Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Some kind of Alderson conference call coming up...

Scott Atchison is re-joining the Mets.

Weather is supposed to be rough in Atlanta later, so maybe the Mets are going to push back Wheeler's debut.

Not sure what else the call could be about.

Yea that was basically it. Sandy had a pointless conference call and got everyone's hopes up for nothing. There was a bit of a buzz that a trade might be forthcoming. 

Edited by '7'

Yea that was basically it. Sandy had a pointless conference call and got everyone's hopes up for nothing

In fairness, hopes for what?  Did you think some big move was coming?

I have to admit, I don't want to see Sandy coughing up any pitching just yet.  Unfortunately the names teams are going to ask for are going to be Wheeler, Montero, Snydergaard, etc (I'd say Harvey is clearly an untouchable more than anyone else).  No one's asking for Gee, Hefner, or Marcum, not until going after the other names first.  And Sandy's probably not even going there right now.  Outside of their top guys, who do the Mets have that other teams are willing to give up a good major-leaguer for? 

Clearly the Mets aren't going to be able to keep all of these arms...not if they want to bring in position players via trade, and as previously discussed, the FA market isn't great.  I think the immediate hope is Marcum pitches well enough to become a deadline acquisiton (you're not getting much for him, but it's one less arm to worry about, and he's on an easy contract, so you MIGHT get a little something, especially if he can get hot...maybe an A-ball, mid-tier prospect), then Gee can continue to pitch well enough for the rest of the year to be part of an offseason package, though I can't see him having that much value based on his overall track record.  As we all know, though fans always try to fleece when making trade proposals, you have to give something up to get something back.  If the Mets are thinking big, they're probably going to have say goodbye to a Montero or Snydergaard in a trade (though I think they'll resist).  One of those plus Gee or Hefner for starters (and something else), and maybe you're on the way towards getting a nice young bat in the lineup.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Brewing dilemma for the Mets with Harvey

high pitch count

heading into the 7th

To be honest, if it comes down to it I don't want him throwing over 105. And I don't think he can get through 3 innings on 25 pitches.

Edited by '7'

Brewing dilemma for the Mets with Harvey

high pitch count

heading into the 7th

To be honest, if it comes down to it I don't want him throwing over 105. And I don't think he can get through 3 innings on 25 pitches.

Dilemna over.  That's a good thing. 

I just wish it ended cleanly instead of the typical Mets stupidity! haha

I'm at work, couldn't see it...dare I ask?

I'm at work, couldn't see it...dare I ask?

At work myself but watching with the volume down. Slow roller off the bat of Heyward in no mans land between Duda and Harvey. Harvey fields it runs towards the bag(Heyward a step ahead)....but Duda broke off the bag as well to field the ball (it was Harveys ball IMHO, and he made the play) nobody covering first. Harvey picks up the ball and lobs it to an empty base.

Edited by '7'

Matt Harvey just started the 8th...with 103 pitches. And promptly walks the first batter on 4 pitches

Collins is an idiot and should be fired

and now David Wright boots a grounder. Bad hop, but you have to field it there

edit: wasn't that bad a hop

Edited by '7'

At work myself but watching with the volume down. Slow roller off the bat of Heyward in no mans land between Duda and Harvey. Harvey fields it runs towards the bag(Heyward a step ahead)....but Duda broke off the bag as well to field the ball (it was Harveys ball IMHO, and he made the play) nobody covering first. Harvey picks up the ball and lobs it to an empty base.

Doofus McGoofus.

Just looked at ESPN, just to see where Harvey stands in potential Cy Young voting.  Obviously his numbers compare incredibly well (they're terrific across the board, truly), but what's also obvious is how much pitching is dominating the sports again (Sports Illustrated pointed this out back in April, but I'm sure others were onto this before that). 

I know there's sabes that flesh this stuff out better (accounting for ballparks, etc), but there's three starters with ERAs under 2.00 in the majors.  Then another 20 with ERAs under 3.00.  There's currently 63 starting pitchers total with ERAs under 4.00. 

In the year 2000, there was one starting pitcher with an ERA under 2.00, a whopping two more with ERAs under 3.00, and a total of just 20 starting pitchers with ERAs under 4.00. 

MLB hit .270 with a .345 OB% and a .782 OB+SLG as a league in 2000.  They're hitting .253 now, with a .316 OB% and a .716 OB+SLG.

So does what does that all mean? 

1) Obviously less 'roids in baseball is a beautiful thing...this is baseball as I remember it in the 80s.

2) David Wright can still be maddening and not clutch, but he really is better than we think (though nmig has never gotten on his case much, to be fair).

3) Time to retrain the brain to pre-roids standards.  Which means some pitchers' numbers aren't as great in 2013 as they would have been some time back, and vice-versa for hitters.

And Collins really seems to try to find reasons for Mets fans NOT to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Harvey gave you seven terrific innings.  Didn't have any reason to pitch any more innings today.

I'm with you guys...fire him.  Even if they don't lose.  Absolutely NO reason for Harvey to throw 116 pitches today, NONE.  I can't support a guy who is willing to burn out a cornerstone of the future for no reason that could possibly make sense. 

Great, two ERs on Harvey's record that didn't need to be there.  Are you watching this Captain Passive?  Is Terry still safe?

Hey Passive, want to begin to erase the perception of the Mets being amateur from the top down?  THEN FIRE COLLINS!  He's clearly not a part of your future, but keep letting him manage and he just might screw it up for you.

3 ER on Harvey's record that so did NOT need to be there. 

Passive, I know it seems to be a major chore to get you to do anything in 2013, but can you PLEASE for the love of GOD send Collins packing?!

I think Terry just killed whatever sympathy he had from Met fans, who thought he wasn't dealt a great hand, was in a tough situation, etc.  No wonder he couldn't get a job anywhere else in the majors since '99.  And was clearly a lame duck here since Day 1.

Good for Bobby.  That was a tough call.

Parnell about 14 hours too late

this seals it for me. Collins is lost, and he's stupid. I don't know if Backmas the future but he can't be much worse than this

Rumor is Captain Passive isn't a Backman supporter. 

What, did any of us really think the Mets were going to add an insurance run? 

Wright is 1-for-8 in this series...not much of a surprise.  He's hitting .209 with a .280 OB%, with 16 BB and 47 K against the Braves, since 2010.  And this is why Wright can be so maddening.  Just seems to have that way of disappearing when you really need him...