The Movies thread!

CRASHER

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to see ZombieLand on Friday B )

Also saw Surrogates last night... what an average movie....it was predictable, but they had one twist in there I shoulda seen coming but didn't, wasn't very sci-fi... but the characters were blah...the end scene was WAY COOL though

but this movie was average enough that it should been with the rest of the sub-par summer movies....

and FYI... Zombieland... it DELIVERED!!!

mindless zombie killing...yeah... likable cast... oh yeah... comedy??? OH HELL YEAH!!!!

Feasible enough plot with enough twists to keep you guessing and laughing... it had that too!!!!

Good damn movie I will buy on DVD!!!!

Opening This Week (Nationwide)

Couples Retreat - Vince Vaughn, Kristen Bell, John Favreau and Jason Bateman star in this romantic comedy about a group of couples who take a trip to an exotic couples resort with wacky and heartfelt consequences. While the premise seems to have promise, early reviews have been rancid, giving me an even better excuse to skip this one. If your significant other says,

Finally saw Zombieland!....Amazing!!! Cross between Shaun of the Dead and Max Brook's book Zombie Survival guide....the cameo appearance was hilarious and I'm not even a big fan of the guy...

Anyway, I'll probably be taking my son to see Where the Wild Things Are on Saturday so hopefully it lives up to the hype....

I know this thread has been mainly for theatrical release movies but I just caught Charlie Bartlett on Showtime and I have to say that Anton Yelchin is going to be one hell of an actor...for those of you (probably most) he was most recently played Kyle Reese in Terminator Salvation and Chekov in the new Star Trek....the kid is hilarious and can change his accent in a flash...the monologue scene made me laugh out loud...

Zombieland was a major surprise for me. Really really enjoyed it. Great cast. Jessie Eisenberg is like a clone of Michael Cera. I'm with UD...loved the cameo even though I'm not a big fan myself.

I was thinking the same thing about Eisenberg but apparently he's been doing that schtick for years, all the way back in high school play days according to someone who saw him in them. Then I wasn't as annoyed at what I thought was a rip off of someone elses gimmick, it seems they probably both were similar before either knew the other existed.

I know this thread has been mainly for theatrical release movies but I just caught Charlie Bartlett on Showtime and I have to say that Anton Yelchin is going to be one hell of an actor...for those of you (probably most) he was most recently played Kyle Reese in Terminator Salvation and Chekov in the new Star Trek....the kid is hilarious and can change his accent in a flash...the monologue scene made me laugh out loud...

It funny, I didn't remember Charlie Bartlett when you mentioned it but looking it up jarred my memory. Glad to hear it was good although I remember it looking like a newer Ferris Buller which didn't peak my interest.

While I still haven't seen Star Trek (waiting for Blue Ray), he was pretty good in T4. If you're a fan of Yelchin, he's also in New York, I Love You, which opened this week.

As for the thread, it's intended for any and all movies...hell, we spent a week discussing American Pyscho!

While we're on the subject, I recently watched three movies:

Wit - A 2001 HBO movie directed by Mike Nichols starring Emma Thompson where she plays a literary scholar dying of ovarian cancer. Adapted from the play of the same name, Thompson is brilliant as the cancer patient, expertly leading you into the character without too much sap. Being the character is a scholar, she's very matter of fact about her disease which eases you into the emotional parts of the film much easier than if were a "Lifetime movie" type film. Sad but very interesting watch!

Jesus Camp - Documentary about a Bible camp for kids where evangelicals teach children to be "extremist Christians". The trailer suggests that they are training an "army for God", but the reality of the film isn't really that intense...sure the motives and techniques are a touch extreme, but in the end it's kids at a camp crying and speaking in tounges. Considering the filmmakers just make the same argument over and over again, you get a documentary thats a better trailer than it is a film.

The Bourne Ultimatum - Not much I can say about this movie other than it's the best of an already excellent series. Delivered on every level. I was going to do a full review but work has been brutal and, let's be honest, most of the civilized world has seen this already...feel free to discuss though!

Yeah, I didn't realize he was in it until after I started watching, he definitely played a good part. He's pretty much believable in any role he takes part in. On second viewing though, I have to say that Anton really makes the movie. And the Ferris quality was lost on the wife, she isn't a big fan of that movie but loved Charlie Bartlett. He does have a more loser to winner quality about him.

Three movies I saw in the cinema yesterday:

North by Northwest: I was absolutely stunned to discover that one of my top 10 movies of all time was playing at my favorite theatre. Although I saw it about ten times already, I still enjoyed seeing it on the big screen, despite (or maybe, because of) the bad quality of the film.

District 9: As I am probably the last person in the world to see it, I had to deal with high expectations. Since its opening I had been exposed to all the great reviews and hype surrounding District 9. But for once, I was not let down. Although District 9 is not the masterpiece many claim it to be, it turned out to be a great action movie in a year where nearly all blockbusters were disappointments.

The action sequences are absolutely stunning. It has been a long time since I was so impressed by special effects. What's even more amazing is that it was made for only 30 million dollar. Michael Bay's storyboards cost more than that. All credits thus to director Neill Blomkamp. It is quite scary to imagine what he could do with a bigger budget (maybe he can finally do his Halo-adaptation).

However, the movie has some flaws. With the exception of Sharlto Copley (Wikus), the acting was pretty bad and sometimes even laughable. Also the stylistic choice didn't work for me. I don't mind the documentary-approach, but it was really weird to see it being dropped after half an hour, only to be reintroduced periodically throughout the remainder of the movie. The political message of District 9 also is not so subtle, but then again... who cares when a movie is this exciting and fun?

Up: I just love Pixar movies. This one is no different. The first 10 minutes are absolutely brilliant, easily the best sequence ever in a Pixar movie. The rest of the movie is not quite so good of course, but I still enjoyed the beautiful animation, subtle jokes and fun action sequences.

Edited by Atterr

While I love Hitchcock, North by Northwest has unfortunately flown under my radar. It's been on my Netflix list for months now and I've been dying to see it. As of right now, my favorite Hitchcock films would have to be a toss up between Dial M for Murder and Vertigo, with Rear Window coming in at a close second.

You also make interesting points when it comes to D9, Atterr. I'm going to have to watch it again, but I don't remember the supporting cast being all that bad. When I first saw D9, I got so swept up in the whole thing, I may have missed some of it's more obvious flaws, but that's just a testament to how good it is. Glad to hear it survived the "over-hyping" for you!

Up was also a huge suprise for me and I totally agree, the first 10 minutes are downright fantastic. Pixar rarely disappoints although I still think nothing will beat Wall-E in the animated feature department.

Law Abiding Citizen - Newly crowned action superstar Gerard Butler and Jamie Fox star in this silly looking tale of revenge involving Butler going after the people responsible for letting the killer of his family go free with a light sentence, all from the comfort of his jail cell. The trailers look like this could be a decent straight to HBO type flick, but early reviews have been rancid. RT has this at a 14% Rotten Rating.

Saw this last weekend.

Just above decent.

Foxx and Butler deliver. Some of the characters (Foxx's assistant Sarah, red-haired assailant) I had trouble thinking of them as believable. The base plot, while solid enough to move the story along, seemed very tacked on. Its like they made Butler and Foxx's chars, decided to make this a cerebral thriller style movie, and made the base point of the movie (attack the corrupt justice system), then had to figure out a $0.99 way to tie them all together.

My one major gripe: I find the prologue to be insulting to my intelligence. They threw the prologue on the beginning of the movie just to make sure we all "got it" when it came to the plot point. It was unnecessary gore, and the movie actually would have been better served with that scene left to our imagination. Sometimes less is more, Hollywood~!

First time through, movie was a solid B to B-. A lot of it is driven by the ways that these people die (inventive as hell). However, replay value is probably a solid F...once you see what he's doing and how he does it (they do reveal how he does it in the movie) you gain a solid appreciation as to the depth of Butler's character's intelligence...and then the movie becomes predictable and you never want to watch it again.

Definitely rent or On-Demand.

While I love Hitchcock, North by Northwest has unfortunately flown under my radar. It's been on my Netflix list for months now and I've been dying to see it. As of right now, my favorite Hitchcock films would have to be a toss up between Dial M for Murder and Vertigo, with Rear Window coming in at a close second.

Oh man, you gotta see North by Northwest. It's a fun ride!