What is going on with the refs?

Neb00rs

You're going by the letter of the law, I'm trying to use how they've applied the rule for years.

I can turn this right around the other way, since you think the rule is ignored, you believe that any puck that goes in that isn't off a players glove or kicked in by a skate counts? If I see a puck laying still on the ice and I lay on the ice and knock it in with my elbow that goal should count, because this rule is ignored.

Actually I don't think the they should be following the rule verbatim or ignoring it. Traditionally it seems to me like this rule has been used to prevent players from using some portion of their arm to bat pucks in. I don't really know if that's right wrong of indifferent, but I don't think the place to change the precedent is the conference finals.

If that isn't a player kicking at the puck, then there is almost no motion on the planet, other than a guy kicking it like he is kicking a field goal in football, that is a kick.

We can see how little motion is actually needed for a player to be determined to "kick" the puck on purpose. We see all the time how little you have to do to be purposefully knocking at the puck. I don't think there are many people who don't believe Callahan didn't know exactly what he was doing on the play, even most Ranger fans think he did it on purpose but was just sneaky enough to have it count.

This. The point is there's about 100 goals in the NHL this season that need to be counted now based on the standard. This to me is an obvious call compared to some goals i;ve seen disallowed.

That sir is a good kicked in goal in soocer!

Great post. Good clarity of the situation.

Eh look at this one, Zubrus's skate actually hits Callahan's skate causing the kick, or at least influencing it.

callahan.gif

I'm not sure their skates even touch.

Edited by ben00rs

This. The point is there's about 100 goals in the NHL this season that need to be counted now based on the standard. This to me is an obvious call compared to some goals i;ve seen disallowed.

A hundred?? What are you talking about? there might be 2 or 3 goals a year that go off someones shin like this.

A hundred?? What are you talking about? there might be 2 or 3 goals a year that go off someones shin like this.

100 is an exaggeration - I have no idea what the number is. Of course there are only a few like this, that goes without saying. What I'm saying is that there have been plenty of goals this year with less obvious kicking motion and intent to propel the puck in with something other than the stick. Obviously from this thread the NHL not only needs to be more consistent with its calls - btw there have been numerous ridiculous ones against the Devils this year (including the one called back vs the Rags earlier in the season)- but also needs to be more consistent with the rule book.

Eh look at this one, Zubrus's skate actually hits Callahan's skate causing the kick, or at least influencing it.

There is no way Zubrus's skate hits Callahan's with enough force to cause him to unwillingly move his skate that much.

Callahan did NOT kick it in, it went by his kicking left leg and struck his right leg. No one believes me.

Look at the puck behind his left leg before it strikes his right leg.

Holy crap you seem to be correct. When you posted this picture I thought it was just a stick blade or skate or something other than the puck, but when you see this in the gif posted a couple posts above yours, it looks like you actually knew what you were talking about all along haha. I thought you were wrong before, but now it looks like you're right. The puck is higher in the air than we think and it happens so fast it's hard to tell, but it goes off his right thigh and then goes through the air above his skate, so it appears to go off his left skate/ankle/shin.

Edited by devilsfan26

100 is an exaggeration - I have no idea what the number is. Of course there are only a few like this, that goes without saying. What I'm saying is that there have been plenty of goals this year with less obvious kicking motion and intent to propel the puck in with something other than the stick. Obviously from this thread the NHL not only needs to be more consistent with its calls - btw there have been numerous ridiculous ones against the Devils this year (including the one called back vs the Rags earlier in the season)- but also needs to be more consistent with the rule book.

He's not even arguing about distinct kicking motion, how far behind in the thread are you? He is talking about a different rule all together. "Distinct kicking motion" applies to goals that go off skates, and it's pretty well confirmed at this point that it did not.

He's not even arguing about distinct kicking motion, how far behind in the thread are you? He is talking about a different rule all together. "Distinct kicking motion" applies to goals that go off skates, and it's pretty well confirmed at this point that it did not.

Im saying it doesn't matter what rule is being talked about. Just basically, the goal should not have counted (if it hit his left skate) based on other kicked in goals over the past year. He moved his skate towards the puck and clearly, to kick in the puck. If the poster above is right and it hit his right leg of course it's a goal. I saw his argument and its definitely possible, we'd need to see the freeze about a tenth of a second later.