Niclas Havelid traded to Devils

Xunolix

Overall its a good move. As has been said before its wonderful asset management. Salmela was not going to make the team full time and very well could have bolted after this year. Lou gets a guy to slot into the number 5 slot next to Salvador for what could be the best 3rd pair out there going into the playoffs. It also gives sutter all sorts of options with his pairings if he feels the need to give Martin more physical support.

You will see Greene take the number 7 role, pushing Leech down to the number 8. Lou wanted to have some experience all the way through the defensive roster, and probably wasnt all that comfortable with his only extra d man having less that 30 nhl games experience, none in the playoffs. He now has a guy that can step in as a puck mover and on the physical side if need be. He is done with the defense.

Trades that may still come...

Well the goalie situation is unresolved still.

While i doubt there are any moves made for a forward, there maybe a move for another depth guy, going into the playoffs will only 1 extra isnt great. The only guy in Lowell who has seen more than spot NHL time is Bergfors, and that is still less than 10 games worth. Someone like Tallackson or Davis who are suited for 4th line Duty wont be trusted with it. Just gotta shore up the nhl ready depth for a stretch run.

Edit: i Forgot Rod Pelley, who may be brought up once the rosters expand as that last extra forward, while he doesn't have much upside, he has enough NHL games to know what is going on and doesn't cost an asset.

Edited by Sarge18

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh. he's +20 and has 8 minor penalties this year. i understand that his skillset overall is underwhelming, but he's done a pretty damn good job out there.

That's why it's tough, he does a good job out there and he's a great value. I dunno, maybe this gets Oduya off PK and onto the PP, which would help with the puck-moving D department a bit. The two things that bother me with this team re: winning the Cup are point play/QB on the PP, which is doing much better statistically, but still looks iffy, and the lack of a second top end D. Granted, that's a luxury.

I saw this move happening and mentioned it a few weeks back. It just seemed like getting a + guy on an awful Thrashers team was the right move and a move Lou wanted to make to upgrade the 6th spot.

Salmela is going to enjoy Atlanta. There is a system where he can probably do whatever he wants. Time will tell if we lost a good one.

quoting is screwing up for me:

triumph hit it on the head - the devils are done on defense as far as adding. i think if lou can get a 3rd for andy greene, he does it. i think he'll also get whatever he can for either one of the goalies.

re: salvador being dealt (he's got a NTC). he's been too good and even him for pronger doesn't make much sense. then again, i'd deal white but that's also not happening.

lou could still land a forward, but if he did, it would be with an eye on next year as well (see my idea of hejduk).

Here's the thing about Salmela...Oduya learned how to play defense here, why couldn't Anssi?

I think the difference is that Havelid has already learned to play defense, and him over Salmela or Greene is an immediate upgrade for the playoffs. I'm glad we got a pretty solid defenseman without giving up too much. I mean, I'll still be watching everything very closely for the next two days, as I feel like we're not done. But we still have chips, since Salmela wasn't solidly making our lineup.

But Havelid is a definite upgrade, and I like this move in general. With the free agent market, it'll be nice to have an open roster spot come July for either a souped-up Greene (doubt it) or a free agent pickup.

Bicker back and forth all you will; the statement made today is pretty easy to understand:

The New Jersey Devils organization is better w/ Niclas Havelid than it is with Anssi Salmela.

I think this was a great trade because we get something for something we weren't going to use. I say that we weren't going to use salmella because if after all he one on one training they have given him with the likes of Jaques Lapperier, Scott Stevens, and Larry Robinson he hasn't gotten too the level of skill the Devils want him to be at he won't ever get there. This trade proves that.

greene's been making solid plays lately, i don't have a problem with him as a 7th guy in the playoffs.

i agree, if robinson was working with salmela perhaps he made the decision that he was not going to develop with the devils.

salmela was absolutely horrific the last game...looked really lost in defensive zone.

Solid trade for NJ. Havelid has big game experience with both the Ducks in 03' and Sweden in the Olympics in 2006. That is what Lou cares about. He will do very well as a 4-6 dman and is another spoke in the wehhel. I have a feeling Lou is done.

I don't see the sense of trading Greener now. He's fine as the number 7 if Havelid/Martin/Oduya go down, and Leach is fine if Sal/White/Mottau go down. I like our defense right now. I said yesterday I'd be fine with a 3/4 guy (I wanted a 1/2 originally as the season went on), but I didn't think the Devils should have to give up assets/chemistry up front to do so. Lou did the best he could here. Our forwards are pretty damn good as is. I'm not sure what else you could add to them without giving up something valuable, which this isn't hte year to do.

EDIT: Pando/Rupp are good 13th forwards, I wouldn't be opposing as to adding another depth forward to scratch..but would that affect roster spots?

Who knows what happens from here on out, but if this is the roster going forward I'm perfectly comfortable expecting at the very least a trip to the eastern conference finals. For the first time since 2003, I think this team's gotta real shot at it.

The qustion does this change the pairings around other than Greene out/Havelid in.

Martin/Oduya

Salvador/Havelid

White-Mottau

or something like

Sal-Martin

White-Oduya

Havelid-Mottau

Edited by HellOnICE

I think Marty is going to like having Havelid play in front of him.

Very goalie-friendly defenseman, who is smart and doesnt make many mistakes, sound positionally.

Hes become an even better defenseman since playing with the Ducks which is impressive considering how good he was there. He didnt get much attention because the Thrashers are terrible. Plus-defenseman playing on an awful team, hey, he must be doing something right.

I actually wouldnt be stunned to see Lou maybe make another move, but considering whats out there, I doubt it. No front line center is available, which are the guys Lou has coveted for a couple yrs.

Zubes is money come playoffs. Havelid, a good solid pickup who will, most likely, re-sign with the team.

Agreed, Zubrus was one of a very few players that looked good last year in the playoffs. The last 2 games he's looked much better, he could have had a hat trick Saturday if he could just finish around the net.

I don't see the sense of trading Greener now. He's fine as the number 7 if Havelid/Martin/Oduya go down, and Leach is fine if Sal/White/Mottau go down. I like our defense right now. I said yesterday I'd be fine with a 3/4 guy (I wanted a 1/2 originally as the season went on), but I didn't think the Devils should have to give up assets/chemistry up front to do so. Lou did the best he could here. Our forwards are pretty damn good as is. I'm not sure what else you could add to them without giving up something valuable, which this isn't hte year to do.

EDIT: Pando/Rupp are good 13th forwards, I wouldn't be opposing as to adding another depth forward to scratch..but would that affect roster spots?

Who knows what happens from here on out, but if this is the roster going forward I'm perfectly comfortable expecting at the very least a trip to the eastern conference finals. For the first time since 2003, I think this team's gotta real shot at it.

The qustion does this change the pairings around other than Greene out/Havelid in.

Martin/Oduya

Salvador/Havelid

White-Mottau

or something like

Sal-Martin

White-Oduya

Havelid-Mottau

Considering the way our D has played, I expect the pairings to remain the same pretty much:

Oduya-Martin

White-Mottau

Salvador-Havelid

(Greene, Leach scratched)

Zubes is money come playoffs.

Lucky for him he's got the luxury of being on a team that can carry him there. He should be due for another four-goal eruption come April.

He could have had a hat trick Saturday if he could just finish around the net.

We used to say things like this about Tom Chorske.