Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon Lester was just scratched from his start tomorrow. Looks like he's going to be moved. 

I doubt Colon gets moved at this deadline, but I'm hopeful that teams like Boston and Philadelphia overplay their hands a bit.  Hopefully Sandy is smart enough to swoop in and say "Here's a pitcher who isn't as good as some other available arms, but we're not asking for nearly as much either.  We'll also pick up a little of his money within reason."   As long as Sandy doesn't treat Colon like he's some major chip, I think there's a slight chance the Mets can deal him before the deadline.

Odd game for Gee...he wasn't quite as bad as his line suggests, but if Edgin had gotten out of that bases-loaded jam, then it'd be about how Gee had gotten a little lucky.  At any rate, I wonder how much time his previously nice run of good results will buy him...if he puts up poor numbers in his next two or three starts, and Colon is still here, and Syndergaard is pitching well for Vegas, do the Mets even consider dropping Gee from the rotation, even if it's only temporary?   

Gee is really a 5 starter coming back down to earth a bit. And he really is bad against the phillies. yesterday was pretty inexcusable, allowing two two out two strike home runs...and then in the 7th hitting Revere, walking Rollins, wild pitch. Guy just couldn't close anything out. Not that we could score a run yesterday either...

If Noah comes up and Colon is still here I'd put Gee in the pen. That or go to a 6 man.

Dilson Herrera was 1-for-3 last night with a walk, homer, stolen base, and a walk-off sac fly. He's now hitting .345/.407/.570 with 6 HR and 7 SB as the youngest player in the AA Eastern League.

Was going to post about that.  He had an 0-for-5 with 3 K day not too long ago, but his rough days at the plate in AA have been very few and far in between.  If he doesn't get a AAA call-up this season (I can see why he won't...there simply might not be room for him up there), I don't see how he's not in Vegas to start next season.  Too early to speculate, but if Murph is still a Met next season and Herrera is tearing up AAA, do the Mets trade Murph to make room for Herrera (even if such a move sets them back temporarily). 

Gee is really a 5 starter coming back down to earth a bit. And he really is bad against the phillies. yesterday was pretty inexcusable, allowing two two out two strike home runs...and then in the 7th hitting Revere, walking Rollins, wild pitch. Guy just couldn't close anything out. Not that we could score a run yesterday either...

If Noah comes up and Colon is still here I'd put Gee in the pen. That or go to a 6 man.

I think Gee was projected as a 4.  Probably about what he is, but it was fun watching him do better while it lasted.  I still think he can pitch better than he has lately, but I'm kind of done with both Niese and Gee...just tired of how delicate they are.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

They're both not very durable, that's clear, but I still like Niese a lot more. Both have pitched roughly the same amount innings over the past calendar year and have had basically the same results (by runs allowed) but Niese's success looks far more real/sustainable:

Past 365 Days

Niese 180 IP, 89 ERA-, 97 FIP-, 96 xFIP-

Gee: 151 IP, 93 ERA-, 114 FIP-, 110 xFIP-

(For all three of these statistics: 100 is exactly league average, below 100 is better than average, above 100 is worse than average)

If Niese can stay healthy the rest of the way and keep pitching decently, I think he'll be a very intriguing trade chip, even with the durability issues. His contract is also very favorable; good luck finding a league average or better starter whose only guaranteed 2/18 with the chance to be 4/37 if all his options are picked up for ages 28-31.

re: Murphy - I still maintain if Sandy can't gets what he wants for him right now, I can't imagine when he ever will. I mean maybe he's thrown into a bigger trade in the winter, but it's hard to see his value being any higher than it is now with the year he's having and the amount of contenders in need of 2B help.

The Giants in particular look very desperate; they've lost 6 straight which has seen them go from 1.5 games up in the West to 3 games behind. Their starting 2B is Dan Uggla, who has already made 3 errors in 4 games after the Braves ate a hefty amount of cash to make him go away. If that doesn't scream desperate enough, perhaps this will: they're bringing up stiffs like Travis Ishikawa and Juan Perez to "restart" their offense. Sandy has already swindled Sabean once with the Wheeler deal, maybe he can do the same again.

With all that being said, the safe bet is Captain Passive will be passive, maybe trade Colon if the Price/Hamels market doesn't go anywhere.

Edited by nmigliore

Trouble is, aren't the Giants very pitcher heavy in their minor league pipeline. If we deal murhph...I don't think they match up well with us. We want a young bad coming up that's going to be very close to major league ready.

I agree, Niese's contract is pretty reasonable, even for a guy who's almost guaranteed to miss starts every year...yeah, basically hope he pitches well and stays healthy and find someone who likes the fact that he's on a pretty good deal. 

Re:  Murph, I don't really know what his value is.  We've been watching him long enough to know what his strengths (gets a lot of base hits and doubles, hard worker/overachiever) and weaknesses (meh fielder, not great at getting on base/drawing BBs, not much power, mental gaffes) are...do other GMs know what Murph really is?    Clearly he'd be a MASSIVE upgrade over what the Giants have now, but are the Giants desperate enough to pry him away? 

'7', you can never have too much pitching, especially with so many holes that need filling.  Sandy (if he's motivated enough) can always turn a surplus of arms in a bat or two...god knows there's always teams looking for arms.  So if the Mets get back even more young pitchers for Murph, so be it. 

Well like I said, the Giants are at least desperate enough to employ Dan Uggla as their 2B. Despite losing 6 in a row they're still very much in the West and Wild Card races (unlike the Reds, who I thought might be a fit for Murph with Phillips hurt a couple weeks ago, but are basically out of it now). Sabean is also a pretty aggressive GM when it comes to mid-season moves.

They're not the only fit -- you could make an easy case for Murphy in Baltimore, Toronto, Oakland, and even the Yankees.

Edited by nmigliore

Uggla was almost free (with good reason), a "what the hell, why not?", Rick Ankiel-type move.  Murph will cost them.  Not sure how wide the gap is between what Sandy thinks he's worth and what Sabean thinks he's worth.   

Well like I said, the Giants are at least desperate enough to employ Dan Uggla as their 2B. Despite losing 6 in a row they're still very much in the West and Wild Card races (unlike the Reds, who I thought might be a fit for Murph with Phillips hurt a couple weeks ago, but are basically out of it now). Sabean is also a pretty aggressive GM when it comes to mid-season moves.

They're not the only fit -- you could make an easy case for Murphy in Baltimore, Toronto, Oakland, and even the Yankees.

Yankees? Really? What do they even have left in that system...maybe a Murphy for inconsequential prospects + cash that we could use in the offseason for a player

I agree, Niese's contract is pretty reasonable, even for a guy who's almost guaranteed to miss starts every year...yeah, basically hope he pitches well and stays healthy and find someone who likes the fact that he's on a pretty good deal. 

Re:  Murph, I don't really know what his value is.  We've been watching him long enough to know what his strengths (gets a lot of base hits and doubles, hard worker/overachiever) and weaknesses (meh fielder, not great at getting on base/drawing BBs, not much power, mental gaffes) are...do other GMs know what Murph really is?    Clearly he'd be a MASSIVE upgrade over what the Giants have now, but are the Giants desperate enough to pry him away? 

'7', you can never have too much pitching, especially with so many holes that need filling.  Sandy (if he's motivated enough) can always turn a surplus of arms in a bat or two...god knows there's always teams looking for arms.  So if the Mets get back even more young pitchers for Murph, so be it. 

I would like to adhere to a grow and keep your pitchers...develop some hitting/buy the rest philosophy. Our pitching can dry up real quick if we deal some of it, only to have Harvey not be Harvey anymore and have Niese/Gee fall victim to their usual ailments. Plus deGrom hasn't proven it long term yet. 

Admittedly I'm a hoarder when it comes to pitching. I just wish the Wilpons had the $$$ where they didn't have to outright sacrifice any of it. 

Yankees? Really? What do they even have left in that system...maybe a Murphy for inconsequential prospects + cash that we could use in the offseason for a player

I wasn't picking teams by strength of farm system but by who is a contender and needs a 2B. The Yankees are starting Brian Roberts who has an 83 OPS+ and has been one of the worst 2B in baseball this season. 

Their system also isn't *that* barren. They have Luis Severino (#34 on BA's midseason top 50), Gary Sanchez, Eric Jagielo, Ian Clarkin, Aaron Judge, Rob Refsnyder.... You could probably forget about Severino and Sanchez but there are enough intriguing pieces there to acquire Murphy.

Edited by nmigliore

I would like to adhere to a grow and keep your pitchers...develop some hitting/buy the rest philosophy. Our pitching can dry up real quick if we deal some of it, only to have Harvey not be Harvey anymore and have Niese/Gee fall victim to their usual ailments. Plus deGrom hasn't proven it long term yet. 

Admittedly I'm a hoarder when it comes to pitching. I just wish the Wilpons had the $$$ where they didn't have to outright sacrifice any of it. 

Rather some of those arms dry up somewhere else.  Minor league pitching prospects are a little like young back-up QBs...there's always a lot of mystique and hope around them, but the fact is a lot of "can't misses" can and do indeed miss. 

Sure, it's great to hoard arms, and I'm all for having as many in the system as possible (who wouldn't be?), but there's only so many spots on your team for them all, and when you're a team like the Mets that clearly has to stop going with scrap-heap and CY and EY-types, something's gotta give...not to mention that the some of the seemingly "untradeable" young pitching won't put it together in the majors, or won't pitch to expectation levels.  Hopefully the Mets guess right...I can't say Sandy fills me up with heaps of confidence.   

I *hate* when a GM refers to pitching prospects as untouchable. Unless you're talking about a truly elite arm I'd be always open to moving them for an established hitter. Pitchers simply bust or get hurt way too often. 

Edited by nmigliore

Looks like Zack might be having one of those days...lots of pitches, but wiggled his way out of a bases-loaded, one-out jam.  Always nice when the pitcher comes up to bat in those spots. 

I *hate* when a GM refers to pitching prospects as untouchable. Unless you're talking about a truly elite arm I'd be always open to moving them for an established hitter. Pitchers simply bust or get hurt way too often. 

That does happen a lot.  Or they have two or three good seasons, then quickly fade (but live off what they accomplished early on for longer than they should). 

I wonder how long Wheeler can keep up this houdini act

My prediction with Wright is that he goes in for shoulder surgery as soon as the season ends. Something just isn't right with him. He can't possibly be this bad at 31.

I wonder how long Wheeler can keep up this houdini act

My prediction with Wright is that he goes in for shoulder surgery as soon as the season ends. Something just isn't right with him. He can't possibly be this bad at 31.

Yeah, Wright is having a pretty weak year, even if some of the numbers look OK at a quick glance. 

Amazing...Wheeler has basically turned in about the same outing 6 games in a row.  Impressive that he was able to do it again, considering the start he got off to.

Lagares is suddenly 6 for his last 10.  Good for him. 

Ugh. Now here's moron terry again. Starting Wheeler in an inning with 99 pitches

HR Rollins of course

When will he learn. How often does he need to see this happen?

112 pitches. You sure you don't want to see him hit 120 today Terry? Maybe try for 125?

Edited by '7'

Zack has averaged 110 pitches in his last five games.  Yeah, there's a part of me that would've liked to have seen Terry say "Thanks for the good 6 IP Zack, take a seat", but I won't kill TC today.  I still maintain he's an amateur who won't get another MLB managerial job after this one.