Final Fantasy XIII

thegame346

I've been playing this game off and on again for the last few months and I've got to say I am less then disappointed in it currently. I am still in the beginning of the game and all it seems to be is just move up the map, kill stuff, watch cutscene, move up map, kill stuff, watch cutscene, fight boss, move to next map, rinse, repeat. This game is a major departure from traditional FF's. It is not complex and seems to be aimed at the fvcktard, douche bag, ADHD fvcking FPS style gamers. The story isn't even really that compelling. Please tell me I can expect better as I progress through. Please tell me it gets much beter as I go along. Please tell me I did not waste $42 for this thing.

Haven't played it myself, but as an avid FF fan, I've heard the exact same critisisms of the game from most people, especially when it comes to the story. The most people will say is that it's beautiful to look at but is missing that sense of exploration, much like FF X did. Still, FF X had an amazing story, so I didn't mind the straight ahead vibe of the game. However, if FF XIII is straight forward and lacking story, those are two big strikes against it.

Haven't played it myself, but as an avid FF fan, I've heard the exact same critisisms of the game from most people, especially when it comes to the story. The most people will say is that it's beautiful to look at but is missing that sense of exploration, much like FF X did. Still, FF X had an amazing story, so I didn't mind the straight ahead vibe of the game. However, if FF XIII is straight forward and lacking story, those are two big strikes against it.

I too loved FF X and its story. The sphere grid was pretty revolutionary as well. The linear story and turn based combat did not put me off in the least. In FF XIII I have no control over my party members in combat. The leveling system is extremely linear as well, and the story gets tough to follow with it changing between party members constantly. Great graphics and great sound only take a game so far.

Sorry to tell you this, but the game does not get any better. I too am a huge fan of the series, although the last FF game I ever played was FF9. Since I'm not familiar with FF X like you, FF XIII was radically different for me but I'm not impressed. I really hope they go back to the things that made FF so irresistable in the first place, although probably nothing will ever top FF7 (or even 8).

Edited by Atterr

I started back at the beginning and am now on FF6. Though I only play on rainy weekends, so it will take a very long while to get up to XIII. But yeah, I have read other forums and it seems the consensus opinion that in terms of story and gameplay, Square Enix really blew it with this title.

You liked FF8? I've started it 3 times and got fed up with it all 3 times. Most people disagree with me, but I like 9 best. But the best game ever made was FF Tactics. Too bad they sorta ruined it by dumbing in down for the kiddies on FFT-Advance.

A lot of people will disagree with me as well but I also liked FF X-2. Yeah there was a lot of girl power in the whole thing and it got cheesy but the story was good, and I LOVED the job (dressphere) system.

FF XII hooked me too. The gambit system was out of this world. I loved giving my other party members instructions to follow in case this happens or that happens. Then FF XIII came along and just did nothing new. I am sickened. I payed for it so I'm gunna finish it but if this is all this game has to offer then it will offer no challenge to a veteran RPG gamer like myself.

I'm actually playing through FF XII for the first time right now and it's pretty brilliant, despite the fact the graphics don't quite hold up 10 years later. As for X-2, I completely agree, game, that one was pretty fantastic depsite all the J-Pop going on. Much more challenging than X, X-2 went right back to the exploration that made the series what it is. That, and the story of the feuding factions just made X-2 an underrated treat.

Still, my favorite FF of all time will be FF 6 (American FF 3) for Super Nintendo...simply the best one ever made, although XII is shaping up to be pretty damn close.