Bryzgalov Bought Out

Zubie#8

So are you telling me we CAN buy out Volch AND someone else?

Yes, we could, but I don't think there's really another good candidate outside of Volch. Sal isn't getting bought out and his contract isn't that big or long, same goes for Moose. No sense in wasting an amnesty buy out on him when we can leave it as an option in a trade, no matter how unlikely a situation it would be for Lou to take a player on just to buy him out, the great Trent Hunter aside here. lol.

Volchenkov is easily our best buyout candidate right now. He does fulfill a need for us though. I could see him getting bought out next year if he stinks.

I agree that buying out Moose or Sal would not be a great idea, unless (at least in Moose's case) we get a deal for a better backup and it makes it worthwhile. I don't think trading him is much of an option b/c of his NTC and he was so bad this past season that I cant see anyone biting on trading for him, espc when there are some decent enough goaltenders available UFA.

The only argument I could make for a Moose or Sal NOW, is that outside of them + Volch, there's not many buyout candidates on the team at all. If any 2 would be bought out, it would be 2 of those 3. None of the other guys are even remote candidates. Id not be adverse to using one of them now, simply b/c of this. Who besides those 3 would even be considered?

Edited by ghdi

Volchenkov is easily our best buyout candidate right now. He does fulfill a need for us though. I could see him getting bought out next year if he stinks.

I agree that buying out Moose or Sal would not be a great idea, unless (at least in Moose's case) we get a deal for a better backup and it makes it worthwhile. I don't think trading him is much of an option b/c of his NTC and he was so bad this past season that I cant see anyone biting on trading for him, espc when there are some decent enough goaltenders available UFA.

The only argument I could make for a Moose or Sal NOW, is that outside of them + Volch, there's not many buyout candidates on the team at all. If any 2 would be bought out, it would be 2 of those 3. None of the other guys are even remote candidates. Id not be adverse to using one of them now, simply b/c of this. Who besides those 3 would even be considered?

Pretty much no one. Other than Kovy and Travis, no forward is signed past next year. Volch's 3 more years on his contract is the 3rd longest contract. All the rest of the D is only signed through next year or the year after.

the only reason i'd see the organization buying out a guy is to make room for some really good opportunity coming our way after we have all our guys signed or wtv. for example they kick the tires on a UFA and he'd actually sign here so they'd have to make room for him.

i dont think they'd buy out a guy just to get rid of him if they don't have to 

the only reason i'd see the organization buying out a guy is to make room for some really good opportunity coming our way after we have all our guys signed or wtv. for example they kick the tires on a UFA and he'd actually sign here so they'd have to make room for him.

The last thing we'd need is a UFA defenseman or cap space though. We have plenty of them and plenty of it, respectively. The only way it gets used, imo, is if Anton looks like utter garbage next year and they feel like one of the d prospects will be better than him. It saves the Devils money to buy him out, so that's the best choice all around if you think his replacement will be as good or better than Anton.

The last thing we'd need is a UFA defenseman or cap space though.

I disagree with the latter a bit. We have 24.8 in cap space right now (thats without Josefson's contract) so for the sake of argument lets say Josefson got 800K.

24 million to "play with". I don't think anyone can disagree that the team is more likely to have an internal cap than not, so lets say the internal cap is 60. That makes our available space at this moment, 20.

If we re-sign:

Elias 4-5

Clarkson 4-5

Zidlicky 4-5

Zubrus 2-3

Henrique 1-2

That's 15-20 million all by itself and while I wouldn't bet on all 5 of these guys coming back, the majority (3-4/5) probably will be.

Does anyone want to go into next season with the exact same team we had? I personally don't. We still need to add offense + fill out the remaining roster spots even after these signings as well. This surplus of cap room we have is going to run out very quickly depending on who we re-sign, and could even be more costly if we're UFA shopping.

Its never a bad thing to have more cap room. However, it does completely depend on an internal cap which I think is probably likely. We dont have a lot of space really as we still have quite a few *important* spots to fill since our lower lines are taken care of (as is D). Outside of Kovy and Zajac, we currently have nothing set in stone on offense, altho Henrique and Loktionov are there, its still weak.

Edited by ghdi

The last thing we'd need is a UFA defenseman or cap space though. We have plenty of them and plenty of it, respectively. The only way it gets used, imo, is if Anton looks like utter garbage next year and they feel like one of the d prospects will be better than him. It saves the Devils money to buy him out, so that's the best choice all around if you think his replacement will be as good or better than Anton.

i didnt mean a UFA defenseman. But let's say we re-sign all of our guys that we can and we can get a guy like Horton at 5m (total and absolute random example thrown in there just for the sake of the argument) and that we need 3m of cap space. Lou may conclude that its worth clearing space by buying Volch to get the space for the move and give the chance to one of the kid to join the D cycle.

again thats a pure example of a situation lets not get too caught up in the names thrown in there or anything.

kinda like 2 years ago when Richards was actually considering an offer from MTL and went to sleep on it cause his mind was already set on NY but the offer was so big he had to consider apparently. But Gauthier had to get rid of Gomez in order to make it happen but then Gomez refused to waive his no-trade to go to the Islanders so Gauthier had to call of the deal. Sometimes GMs make offers that they have to deal with after kinda.

Edited by SterioDesign

I disagree with the latter a bit. We have 24.8 in cap space right now (thats without Josefson's contract) so for the sake of argument lets say Josefson got 800K.

24 million to "play with". I don't think anyone can disagree that the team is more likely to have an internal cap than not, so lets say the internal cap is 60. That makes our available space at this moment, 20.

If we re-sign:

Elias 4-5

Clarkson 4-5

Zidlicky 4-5

Zubrus 2-3

Henrique 1-2

That's 15-20 million all by itself and while I wouldn't bet on all 5 of these guys coming back, the majority (3-4/5) probably will be.

Does anyone want to go into next season with the exact same team we had? I personally don't. We still need to add offense + fill out the remaining roster spots even after these signings as well. This surplus of cap room we have is going to run out very quickly depending on who we re-sign, and could even be more costly if we're UFA shopping.

Its never a bad thing to have more cap room. However, it does completely depend on an internal cap which I think is probably likely. We dont have a lot of space really as we still have quite a few *important* spots to fill since our lower lines are taken care of (as is D). Outside of Kovy and Zajac, we currently have nothing set in stone on offense, altho Henrique and Loktionov are there, its still weak.

I have a feeling Zid doesn't come back next season, which would then leave us with significantly more space. Also, if you assert we may be on an internal budget, my point stands, we don't need the cap space.

I don't think we end up seeing us re-sign everyone, so if Zid is let go and we retain everyone else, we should still have like $7-9M in cap space, which would leave more than enough for a FA signing.

I agree.. It's not like we're going to splash all that cap space into some big new signing, we all know that won't happen. Buying out, without a really strong or dire reason for our cap or roster situation, sends the wrong message to the players. I think one of the strong attributes of our roster right now is how good the locker room is. I can't imagine how things are in New York or Philly, where everyone's afraid of a humiliating buyout or being part of the next big-headline trade...

Edited by DJ Eco

I have a feeling Zid doesn't come back next season, which would then leave us with significantly more space. Also, if you assert we may be on an internal budget, my point stands, we don't need the cap space.

I don't think we end up seeing us re-sign everyone, so if Zid is let go and we retain everyone else, we should still have like $7-9M in cap space, which would leave more than enough for a FA signing.

Your "feeling" doesn't mean sh!t. The fact remains that the Devils do not have a defenseman that does what he can. I'm not at all prepared to say Zidlicky is staying or going until one of the two has occurred. If I was betting, I'd be more apt to bet that he stays.

If he does stay, he's almost assuredly going to get high 4-5 based on the deals Gonchar & Streit received. He's got the most points of any defenseman left on the UFA market and we all know how important the position he plays is. The Devils have no replacement for him nor is there anyone on the market that is capable. If anything, I'm more prepared to bet on Clarkson leaving than Zidlicky and if that happens we have to go shopping, likely spending even more money depending on the target. Clarkson is easier to replace than Zidlicky this year. Zubrus is rumored to be getting 3 as of today. 

Again, if the majority of our players are re-signed and there is an internal cap, neither of which are far fetched possibilities, this surplus of cap space you speak about will be largely gone and will handcuff us in certain respects. The point of all this is, is that more cap space is not a bad thing to have.

Edited by ghdi

Your "feeling" doesn't mean sh!t. The fact remains that the Devils do not have a defenseman that does what he can. I'm not at all prepared to say Zidlicky is staying or going until one of the two has occurred. If I was betting, I'd be more apt to bet that he stays.

If he does stay, he's almost assuredly going to get high 4-5 based on the deals Gonchar & Streit received. He's got the most points of any defenseman left on the UFA market and we all know how important the position he plays is. The Devils have no replacement for him nor is there anyone on the market that is capable. If anything, I'm more prepared to bet on Clarkson leaving than Zidlicky and if that happens we have to go shopping, likely spending even more money depending on the target. Clarkson is easier to replace than Zidlicky this year. Zubrus is rumored to be getting 3 as of today. 

Again, if the majority of our players are re-signed and there is an internal cap, neither of which are far fetched possibilities, this surplus of cap space you speak about will be largely gone and will handcuff us in certain respects. The point of all this is, is that more cap space is not a bad thing to have.

There would still be plenty of cap space even if we have an internal cap, our internal cap has nothing to do with the salary cap, so you're making a counterpoint to something I never even brought up.

i didnt mean a UFA defenseman. But let's say we re-sign all of our guys that we can and we can get a guy like Horton at 5m (total and absolute random example thrown in there just for the sake of the argument) and that we need 3m of cap space. Lou may conclude that its worth clearing space by buying Volch to get the space for the move and give the chance to one of the kid to join the D cycle.

again thats a pure example of a situation lets not get too caught up in the names thrown in there or anything.

kinda like 2 years ago when Richards was actually considering an offer from MTL and went to sleep on it cause his mind was already set on NY but the offer was so big he had to consider apparently. But Gauthier had to get rid of Gomez in order to make it happen but then Gomez refused to waive his no-trade to go to the Islanders so Gauthier had to call of the deal. Sometimes GMs make offers that they have to deal with after kinda.

I think, and i might be wrong, but i think the buyout period ends before free agency, in which case they'd have to buy the player out now and hope for the best.

Apparently his agent went on a radio station in Edmonton and absolutely ripped the Flyers organization apart.

I mean, it's what you'd expect him to say after this whole ordeal, but it's still pretty hilarious watching this soap opera unfold.

Stealing from hfboards:

Quote:
Winter uses the word "deception" to describe Holmgren telling him initially that Bryzgalov would not be bought out.
Quote:
Winter on Bryz making $40-million for two years of play in Philly: "Thank you very much, I'll move on."
Quote:
Wow. Winter ANNIHILATES system in Philly. Says it's brutal for goalies. No clear lanes, can't see the puck, goalie coach no authority etc.
Quote:
Winter: "There's more wrong with Philadelphia's goaltending than just the goaltending."

:e-drama:

Edited by Devilsfan118