Should Larsson Be Sent Down To AHL?

Quinn01

Adam Larsson is experiencing the grind of a long NHL season, and his recent play seems to be reflecting that.

The 19-year-old rookie defenseman admitted he came back from an injury too soon, and on Sunday he was even benched for just about two full periods.

Last night against Philadelphia, Larsson was unable to clear the puck before the Flyers scored to take a 2-0 lead.

NJ.com user Iron_Mike had this to say in the comments section of the game story:

I really don't want to see Larsson in a playoff game. The excuse all season is that he's young and going to make mistakes - that's fine, let him make mistakes in Albany. This is playoff time and every night he is making a mistake that leads to a goal. The benching was a good idea the other night but obviously not enough. Not saying they lost because of that (there was no offense and battles weren't won vs. the Flyers), but his ice time needs to be limited for now. Would rather see a tired Volchenkov or Salvador out there for a few extra minutes.

A couple others agreed in some form, so we ask you now: How would you handle Larsson for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs? Should he be sent to Albany to play in the AHL? Post your thoughts below in the comments section.

NJ.com Article

It is true he has been recently struggling but I dont know that now would be the best time to send him down. The only option would be to activate Tao for his spot and give him a few games in Albany. I do want to see him in the playoffs for us though. What are your thoughts?

Edited by Quinn01

He is young. He was injured and when he came back the level of hockey had increased because of the playoffs it faster now. So he needs to learn to adjust and that won't happen in the AHL. Who do we have for defensive replacement that isn't also a liability? There are a dozen games for him to get up to speed. If we can play the likes of Janssen and Boulton ( I hope not in the playoffs) we can play Larsson. DeBoer has to reduce some of his time.

I say keep Larsson in but also put in Tao as the 7th defenseman lessen the load for Larsson. Tao can take Janssens or Boulton's place as they are basically useless and double-shift either Parise or Kovy on the 4th line since they are already doing this.

+1

Dress a 7th d-man, have Larsson and Tao split the minutes.

Edited by Devilsfan118

The peculiar scenario is when the playoffs come around...we might have both Tallinder and Zajac back. No room for Taormina or Larsson...not to mention the scrubs.

From the sound of it, Tallinder is as good as gone until next season. Zajac may not play every game as he will still be fresh off an injury that has taken months to heal. Even when he does play he will not be close to 100%.

He is young. He was injured and when he came back the level of hockey had increased because of the playoffs it faster now. So he needs to learn to adjust and that won't happen in the AHL. Who do we have for defensive replacement that isn't also a liability? There are a dozen games for him to get up to speed. If we can play the likes of Janssen and Boulton ( I hope not in the playoffs) we can play Larsson. DeBoer has to reduce some of his time.

This, though his minutes have already dropped off pretty significantly since his injury.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/larssad01/gamelog/2012/

The only games post-injury that DoBo & Co. gave him more than 20 minutes were against the Isles, and I doubt that's a coincidence.

I also like how that game log breaks the season up into 20-game stretches. It lets you see the improvement in his +/- (flawed stat I know, but still). He was a minus in 10 of his first 20 games, 6 of his next 20, and 4 of the last 18.

I trust this coaching staff.

Ha Ha devilsgirlcali wants to sent JJ down too! LOL must be something in the water in Cali.

have larsson sit a game or two up in the box, kid looks slow mentally and physically. if he doesnt respond after a few days off send him down, and tell talinder we NEED HIM

From the sound of it, Tallinder is as good as gone until next season. Zajac may not play every game as he will still be fresh off an injury that has taken months to heal. Even when he does play he will not be close to 100%.

Tallinder is dodgy I know, but I'll take a 20% Zajac over 100% of Boulton or Janssen.

Tallinder is dodgy I know, but I'll take a 20% Zajac over 100% of Boulton or Janssen.

I def agree that 20% Zajac is better than 100% Boulton or Janssen, but I also don't want to see 0% Zajac for next year if he re-injures himself again or something goes wrong. We all know how great a track record the Devils medical staff has in recent years :rolleyes:

I def agree that 20% Zajac is better than 100% Boulton or Janssen, but I also don't want to see 0% Zajac for next year if he re-injures himself again or something goes wrong. We all know how great a track record the Devils medical staff has in recent years :rolleyes:

Zajac's been using his own doctor for this. The Devils medical staff had Josefson back early this season.

Zajac's been using his own doctor for this. The Devils medical staff had Josefson back early this season.

Jury's out on Josefson since he has not performed well statistically. It may or may not be from the injury but I just have to wonder.

They also seemed to do a fine job with Larsson, especially since even Larsson himself said earlier in the week that he might have come back too soon.

Jury's out on Josefson since he has not performed well statistically. It may or may not be from the injury but I just have to wonder.

They also seemed to do a fine job with Larsson, especially since even Larsson himself said earlier in the week that he might have come back too soon.

Jury isn't out on Josefson, he was fine well ahead of time. If the Devils medical staff gets slammed for guys taking longer than expected, then that is the only major injury this year they dealt with and he came back early.

Larsson had a bruise, nobody held Larsson out but Larsson. If he came back early then that's on Larsson. No medical staff is holding a guy out because or soreness or a bruise, a player knows if he can play or not play in those cases. It's been another 10 games and he's still playing crappy, I don't think it was the bruise causing him to play poorly, it was just an excuse.

There's really no point in sending Larsson to the AHL. He's proven he's got what it takes to be in the NHL, and now it's about getting him up to speed and having him adjust to much longer seasons than he is used to. He played 37 games last year and 49 the year prior.

As for Josefson, this is a lost season for him, but I really can't see how you can fault the medical staff with him. You can't throw them under the bus for Zajac (who saw his own doctor) and then try to move that over to Josefsen's situation.

I don't think the AHL helps him. He'll be a man among boys there (regardless of his age). He needs to take his beatings at the NHL level.

If we're going for the cup this year we need to figure out who should be our 6th dman, and Tao may very well be more valuable. That should be what the last couple weeks of the regular season are for.

Not to mention if you say, thanks adam you played good in the regular season now step aside and let the real players play when it matters. Talk about a shot to the kids confidence. It would be a joke if he got sent down now.

And saying Tao played better than you, but you still have the job is an unfair boost to his ego. Look what's going on with Sanchez with the Jets. Not saying you have to play Tao, or shouldn't play Larsson, but prospect development's never that cut and dry.

Ive got no problem sitting the kid a handful of games before the playoffs. But you want your new franchise dman playing playoff games for you. i say rest him half the remaining games.

Youre really gunna rip on someone else when u just said, tell tallinder we need him? Lol yeah Hey Henrik i know that blood clot could get worked up to your heart while youre blood is pumping during the game but we need ya out there buddy. Take one for the team will ya?

LOL Thanks dr. Nick. it goes without saying that the threat of a pulmonary embolism needs to have passed

LOL @ "If we are going for the cup..."

With this team I'd be really surprised - but maybe thats the pessimist in me.

When did Tao ever play as much as Larsson and prove that he could stand up to the pounding that a month of playoffs will yield.

I like the kid, but he's played in an out in stretches with the team - but yet to prove that he could handle the physical wear any better than Adam.