NY Times article on Newark arena

elperro

Madden's quote says it all about Newark.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4016

They won't be missed. I, for one, am a future season ticket holder, waiting for the team to break free from that disaster they play in now. I was at the fan club meeting the day after we clinched the divison and Vanderbeek was the speaker. There are a lot of "old school" fans in the club to say the least and they have been bitching and moaning about Newark as long as it has been in the team's future. He basically shut each and every one of them up that night, which I thought was impossible. He had an answer for everything, and has done his homework on all the pros and cons of the new arena and was very open and honest about it all. I'm not sure where his office is on Broad St. in Newark but he said the door is always open to anyone who wants to drop by and talk to him and check out the full size replica luxury box (which they already have several new committments for from companies that don't have suites in the Meadowlands) or the dozens of different seats they have to choose from for the new arena. He was looking for feedback from the members regarding their favorite "local" food in Jersey because they want to have it represented in the arena, so instead of lousy Aramark food, it could be one of your favorite pizzaria's pies or Jimmy Buff's Italian Hot Dogs. In a few weeks they'll have a virtual view of the inside with views from each seat. This arena is so important for the team's future. Every time somebody buys a beer at a concert, the Devils will make money off that. They don't even make money off that at their home games now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pathetic argument. Look at DC -- put an arena in a rundown part of town, and watch as business flock to provide dinner, drinks and entertainment to the affluent fans coming 41 times a year. And then watch the cops clean that sh!t up like their jobs depended on it -- because they do.

Here are the parts I loathed the most from the column:

Talk to any Devils fan who doesn't go to the games because they're paying out the ass for tickets to a stand-alone stadium that's a decade too old and then paying for parking and tolls on top of that. They're the ones coming on the train.

I stopped reading when we compared a professional hockey arena with a minor league baseball field.

<JESTER>

The train comment shows just how little research he did for this article. You only have to take 2 trains if your train goes to Broad St Station. Most trains that go to Newark go to Penn Station which is a short walk to the arena, so those people would be taking just one train. Also tell all of the people who take the train into the city to see the Yankees and Mets that people won't take two trains. You need to take at least 2 trains (the NJ train and the subway) to get to either of those games and somehow NJ trains are always full with people wearing Mets and Yankees stuff when there is a game.

No place that they put the arena will please everyone, but Newark is probably the best spot all things considered.

As for Madden's comment, that is just not true. The current arena location is only convenient for people who live in the general area. If you don't the commitment to going to 41 games is too difficult to manage. I love the Devils and have the means to afford season tickets but I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting to the Meadowlands. Newark is much more viable for more people to get to 41 times a year. People who have season tickets now may not keep them when the team moves but they will be replaced by fans who now have easy access to the arena.

If anyone doubts that this is the base of Devils fandom and not Bergen county, try this anecdote. On my train home from the game on Saturday, I could count on two hands the amount of people wearing Rangers stuff. I lost count of how many people were wearing Devils stuff because it was too many.

Back when the Newark Arena was a hot topic someone on here did a poll about where people live, Central NJ was the big winner.

Edited by PeteyNice

They won't be missed. I, for one, am a future season ticket holder, waiting for the team to break free from that disaster they play in now. I was at the fan club meeting the day after we clinched the divison and Vanderbeek was the speaker. There are a lot of "old school" fans in the club to say the least and they have been bitching and moaning about Newark as long as it has been in the team's future. He basically shut each and every one of them up that night, which I thought was impossible. He had an answer for everything, and has done his homework on all the pros and cons of the new arena and was very open and honest about it all.

What sort of questions were the 'old school' fans asking and what were his answers?

What sort of questions were the 'old school' fans asking and what were his answers?

Basically they were all the usual fear of Newark questions. Scared they'd have to park 10 blocks away and get mugged or shot on their way to their car or to the game. He said while there will be some parking garages a few blocks away, most would be surrounding the arena, including one that will have a walkway right into the arena. Some lots will be exclusively for parking pass holders, some for the general public, etc...Others were afraid to walk to the Broad Street station after games because it was so far away. They were unaware that there was going to be a light rail to the station and didn't consider they'd be walking with hundreds of other fans if they chose to take the 10 minute walk. Other concerns were if they'd have rights to similar seats in the new arena since they were season ticket holders and he said they would have first choice of seats before anyone else. Other people were worried they'd lose money in their gold circle investment since Newark won't have this, and he said they were going over ways to reimburse members in the new arena. Another question was about ticket prices going up. While he said they'd probably go up, just because they haven't raised them in 6 years, it wouldn't be outrageous and that it would actually be better because there will be more price options, and the cheap seats in Newark will be so much closer to the ice because it's going to be a very steep arena. Everyone will be on top of the action. As it is now, he thinks the price structure in the Meadowlands is rediculous.

I've been to a few meetings in recent years, mostly when Lou or Mike Emerick speaks, and usually the members are ruthless with Lou and never satisfied with his answers, so that's kind of what I was expecting with Vanderbeek. I was shocked that everybody there seemed satisfied with his answers and the slide show presentation on the new arena. He fully expects some people to be unhappy with the change but is trying to win over new fans. He is in discussions with state government to declare the Devils "New Jersey's Team" since they are the only team with NJ in their name. (The Nets are supposed to be leaving). He wants to move Lowell to the Toms River/Ocean County area to make new fans down there because he's sick of seeing Flyers hats when he goes down the shore.

I truly see this arena as being the "new generation" of the Devils. He stated that this will be designed to be the loudest building in the league because of the five tiers and the ceiling. It will be an intimidating building to play in. The visiting team locker room will be at the league minimum standards just to make visitors a little more uncomfortable there, while the Devils locker room and attached training facility (goodbye South Mountain) will be among the very best. They bought the rights to an indoor soccer team which would be huge in that area, and they are looking into indoor lacrosse (cool) and the WNBA (yech). Don't be surprised if the Nets end up there too.

They want to attract a lot more college students from Newark and surrounding schools and are even considering shuttles to and from Seton Hall (their new home arena) and Montclair State for games. I think we're going to see a younger, more energetic crowd at home games and this is exciting to me.

Im excited for the new arena. I just hope we dont actually treat vistitors with that little respect. As an athlete in college, I didn't feel inimtiated when we got stuck in the crap end of visters locker rooms --just offended and thought they were classless.

NJ should intimidate on the ice, not in the lockeroom. Keep the class up.

Thanks for all that info Skeeter! Sounds very interesting. Could not ask for a better owner it seems! :hail:

So it's going to be steep. Nosebleeds will be interesting standing up if it's anything like HSBC Arena.

So there will actually be two rinks there? Like Columbus has?

1. What a pathetic article. Absolutely pathetic. It reads like he just took a sh!t on a piece of paper and submitted it to the ny times.

2. I cant wait for the club to move to Newark. I will go to a lot more games at Newark. All those scared of coming because black people will come out of nowhere and scream "BOO!" at you, can go hide in the basement with their duct tape and cotton balls, cuz we'll have fun without you.

Madden's quote says it all about Newark.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4016

"I don't think a new arena will help," Madden said. "We have a season-ticket dinner every year and, speaking with the people at the table every year, they say if they put the team in Newark, they're not coming to games. Well, great. We've a got a new rink but less fans."

There is a alot question about these "season ticket holders".

He was looking for feedback from the members regarding their favorite "local" food in Jersey because they want to have it represented in the arena, so instead of lousy Aramark food, it could be one of your favorite pizzaria's pies or Jimmy Buff's Italian Hot Dogs. In a few weeks they'll have a virtual view of the inside with views from each seat. This arena is so important for the team's future. Every time somebody buys a beer at a concert, the Devils will make money off that. They don't even make money off that at their home games now.
I'd also like a good New Jersey fast food joint (Newark Style Italian Hot Dogs (Edison), Max's (Long Branch), Windmill (Long Branch), Rutt's Hut (Clifton), Jersey Mike's Subs, Red Chimney (Rt 3), JJ's (truck by Branch Brook Park), or something of the sort) running concessions. Aramark is terrible.

Is it safe to say that Jeff Vanderbeek likes my ideas?

Edited by NewarkDevil5

I truly see this arena as being the "new generation" of the Devils. He stated that this will be designed to be the loudest building in the league because of the five tiers and the ceiling.

I always hated how quiet the CCA is. I think making it the loudest building in the league will make people feel like they are part of something exciting and unique.

This article from a no name hack, doesnt even deserve a response.

Too bad he waited NINE LONG YEARS for his team to make the playoffs only to see them score 1 meaningful goal at home. Sure they made the playoffs, but they still havent won a playoff game in 9 years and counting LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...........

God, I cannot WAIT until I can take the train to a Devils game. I will gladly never drive to another Devils home game again. Never have to pay $10 for parking again, never have to walk friggin miles across other highways to get to and from my car again, never have to deal with Turnpie traffic again.

I grew up and lived my first 28 years in NJ, and I used to be a partial season ticket holder for a good part of Devils history until I moved away. I go to games every so often, but it's a 3-hour drive from Lancaster, PA. When I go, I usually swing by my family in South Brunswick, NJ and pick up others. I cannot wait until I can stay there and take a train up to Newark and see a game.

The Devils fan base is more Central Jersey than it is North Jersey. It may have been North Jersey in the beginning, but it's much more Central Jersey and the Shore now. Newark is so much more convenient to that part of the state.

Heh, good cuz I was just about to start dusting off some of my old maps, graphs and charts :P

Can't wait!

---

This location even makes it easier for me coming from Texas to go to a game. Get on the monorail at EWR, switch to NJ Transit and stop in Newark which is the next or second stop after the airport.

This location even makes it easier for me coming from Texas to go to a game. Get on the monorail at EWR, switch to NJ Transit and stop in Newark which is the next or second stop after the airport.

So we can write Sammy down for 10-15 games the first season in Newark?

I think that if they do the pricing structure well in the new arena it will bring in a much younger crowd. The fans between the ages of 17-24, if they can grab tickets for $10-$15. With the amount of colleges in North Jersey, as well as the amount of high schools within reach of NJ Transit, it will be huge.

When you sit in the cheap seats at a baseball game, there are entire sections of kids that bought the $10 tickets. The Devils could capitalize on this.

I will go to way more games in Newark because I live within walking distance of an NJ Transit station!