You Be Lou

Devils Pride 26

99 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Marty

• Overpay Brodeur to keep him around
    • Let him walk if he is asking too much

I'd rather give Marty one year at $5 million than two years at $2.5...but yeah I'd lean toward the side of overpaying too. Mainly because I wouldn't be able to stomach our idiot fans saying you suck and doing the Marty chant against him when whoever he went to comes in next season.

If Marty returned as a visiting player and our fanbase did the Marty chant I would be appalled. A big portion of our fan base seems to be moronic anyway, so I wouldn't be shocked by it.

Great organizations know when its time to cut bait w/ vertan players... Zach is far far more importrant to the future of the this club..

no more than $2.5Mil per for marty

Again, there is 0 chance he signs a deal for $2.5

NONE

Zach comes first. Assuming we keep Zach, give Marty what he wants. His value is high for us -- we'd overpay more for another big time goalie, and we need somebody to mentor Wedgewood. I'd just as soon have Marty do that in some capacity, both next year and after he retires.

I'd rather give Marty one year at $5 million than two years at $2.5...but yeah I'd lean toward the side of overpaying too. Mainly because I wouldn't be able to stomach our idiot fans saying you suck and doing the Marty chant against him when whoever he went to comes in next season.

As sad as it is to say, I can 100% see this happening. It would be fueled by the same fans who kept starting the "Rangers Suck" chants DURING THE STANLEY CUP FINAL games.

Back to the original question, I like how everyone is saying either "overpay him AFTER we re-sign Parise" or "overpay him, but JUST for 1 year." Okay, 1) if we are having a tough enough time solely trying to re-sign Parise, what makes you think we are going to somehow pull both of the deals off? 2) What if he DOES want to come back the next year, similar to Brett Favre? Are we going to tell him sorry, but it was just for that one year?

I would HATE to see Marty go anywhere else. But to be honest, if it's between him and Parise, it's a no brainer.

Look at the numbers, decide whether or not it fits in with the future of the Devils. If it doesn't, let him go. Try the best you can to keep him. He may be deciding to play only 1 more year for a bonanza. Our current priority is winning the cup while they have this team. Dont ignore the future if a deal cant be worked out. Still love ya, Marty!!