NY Post / Larry Brooks Article On Marty

DevsMan84

It's a nicely done article for a deserving Devil & NHL icon.  Don't worry, by Wednesday, Brooks will be trashing our organization again.

I really do not see where most Devils think he has a vendetta against the Devils.  I mean he writes similar pieces about the Rangers as well so he gives both teams equal treatment.  It's just that he works for the NY Post so he has to make thing more sensational than they have to be.  However, if anyone at the Post has a seeming vendetta against the Devils it's Kosman.

Hell Brooks used to work as the VP of Public Relations for the Devils for the first 10 years.  I doubt he can harbor that many hard feelings against the Devils unless he was possibly let go.

I could only imagine if Neverson had written it:

The year was 1994.  Tears streamed down the defeated and demoralized face of one impossibly young Martin Brodeur, who lay on the ice after having just given up Stephane Matteau's series-clinching, double-overtime wraparound goal in Game 7, the Eastern Conference Finals lost, the Stanley Cup to be won by Mark Messier's Rangers two weeks later.  Perhaps still fresh in Brodeur's mind was also the Game 6 Guarantee, that saw Messier score not one, not twice, but THREE times to wrestle control of the series away from the Devils, who had taken a 2-0 lead in that pivotal Game 6, only to see Mark Messier and his merry men steal the dream, and carry that momentum all the way to Messier triumphantly thrusting the 1994 Stanley Cup - hockey's greatest prize - over his head on Garden ice. 

Brodeur did some good stuff after Mark Messier and the Rangers won the 1994 Stanley Cup, like playing more games and winning more games than any other goalie, breaking records, winning three Cups and getting to two other Finals, so maybe you should check him out while you can.  But just like, for all of his greatness and accomplishments, he will still be haunted by Games 6 and 7, Mark Messier, and the 1994 Stanley Cup Champion New York Rangers, you should not forget either.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

The year was 1994.  Tears streamed down the defeated and demoralized face of one impossibly young Martin Brodeur, who lay on the ice after having just given up Stephane Matteau's series-clinching, double-overtime wraparound goal in Game 7, the Eastern Conference Finals lost, the Stanley Cup to be won by Mark Messier's Rangers two weeks later.  Perhaps still fresh in Brodeur's mind was also the Game 6 Guarantee, that saw Messier score not one, not twice, but THREE times to wrestle control of the series away from the Devils, who had taken a 2-0 lead in that pivotal Game 6, only to see Mark Messier and his merry men steal the dream, and carry that momentum all the way to Messier triumphantly thrusting the 1994 Stanley Cup - hockey's greatest prize - over his head on Garden ice. 

Brodeur's did some good stuff after Mark Messier and the Rangers won the 1994 Stanley Cup, like playing more games and winning more games than any other goalie, breaking records, winning three Cups and getting to two other Finals, so maybe you should check him out while you can.  But just like, for all of his greatness and accomplishments, he will still haunted by Games 6 and 7, Mark Messier, and the 1994 Stanley Cup Champion New York Rangers, you should not forget either.

That sounds like that could have been written by any Rags fan in the world given their view of events of the past 20 years.

Brodeur did some good stuff after Mark Messier and the Rangers won the 1994 Stanley Cup, like playing more games and winning more games than any other goalie, breaking records, winning three Cups and getting to two other Finals, so maybe you should check him out while you can.  But just like, for all of his greatness and accomplishments, he will still be haunted by Games 6 and 7, Mark Messier, and the 1994 Stanley Cup Champion New York Rangers, you should not forget either.

Is Mark there with you, right now???

Is Mark there with you, right now???

That brings up another good point.  Some of the Rags beat writers and just about 100% of their fans still think that the Devils and their fans are still haunted by 1994.  While it certainly was one of the top 3 darkest days of the franchise that I can remember, I have gotten over it a while (actually 3 times over;))

It just still boggles my mind at the sheer stupidity of that entire fanbase to really believe their own fantastical garbage that they have been spewing now for the past 20 years.  To them 1 of our cups is not valid because of the lockout (you only won 1/2 cup!), yet I have yet to hear a Rags fan say that about the 2013 Blackhawks.  The other 2 cups are not as meaningful because we didn't go through them to win it (like it really matters).  Just the sheer grasping at straws by them is amazing in itself.

I guess being a "Blueshirt Faithful" involves bashing your head with a brick a dozen times while watching neverending repeats of "Summer of 94" on MSG.

DM84...trying to explain to most Ranger fans that both the Devils and pretty much all of their fans have moved on from '94 a long time ago is almost always a futile effort.  I realized that when most of those dummies insisted that if the Devils didn't win the Cup in '12, then we'd all still be haunted by '94.  They assume that because most of them are still trapped in '94, and that's pretty much all they've got, that everyone else is trapped there with them.  Painful memory?  Sure, but no more than Henrique is for them.  When I started getting into it with them, I made it clear that watching my team win THREE Cups, enjoy a long unbeaten streak against them, and have success in many other ways had long erased the pain from '94.  But logic doesn't get far with the Noo Yawk dummies (Duuuuuuuuuuuuuh, ya know it still hurts, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh), so I pretty much just ignore them now.  Let them find yet another excuse to celebrate '94...I'd rather live in 2013-14. 

Rofl, that pretty much nails it.

We all know MSG will be promoting the 20th year anniversary of the 94 cup win this year. They already show that 94 run to the cup more then anything else.

I think the Knick '94 run gets its fair share of coverage too.  I think there's a show that chronicles BOTH '94 runs IIRC..."Year of the Garden" maybe?  Profitable year for the Garden...four Game 7s (2 each for each team).  

You ever notice how similar Rangers fans look. When I see them in our building, they all look the same! They're all white, stocky, with the really really short hair like they all got a haircut that morning because it's one of their birthdays and they're going to Red Lobster in Times Square after; and I don't mean to sound racist, I mean, statistically most hockey fans are white, but Rangers fans in particular all look the same. Not to insult anybody over here, but the best description is that they have the young 25-30 year old Long Island privileged a-hole cop look. Not an ounce of diversity, none.

Okay I'm done haha..

Edited by DJ Eco

You ever notice how similar Rangers fans look. When I see them in our building, they all look the same! They're all white, stocky, with the really really short hair like they all got a haircut that morning because it's one of their birthdays and they're going to Red Lobster in Times Square after; and I don't mean to sound racist, I mean, statistically most hockey fans are white, but Rangers fans in particular all look the same. Not to insult anybody over here, but the best description is that they have the young 25-30 year old Long Island privileged a-hole cop look. Not an ounce of diversity, none.

Okay I'm done haha..

No you are correct on this.

If anything I think Brooks gets painted by the (N)Єverson brush which is why people thinke he's worse than he actually is (but Larry's more a professional cynic/grump than actual hater)...there's a guy that really looked at the world through a blue prism.

Brooks is a good writer when he doesn't shove his opinion down our throats. Sometimes, he lets his thinking get skewed. I didn't agree with him on Tort. But they also had an intense relationship. One thing I like about Larry is he always goes after the league. He's a player's guy.

Don't forget the goofy Kangol hat.

Okay I'm done haha..