New to the Hell

sublicon

Hey everybody. Though I'm a Jersey-bred lad, I'm sort of new to the Devils and hockey in general. I'm a fan of all sports, but soccer (New York Red Bulls) is my main love when the season is going, so hockey has been sort of a logical leap for me given the obvious similarities in the game.

However, it's not an offseason phase . . I'm hooked, saw Devils lose against the Rangers at MSG in October, and also went to the Rock to see the Devils beat the Sabres last week. I'm kind of surprised I didn't get into hockey sooner given I have a lot of friends who are longtime die-hards, but whatever, better late than never!

Anyway, glad to be here and I hope I can learn a little bit more and get a little bit closer to the Devils nation by participating on these boards and interacting with you folks. :)

Edited by sublicon

Hey everybody, the name is Geoff. Though I'm a Jersey-bred lad, I'm sort of new to the Devils and hockey in general. I'm a fan of all sports, but soccer (New York Red Bulls) is my main love when the season is going, so hockey has been sort of a logical leap for me given the obvious similarities in the game.

However, it's not an offseason phase . . I'm hooked, saw Devils lose against the Rangers at MSG in October, and also went to the Rock to see the Devils beat the Sabres last week. I'm kind of surprised I didn't get into hockey sooner given I have a lot of friends who are longtime die-hards, but whatever, better late than never!

Anyway, glad to be here and I hope I can learn a little bit more and get a little bit closer to the Devils nation by participating on these boards and interacting with you folks. :)

Why do Swedish people call it soccer? I've always wondered that

Swede's are pretty smart that way. They side with the more powerful countries. In this case, the USA. :noclue:

Welcome to the board Geoff, I can't stand that spelling, waste of letters IMO. People always ask me "Is that with a "G"?" And I reply "No, I'm not the giraffe." :D

Irish people call it soccer too. It's not the standard, but usually when they are referring to "football" they are referring to "gaelic football" so you'll find a lot of people revert back to the term "soccer", because although "the rest of the world calls it football", the world knows the difference.

And to add, I'm sure everyone understands that "soccer" is not a term created by Americans. It was created by the English to discern between "rugby football" and "association football", the latter of which was shortened to soccer. It clearly didn't stick, but again, wasn't something we came up with.

That said, the soccer/football argument is a tired one.