CAR @ NJ 7PM

RunninWithTheDevil

That was a sham sellout, but if they want to count 'donations' as tickets sold well good for them, but there's no way there was even going to be 14,000 in the building if they didn't have the food giveaway vouchers.

It was also the free game for STH's.  I could have gone tonight, but didn't.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Devils shouldn't lose when they score 3 goals. They should AT LEAST come away with a point

Everybody knew this was a Schneider game, that Brodeur has played too much and was due for a bad one. Everybody except DeBoer, who is totally to blame for this loss

That was a sham sellout, but if they want to count 'donations' as tickets sold well good for them, but there's no way there was even going to be 14,000 in the building if they didn't have the food giveaway vouchers.

You're right, it was a sham sellout. I like to think that we'd get over 14k anyway though with the kiddies home from college and a holiday tomorrow...but who knows at this point

But the people were in the buildings, they were buying food, drinks, and merchandise. Bring on the sham sellouts.

You're right, it was a sham sellout. I like to think that we'd get over 14k anyway though with the kiddies home from college and a holiday tomorrow...but who knows at this point

But the people were in the buildings, they were buying food, drinks, and merchandise. Bring on the sham sellouts.

The funniest comment was when I sat down in my section 13 seat for the night, the group of guys who were all in the row had to move back (evidently they were sitting a row down with their friend on the aisle) and one of them made a crack it was the first time they'd been kicked out of those seats all year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Devils shouldn't lose when they score 3 goals. They should AT LEAST come away with a point

Everybody knew this was a Schneider game, that Brodeur has played too much and was due for a bad one. Everybody except DeBoer, who is totally to blame for this loss

Deboer is the one who decided to start Brodeur tonight.

This.  As I've been saying, concessions is where they make their real money.  These sham sellouts can expose non fans to the Devils.  It enables a STH to bring a buddy to the game for free basically while only playing for a ticket assuming said STH'er is like me where I only have one seat.  In the process, concessions sales also go up.  It's the money that goes into the arena that really matters, and not so much the money that goes to the team if that makes any sense.

The funniest comment was when I sat down in my section 13 seat for the night, the group of guys who were all in the row moved back (evidently they were sitting with their friend on the aisle) and one of them made a crack it was the first time they'd been kicked out of those seats all year.

Since you were there, did the building actually look full?

This.  As I've been saying, concessions is where they make their real money.  These sham sellouts can expose non fans to the Devils.  It enables a STH to bring a buddy to the game for free basically while only playing for a ticket assuming said STH'er is like me where I only have one seat.  In the process, concessions sales also go up.  It's the money that goes into the arena that really matters, and not so much the money that goes to the team if that makes any sense.

Since you were there, did the building actually look full?

Pretty much...I'd say there were legitimately 16000 plus bodies there.

I don't really care if they want to have discounts but at least call a spade a spade.  Don't send out this inane letter to sth's about how they're 'protecting their investment' by not offering discounts, then turn around and offer freebees to at least four different games.  Discounts devalue the product but outright freebees don't?!  I'd RATHER they discount than just have giveaways.  But if they're going to have giveaways I might as well take advantage of them too.  At least I got a good seat out of it (I'd already sold my seats beforehand, I wasn't going to come to this game until I was forced to miss Monday night).

Pretty much...I'd say there were legitimately 16000 plus bodies there.

I don't really care if they want to have discounts but at least call a spade a spade.  Don't send out this inane letter to sth's about how they're 'protecting their investment' by not offering discounts, then turn around and offer freebees to at least four different games.  Discounts devalue the product but outright freebees don't?!  I'd RATHER they discount than just have giveaways.  But if they're going to have giveaways I might as well take advantage of them too.  At least I got a good seat out of it (I'd already sold my seats beforehand, I wasn't going to come to this game until I was forced to miss Monday night).

Yea I agree.  I think discounts and great deals is only a temporary solution.  There are more reasonable ways to get fans to pack the house every game.  The letter they sent out doesn't fly with me because the Devils aren't in a situation where they have to have a waiting list for STH's.  The STH base is obviously very important.  But you can't convert the casual fans into STH's by pricing them out of the arena.

BTW, did they do the Devils Dance Party tonight?

No dance party, guess this time they did get rid of it after all.  Or they decided to only do it when we're leading in a game, might be a long wait till the next time that happens at this rate.

Not that I'm overly attached to the Dance Party, I do think it's sad they got rid of it.  A lot of fans loved it.

Edited by Mike Brown

Had to listen to this one on the radio on the drive up to jersey... What's the deal with Matt Laughlin? Is he considered a good radio pbp guy? I had a real hard time understanding what was going on then all of a sudden I hear "shot score!"

I know hockey is tough to call on the radio but there were several times I didn't even know if the puck was in play or if it was a stoppage.

What upsets me more then his fear of Brodeur is his Janssen love. It goes to show that Pete still doesn't learn from his mistakes. Especially the same mistake he made in 2011-12 when the removal of Janssen from the lineup helped the 4th line actually become, you know, a line. Without that line, they don't make the run to the Finals and they most certainly don't do it with that ECHL sideshow act. Gionta is another story. It was great story in 2012, but every coach has a pet and now it's just keeping a player around past his expiration date.

To hear Lou praise Janssen or even think he belongs here is just as bad, or worse, considering he's the GM.

These are questions TG should be asking because there's no way this kind of crap goes unnoticed by the media in a market that actually cares.

you are more obsessed with Janssen than Pete is... Do you really think him in the lineup over Brunner made the difference in this game?

Hockey on the radio is a real challenge but Loughlin is genuinely bad at it.  He's been doing it for years and he still isn't very good.

As for the game, Brodeur can't give up that first one.  Devils didn't play particularly well but they were even on chances, Carolina got a break and the Devils didn't.  They should be getting at least 1 point out of every game they score 3 goals in, but with goaltending like that, it's going to be a challenge.

you are more obsessed with Janssen than Pete is... Do you really think him in the lineup over Brunner made the difference in this game?

It's about dressing a player who doesn't put your team a man down. Janssen belongs no where near the NHL and Pete still hasn't learned from the last time. For Janssen to be here for the reason that he is (according to Lou), speaks volumes about this team.

Everyone said Jagr couldn't skate. Sykora is still playing. Point is this team blows and cant score outside of 1-2 players.

Where is Sykora playing? Last I saw, he was slowing down big at the end of 2011-12, every team in the NHL turned him down and he got about 35 games in the Swiss League last season. The team can't score, but adding a spent player to the roster isn't going to do much but add to the list of people who need to be set up and aren't performing. 

Where is Sykora playing? Last I saw, he was slowing down big at the end of 2011-12, every team in the NHL turned him down and he got about 35 games in the Swiss League last season. The team can't score, but adding a spent player to the roster isn't going to do much but add to the list of people who need to be set up and aren't performing. 

Going from EliteProspects, our Petr Sykora played 5 regular season games and 4 playoff games with Bern in the Swiss League last year and is no longer playing anywhere this season. I guess he's unofficially retired. It's a shame, when he returned to the Devils he was producing but fell off drastically at the end of the season and into the playoffs.

The other Petr Sykora played 32 games regular season games and 7 playoff games with Davos in the Swiss League last year. This year he's playing with HC Pardubice in the Czech league thru 24 games.

That's not to mention the other 2 Petr Sykora's also on EliteProspects, common name I suppose. :P

This is quite frustrating really.

We are getting good scoring support from the D this year. So far the Defense has 43 points , they only managed 63 all of last season. The forwards havent been scoring, and when they do we never seem to get the goaltending.

All just signs of a really average team.

The positives we have are that the young guys at he back are getting experience at the top level and we will still probably be in the hunt for the playoffs due to the mediocraty of the remainder of the Division.