Brodeur vs Roy.. vote!

msweet

The way I've always compared "The Big Three" (Roy, Brodeur, Hasek)

Roy:  most clutch, Captain Butterfly

Hasek:  best pure puck-stopper, probably ever

Brodeur:  best all-arounder...rules were actually put in place to negate his strengths.  Insanely durable. 

• Like 2

Brodeur:  best all-arounder...rules were actually put in place to negate his strengths.  Insanely durable. 

This is pretty much where i stand. Brodeur's longevity and durability are unmatched, but Roy won 2 Conn Smythes and 4 Cups over the course of 15 years.

I wish I could have seen guys like Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk, etc in their prime to compare.

Good comparision. Marty stick handling is a plus for him, but Roy was clutch for the big games. Who doesn't get concerned if it is the big game and Marty in his prime was in goal?

You got to stop the puck before you move it.

These are the best three goalie that have been in the NHL. Tough ranking number 1. They each were special.

Roy slightly better, and the greatest big game goalie of the past 30 years at least. Marty better to have around for a full season, especially on a so so team because of his poise and leadership. You can't ignore that Roy bear Marty in '01 (and yes, I know there were other players), but I don't see Roy winning a cup with the '03 Devils; that team won because they trusted each other and bounced back from mistakes as a team, and Marty's calming presence in net and refusal to throw guys under the bus, even when they couldn't score, had a lot to do with that culture. 

Good comparision. Marty stick handling is a plus for him, but Roy was clutch for the big games. Who doesn't get concerned if it is the big game and Marty in his prime was in goal?

You got to stop the puck before you move it.

These are the best three goalie that have been in the NHL. Tough ranking number 1. They each were special.

It's not like you can go wrong with ANY of them, really.

What's amazing in Hasek's case is that he racked up 389 wins and didn't even become a full-time starter in the NHL until he was 28. 

I've brought this up before, but from '93-'99, Hasek's save%s were just ridiculous:  .930, .930, .920, .930, .932, .937.  He finished at .922 for his career (.925 playoffs).  Brodeur is at .913 for his career and .919 playoffs, and Roy is at .910 career and .918 playoffs.  Roy's numbers are a little tricky because he played in both Live Puck and Dead Puck (his .900 save% led the NHL in '87-'88...he was putting up .900+ save%s and sub-3.00 GAAs when it was a big deal to do so.  Vanbiesbrouck won a Vezina in '86 with a 3.32 GAA and .887 save%.  Those numbers would get you cut today).  Brodeur and Hasek played most of their careers in Dead Puck.  Roy's play really sticks out if you were watching NHL hockey in the '80s, because there was a lot of mediocre goaltending back then...yeah, there were a lot of Giguere, Michelin-men types as the 90s transitioned into the 2000s, no doubt, but when you watch some '80s games, you realize that a lot of guys who were goalies back then simply weren't terribly good.  Goalies are better overall now.   

Beyond that, it's all about what one chooses to emphasize as to why you'd pick one over the other...Hasek's absurd puck-stopping skills, Roy's ability to play AND flourish in the stifling fishbowl that is Montreal for as long as he did, Brodeur's insane ability to start 70+ games year after year after year, be consistent, and be the best pure puck-handling goalie the game has ever seen. 

• Like 1

Well said, agree with this.

In one game?  I'd take Roy for sure, but to build a franchise I'd take Marty.

Well said, agree with this.

In one game?  I'd take Roy for sure, but to build a franchise I'd take Marty.

What's also great about the three of them is that they were all so DIFFERENT in their approaches (butterfly guy, hybrid puckhandler, and stop-the-puck any way possible), but they all had success.  And they each stood out in their own way...even their personalities were so diverse.  The goalies now, even the good ones, seem to all be so blah...almost faceless...there's nothing about them that stand out, and it seems like when a current goalie DOES get noticed, it's not for the best of reasons (Luongo, Bryzgalov).  So many butterfly-types these days, with some being better at it than others.  The Big Three will be remembered throughout the league for years and years.  Guys like Lundqvist, terrific as they are, seem like they're only going to be remembered mostly by their individual franchises and fanbases...in Lundqvist's case, if he can carry his team to a Cup or two, that could change though.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Eh, Lundquist will be remembered. He's good. He makes some unconventional saves. He's got the whole rock star vibe. I don't root for him, obviously, and I want to punch the Rags fans who spend most of their lives riding his cock, but he's legit.

Eh, Lundquist will be remembered. He's good. He makes some unconventional saves. He's got the whole rock star vibe. I don't root for him, obviously, and I want to punch the Rags fans who spend most of their lives riding his cock, but he's legit.

I agree, Lundqvist is very good, I just don't think he'll be remembered as widely, or on the same level as the Big Three.  I really don't see anyone playing right now that will.  There's something special about those three.

I agree, Lundqvist is very good, I just don't think he'll be remembered as widely, or on the same level as the Big Three.  I really don't see anyone playing right now that will.  There's something special about those three.

If they ever truly regulate equipment, goaltending in general will be much more entertaining and diverse. The pads now are all built to the same butterfly drop-and-let-the-puck-hit-you style. When goalies are forced to move and react like they did, the guys like Roy, Hasek, and Marty really rise to the top. 

• Like 1

Agreed. I'm not sure that's a product of the era, though. Those 3 were just special players. IMO there are a bunch of goalies today who are on the level of CuJo, probably HOF, people who watched them will remember them, but a noticeable step down from the Big Three.