AHL Bench Clearing Brawl!

thefiestygoat

Guess with the NHL players gone, the AHL can go back to being the AHL, BS like this was why I wasn't crazy about our guys playing there.

You don't see this THAT often from the AHL. It's not like the KHL that has a goon team basically w/ Nasty Mirasty etc

You don't see this THAT often from the AHL. It's not like the KHL that has a goon team basically w/ Nasty Mirasty etc

Vityaz is actually attempting to play hockey now, those guys are gone. (Well, they have Trevor Gillies, but he only has 46 PIMS, which is low for Vityaz standards) Line brawls are cool and all, when goons square off with goons. But that turned into a circus when the benches cleared. Potshots and sucker-punches all over the place. I think I saw some choking too, that's always fun.

Too much bullsh!t just happens in AHL games, some of it's because the players just aren't at the level of NHL players and make bad decisions, but then you get stuff like that. The guys won't get hit like they would if it was in an NHL game. Especially since the NHL guys are gone now.

This. You used to see this more often 10 years ago, but the AHL has grown a lot calmer since then. Things can still get out of hand sometimes, especially during a blowout and/or if the refs are being even more incompetent than usual*, but it's nowhere near an everyday occurrence. It probably has something to do with the crackdowns on violence and fighting in recent years.

* - I could buy either theory; Grand Rapids had just scored to go up 6-3, and the AHL is just as much a development league for referees as it is for players, so there are often complaints about the quality of the officiating. Just like the NHL, the AHL has its refs who have a reputation for being completely rubbish.