Devils re-sign Bryce Salvador

Amberite

i don't want to hear any of this "in lou we trust" bullsh!t. this is simply terrible. lou has been awful this post season.

sal for 3 fvcking years?! there is no place for him. obviously someone is getting dealt but still. to let poni walk over 1.8 and hand this out is ludicrous.

Say hello to the new captain if Zach leaves. All they did was talk about what a great leader he was and how great he was for the locker room. He's a Lou type player.

i don't want to hear any of this "in lou we trust" bullsh!t. this is simply terrible. lou has been awful this post season.

sal for 3 fvcking years?! there is no place for him. obviously someone is getting dealt but still. to let poni walk over 1.8 and hand this out is ludicrous.

Well, Salvador waited and Poni didn't.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Once Fayne is signed, that's 8 defenseman.

Like someone said, if he retires after a concussion, the cap hit stays.

The only positive I can think of is that it keeps last year's group together, which is better ammunition to keep Zach.

2 years would have been iffy. But 3??? Jeez.

Edited by Z-Man

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Once Fayne is signed, that's 8 defenseman.

Like someone said, if he retires after a concussion, the cap hit stays.

The only positive I can think of is that it keeps last year's group together, which is better ammunition to keep Zach.

2 years would have been iffy. But 3??? Jeez.

Zach was a very big fan of Salvador, especially last off season when Zach suggested Sal should be captain.

There are no horrendous deals if you're not going to the cap.

I do think it's funny that they're supposed to be desperately broke but are overpaying everyone. Shoalts looks like a fool.

Shoalts is a fool. There are lots of horrendous deals if you are not going to the cap - that is one of the dumber things I've ever heard you say, and you don't say dumb stuff.

Yeah this certainly seems to be a 'reward' type deal, which, as we've seen, has no place in the NHL after the implementation of the salary cap. This is a deal we'll all be hating two years from now when he's either retired or a healthy scratch.

Question for those who might know:

If a player retires, is he owed anything by the team?

The ONLY pro-Lou way of spinning this is that he's hoping Brodeur, Moose, and Salvador retire after this year, so their cap hits stay on yet the team would owe them no money (thus cheaply getting the team to the cap floor next year).

Although I'm sure there are tons of holes in that theory.

Question for those who might know:

If a player retires, is he owed anything by the team?

No. When someone retires, they forfeit the remaining money on the contract.

However, with the over 35 contract, the team's cap hit remains for the original contract length.