenue sharing.. And start again with all A H L players. Drop the ticket prices down due to no crazy salaries and start over from scratch. It would be refreshing to see young, eager, happy players playing in the NHL. Let the millionaire players go to the khl.

Not to fully defend the players, but they were willing to play under the old CBA and the owners lock them out. I don't get how anyone can side with the owners to this degree, though cheap tickets would be nice.

Not to fully defend the players, but they were willing to play under the old CBA and the owners lock them out. I don't get how anyone can side with the owners to this degree, though cheap tickets would be nice.

And then the players could have walked out on strike, which Fehr did in baseball. I'm not defending the owners but how can you expect them to agree to that when the same man who led the MLB players to strike is running the players union? That scenario would have been the only thing worse then canceling the entire season and the owners would have been insane to agree to something like that.

Edited by Satans Hockey

And then the players could have walked out on strike, which Fehr did in baseball. I'm not defending the owners but how can you expect them to agree to that when the same man who led the MLB players to strike is running the players union? That scenario would have been the only thing worse then canceling the entire season and the owners would have been insane to agree to something like that.

But the players didn't strike -- not this time, not last time, and not the time before that.

Three lockout in a row and many fans are still laying this largely on the players. I don't get it.

• Like 1

I'm sure they could have agreed to an extension for a season while they worked on a new agreement. But it's just stubbornness and greed on both sides. They should have been meeting (Bettman and Fehr) all season. It should never come to this. It really is sad that both sides waited until it was too late so they could play a billion dollar game of chicken.

I'm one of the few fortunate people who is actually doing well financially in a time where so many people aren't. I consider myself to be extraordinarily lucky...I have worked hard, but so have many others, and sadly hard work and great skillsets and knowledge bases are not always rewarded. Sometimes it's all about getting breaks. My break started when I was a 22-year-old who dropped out of college having no idea what I was going to do with my life, and my father said, "You've always had the aptitiude to be learn engineering, why don't you come work for me?" He had to train me from the ground up...he could've hired someone with an education and experience, and not had to deal with my growing pains on multiple fronts, but he took a chance on me when the business was only the two of us. I don't kid myself...being in my own business, my situation could always change for the worse in a matter of months...I don't assume the next several years will be like the past few.

Anyway, due to things going so well, I was able to move into a bigger and nicer home back in July, and the whole walk-out basement area is my mancave sports haven. Two of the walls (one of which is painted NJ Devils red) is covered with tons of Devils photos and other sports memorabilia. One wall is a "Hall Of Fame"-type area, for players who've had their Devils numbers retired...there is space for Elias and Brodeur. I love the Devils and I love Devils hockey. But I'm reaching the point where I can barely look at all of it anymore, and though I don't think I could ever do it (not yet), there's a part of me that just wants to take it all down and put something else up, for no other reason that every time I look at those walls now, I'm disgusted. These fvckers are about to kill another hockey season. I can't believe I just typed that. Where the fvck did common-fvcking-sense go? How could it all come down to this AGAIN?! The arrogance, the complete lack of awareness and respect for the people that make this all happen (US!)...the poor souls who actually have their livelihoods tied to these selfish out-of-touch a$$holes playing their childs' game...I am just at a complete loss...

Well said DIG, well said.

One does not simply read the last half of the last paragraph without picturing CR as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

But the players didn't strike -- not this time, not last time, and not the time before that.

Three lockout in a row and many fans are still laying this largely on the players. I don't get it.

I think it's pretty split...there are just as many people who hate Bettman and think he's the root of evil because of being a three-lockout commisioner than there are people jealous of the players for not having enough despite an average salary of $2+ million and hating their childish actions and tweets throughout.

But owners are never going to give the PA a chance to strike again, not after the NFL, MLB and NHL all staged extortionist walkouts during the late '80's and early '90's. And quite honestly, it's better to not have a season at all then go through what baseball did in '94 and have the finish taken away after you've invested so much time in it.

I think you're missing the point - the PA not only would have played without a CBA (i.e. under the old rules), they would have signed up for this CBA again, were it put to them. But of course not - need more cost certainty. Can't have the Leafs and Rangers making only a guaranteed $20 million every year.

One does not simply read the last half of the last paragraph without picturing CR as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

Oh man, thanks for a good laugh DP26. I think I'm more defeated in my disbelief at this point. I'm too numb to be angry.