2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

The 2009 team was built around running the football and defense. That team led the league in rushing, was top 5 in yards per carry, and 1st in yards against and points against (defensively). While Sanchez is a better QB now than he was then, the Jets' running game ranks near the bottom of the league this year, the offensive line has been crap, and the defense, while not awful, could be a lot better. They did just played 3 consecutive road games against tough teams, and I don't think too many people would say it's a big surprise they are just 2-3 when you looked at the schedule prior to the season beginning, but the problems look deeper than just a rough patch in their schedule. And with the Pats AND Bills being 4-1 and looking impressive, it's definitely difficult to not be a bit concerned. Things need to turn around, and it starts Monday night against Miami. No excuse for them not to beat up on the Dolphins.

Edited by nmigliore

Rex said he was gonna catch 90 passes...only came up about 80 short :P

I'm fine with the trade, especially since Mason was an *** and you really can't have that and be the #3 WR on a team (especially being a vet who can influence people), but the Jets are basically insulting everyone's intelligence here. Saying you would have kept him had Houston not called is ridiculous...so a conditional seventh-round pick was the difference between keeping him and sending him packing? Please, and saying it was because of performance was also disingenous at best.

If they were doing it to send a message, they certainly sent it half-heartedly. If you don't want to air dirty laundry just frigging admit a change was needed and end it at that. Don't try to invent an excuse, they pulled the same thing with the Braylon Edwards DUI and claimed they weren't allowed to suspend him when in fact they could have, just not taking his game check away, Mason would have had better numbers on a team where he wasn't the #3 WR and the OL wasn't getting Sanchez killed every five seconds.

I'm almost numb to all of this stuff now. You know when Rex first got here it was a shock. The bluster, the confidence...just unreal that a few months earlier these were the church mouse eric mangini jets. Now it's just blah, he's overplayed his hand. All I care about is production.

Even Masons BS(mouthing off the DB's after catching 4 yard passes in games where the Jets are down by 17) hey he was just following Rex's lead. On the field he wasn't being all that unproductive for a #3. However, he had no future here, no ability to stretch the field anymore...and Sanchez's safety valves are LT and Keller anyway.

Maybe this is the first sign of Rex pulling the reigns in a little and being more of a disciplinarian.

Edited by '7'

Would like us to maybe kick the tires of either Chris Chambers or TJ Houshmanzadeh

..you may be on to something with Houshmanzadeh. TJ's name keeps coming up, and I hear the Jets are interested. Especially with how Rex likes to sign former Ravens. If they do happen to make any moves, I expect it will be after the Miami game. With the Bye week after, any player the Jets may sign/trade for will have an extra week to get acclimated with the system.

They did just played 3 consecutive road games against tough teams, and I don't think too many people would say it's a big surprise they are just 2-3 when you looked at the schedule prior to the season beginning.

Bingo.

The Jets were dealt a tough hand here as far as scheduling, and now they're paying for it. I don't think if you asked any coach in the league @ the beginning of the season; "Hey, from Week 3 (September 25th) through Week 9 (November 6th) you're only going to have 2 home games." --that they would sign up for that. Despite the fact where/when the placement of the Bye week may be.

EDIT: (rant alert)

Over the last 3 months, I've been as hard on this team as a fan can get.

The miscalculation(s) from the front office, in attempting to "upgrade" both our defense & offense, have been wretched! To have the Jets get cheap NOW, coming off 2 back-to-back seasons where we were on the cusp of a Conference Title.. is inexcusable. No other way to put it.

However! --Now.. the entire media world has seemingly turned their backs' on Gang Green, and left them for dead. They've labeled them, categorized them, and are beginning to burry players (like Sanchez, Greene, etc) that they once praised. I can't pick up a newspaper anymore without reading something ultra negative regarding the team.

In a weird way this has drawn me closer to them. And now more that ever, I hope and pray that the 8-8 prediction I made for this team in the summer, couldn't be more wrong.

So to the detractors whom are secretly delighting in all of this.. I'm going to say one last thing, and then that'll be the end of it.

PLEASE... COUNT US OUT!

---------------------------------------------

This team has won 20 regular season games between 2009 & 2010. And here's a history lesson as to how it happened..

*2009 - Week 10: (Record 4-6) With a 4-6 record, there were some in the NY area that were already calling for Rex's head. We then finished the season, winning 6 of our last 7 games (from November 29th -to- January 17th) and found ourselves playing in a Championship.

*2010 - Week 2: (Record: 0-1) We started the season losing our first game of the year. We then went on a 10 game streak (from September 19th -to- December 1st) where we lost only 1 game. And like the season before, we finished 60 minutes shy from a Superbowl.

*2011 - Week 6: (Record 2-3) Like the last 2 years prior, we're at a point in the season where we're under .500 as a team.. and looking for answers. People are being cut/traded, fans are questioning the players, and no one has any hope. Same script.. same losing record.

I can't tell what's going to happen this season as the year unfolds. :noclue: Maybe they won't have that same storybook resurrection as they did in seasons past. Maybe they will. Not sure to be honest with you. I'm still sticking with 8-8. Which (in AFC this year) might be enough to make the playoffs.. who knows.

What I do know, is that this team has been here before. This coach, this QB, they've been here people. They know what it's like to play off that adversity, and they rise to the challenge when need be. They're a streaky bunch, and have proven time and time again.. when they're down, and they're losing, they're losing in bunches. However, when they're hot.. they're white hot.

So count us out now, make it public.. and we'll roll the dice and see what happens.

..just be sure to sign your name to whatever it is you say. ;)

19745-custom-ribbon-magnet-sticker-GO+JETS!.png

Edited by Beezer34

The Jets were dealt a tough hand here as far as scheduling, and now they're paying for it. I don't think if you asked any coach in the league @ the beginning of the season; "Hey, from Week 3 (September 25th) through Week 9 (November 6th) you're only going to have 2 home games." --that they would sign up for that. Despite the fact where/when the placement of the Bye week may be.

Please, stop whining, your schedule was not that bad, I've already listed other teams that have had to deal with "tough" schedules. The Bills play four out of five on the road from Nov 13 to Dec 11 (we'll find out plenty about them during those five weeks), and with no bye week to boot. You opened up with two home games. You now get two in a row. You'd the think the Jets were the first team to get saddled with a three-game road trip. Wah.

EDIT: (rant alert)

Over the last 3 months, I've been as hard on this team as a fan can get.

The miscalculation(s) from the front office, in attempting to "upgrade" both our defense & offense, have been wretched! To have the Jets get cheap NOW, coming off 2 back-to-back seasons where we were on the cusp of a Conference Title.. is inexcusable. No other way to put it.

However! --Now.. the entire media world has seemingly turned their backs' on Gang Green, and left them for dead. They've labeled them, categorized them, and are beginning to burry players (like Sanchez, Greene, etc) that they once praised. I can't pick up a newspaper anymore without reading something ultra negative regarding the team.

In a weird way this has drawn me closer to them. And now more that ever, I hope and pray that the 8-8 prediction I made for this team in the summer, couldn't be more wrong.

So to the detractors whom are secretly delighting in all of this.. I'm going to say one last thing, and then that'll be the end of it.

PLEASE... COUNT US OUT!

This team has won 20 regular season games between 2009 & 2010. And here's a history lesson as to how it happened..

*2009 - Week 10: (Record 4-6) With a 4-6 record, there were some in the NY area that were already calling for Rex's head. We then finished the season, winning 6 of our last 7 games (from November 29th -to- January 17th) and found ourselves playing in a Championship.

*2010 - Week 2: (Record: 0-1) We started the season losing our first game of the year. We then went on a 10 game streak (from September 19th -to- December 1st) where we lost only 1 game. And like the season before, we finished 60 minutes shy from a Superbowl.

*2011 - Week 6: (Record 2-3) Like the last 2 years prior, we're at a point in the season where we're under .500 as a team.. and looking for answers. People are being cut/traded, fans are questioning the players, and no one has any hope. Same script.. same losing record.

I can't tell what's going to happen this season as the year unfolds. :noclue: Maybe they won't have that same storybook resurrection as they did in seasons past. Maybe they will. Not sure to be honest with you. I'm still sticking with 8-8. Which (in AFC this year) might be enough to make the playoffs.. who knows.

What I do know, is that this team has been here before. This coach, this QB, they've been here people. They know what it's like to play off that adversity, and they rise to the challenge when need be. They're a streaky bunch, and have proven time and time again.. when they're down, and they're losing, they're losing in bunches. However, when they're hot.. they're white hot.

So count us out now, make it public.. and we'll roll the dice and see what happens.

..just be sure to sign your name to whatever it is you say. ;)

19745-custom-ribbon-magnet-sticker-GO+JETS!.png

I agree in that this is the main reason I think giving up on the Jets is dangerous...the team may be different, but Rex has coached this team through adversity before. I wouldn't write them off.

Shonn Greene's gonna sit if he keeps playing like this. It is not all the O-line's fault that he cannot get it together. He does not turn it up the field and attack open spaces like a man of his size should. He's either hurt or just plain ineffective.

Note that last night, Greene got most of his yards when the Dolphins were already beaten.

Did anyone else notice Kenrick Ellis last night? He made his NFL debut and looked pretty good recording a few tackles, one of which was for a loss. With the Jets' run defense looking a little suspect (132 yards against per game), I wouldn't be surprised if he was utilized more often. I think this comparison has been use before, but he reminds me some of a Kris Jenkins type of DT.

Did anyone else notice Kenrick Ellis last night? He made his NFL debut and looked pretty good recording a few tackles, one of which was for a loss. With the Jets' run defense looking a little suspect (132 yards against per game), I wouldn't be surprised if he was utilized more often. I think this comparison has been use before, but he reminds me some of a Kris Jenkins type of DT.

That was a decent debut for him.

Supposedly Revis and Francesa had a big blow-up interview that ended with Revis hanging up on him. Hahahaha. I have to hear this. Please someone post a link if you find one.

Edit: here it is -- http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2Fredirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2Fd0%2Fd0%2FdZ%2Fd1%2FdL%2FdF%2FZ1LF_3.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5561594259604811554_zuCm4fvJpL4g2Q0C9zcdYLAbpZA&podcast_name=Darrelle+Revis+-+With+Mike+Francesa&podcast_artist=Mike+Francesa&station_id=91&tag=&dcid=CBS.NY

Nevermind, I guess... not really a blow-up. Just Mike being stupid (I love how he kept going on and on about the Revis/Marshall contact and how it wasn't called) and then the Jets' PR man instructing Revis to hang up. I was expecting better fireworks.

Edited by nmigliore

Supposedly Revis and Francesa had a big blow-up interview that ended with Revis hanging up on him. Hahahaha. I have to hear this. Please someone post a link if you find one.

Edit: here it is -- http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2Fredirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2Fd0%2Fd0%2FdZ%2Fd1%2FdL%2FdF%2FZ1LF_3.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5561594259604811554_zuCm4fvJpL4g2Q0C9zcdYLAbpZA&podcast_name=Darrelle+Revis+-+With+Mike+Francesa&podcast_artist=Mike+Francesa&station_id=91&tag=&dcid=CBS.NY

Nevermind, I guess... not really a blow-up. Just Mike being stupid (I love how he kept going on and on about the Revis/Marshall contact and how it wasn't called) and then the Jets' PR man instructing Revis to hang up. I was expecting better fireworks.

Imagine Fatso beating something into the ground and repeating himself ad-nauseum. Seems like such a stretch...

Did fatso grill Justin Tuck the day after the Giants/Cardinals game, the same way he went after Revis today? Even a blind man could tell Cruz fumbled the ball, and all Francesa said to Tuck was; "I can see why Cruz was ruled down." Furthermore, that was more of a game changing play than the Revis pick.

The Jets still win that game against Miami even if pass interference is called. The Giants lose that game in Arizona, and are a 3-3 team. And somehow Fat Mike spent ZERO time dissecting the Cruz fumble.. yet has seemingly been screaming foul all week regarding the Marshall/Revis play.

He is a Jet hatting, Giants apologist.. and good for the Jets in instructing Revis to leave Mike with his d!ck in his hand.

EDIT: -- "See, this is the reason why nobody wants to be interviewed by him." LOL.. my favorite line.

Edited by Beezer34

Apparently at one point Revis told him he knew nothing about football lmao. The funny part was Revis was the one Jet Tank did kiss up to, and then he made a crack afterward about this is why he doesn't have any Jets on his show :rofl:

The funny thing is, I thought Revis handled it pretty well...he never really sounded irritated, and was actually laughing...his quotes come across a lot harsher in the paper and out of context than they did over the radio. But you could tell he had reached the point of "I'm not going admit it could or should have been PI, let's move on." And Fasto, who fancies himself a take-no-guff Noo Yawker (part of the reason he emphasizes his stupid Noo Yawk accent) refused to let it go, thinking he was going to "break" Revis somehow.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well that was the first time in five weeks of watching the Jets it felt like the last two years. Finally they showed some resilience and the running game/defense resembled what it used to be.

Love the stat line for Burress, 25 yards and 3 TD's lol, usually you only see RB's get vulture TD's :lol:

Revis with another big play this week, god I wonder how long before the next holdout :P

Totally unexpected win

Awful job with penalties today, both teams. Lots of blatant holds, boneheaded illegal man downfields, tons of holds on punts by the jets on the chargers gunners...ugly effort by both clubs.

Sanchez was good, B+ performance. Missed some guys early in the game that were wide open, and not sure who was to blame on that redzone INT heading Plax's way (thought burress should've turned himself around earlier) but Plax more than redeemed himelf later. Sanchez made the clutch throws that he needed to make

Eric Smith...ugh out of position all game, let guys run free behind him.

A semblance of a running game. No worries about LT, sounded like a stomach bug. Worried about the ACL when Greene went down but he came back like a play later.

Tremendous job of coverage late in the game, early on Rivers was converting 3rds pretty much at will.

Sanchez with 3 TD's.. Greene 100+ yrds.. a Revis pick.. THAT'S Jets football.

It's a shame the Jets couldn't find a way to beat Oakland back in Week 3. I don't even mind the Patriots/Ravens games so much, but that game against the Raiders may haunt the Jets all year. That was a game the Jets let slip away. Could you imagine the Jets being 5-2 going into the Bye @ this point? It changes the perspective of the season entirely.

Oh well, at least Fat Man Francesa's gotta chew on this for 2 weeks. finger.gif

Other notes from the game..

*Aaron Maybin.. Just wow! The guy's got 3 forced fumbles and 3 sacks, in 4 games. Who would've expected that?

*Revis & Cromartie.. what a combo. The media can bash Cro all they want, the fact remains.. he adds to Revis' game. 7 interceptions combined.

*Plaxico! You gotta go back to September 9th, 2007 as the last game Burress had 3 TD's or more. Hell of game.

They did just played 3 consecutive road games against tough teams, and I don't think too many people would say it's a big surprise they were 2-3 when you looked at the schedule prior to the season beginning.

You know, it was tough at first to endure the losing record from a couple weeks back.. but I think if we all had foresight @ the beginning of the year, we should've expected that stretch was going to be a rough one. I think if you were to have asked a Jet fan if they'd be happy going into Week 9, with only 3 losses.. they'd sign up for that.

If you look at the remaining games objectively (and I know anything can happen in the NFL) but the Jets should finish with about 9-10 wins. They still have an excellent shot @ the playoffs.

Even if you want to say; "the Jets should lose to New England, Philadelphia, and the Giants" ..you gotta think that they should beat Miami, Denver, KC, and Buffalo. (at least 1x) --That would give the Jets 8 wins, with 2 games (Bills & Redskins) still to play.

It would take tiebreakers, but I could totally see the Jets @ 10-6 possibly making the playoffs.

--------------

EDIT: Talk about "addition by subtraction" (and I know it's only 2 games) ..but how do you feel right now if you're Derrick Mason? :whistling:

Edited by Beezer34

I posted my quick thoughts in the NFL Week 7 thread, but one thing I've been impressed with on the defensive side of things is the play of Aaron Maybin. He hasn't even started a single game this season but is tied with Calvin Pace for the team lead in sacks with 3. That's the same Aaron Maybin who recorded 0 sacks in a pair of seasons with the Bills. Yep. The Jets don't seem crazy for Jamaal Westerman -- Rich Cimini of ESPN New York claims he was benched for part of today's game -- so I do at least wonder how long before we see Maybin starting games and/or getting more snaps. It's hard not to be impressed with how well he's rushed the passer when he's gotten in there.

a_lcirc_1112.jpg

http://www.jetnation.com/2011/10/23/randy-mcmichael-their-secondary-isnt-anything/

"I’m not giving credit to anybody. This is our fault. Nothing to do with them. Nothing to do with the play calling. We took our foot off the gas pedal, and we lost because of it. Their (the Jets) secondary isn’t anything. It’s our fault. It had nothing to do with anyone on their team. The guys in this locker room, we lost the game. It’s our fault. You can ask any question you want to ask. The San Diego Chargers beat the San Diego Chargers. Nothing to do with the New York Jets. It’s embarrassing, but it is what it is. We have more games to play. We’ll get ready to play whoever we play Sunday (Kansas City). They won, but I’m not giving them credit. I’m taking the credit away from us." --Randy McMichael.

..I love it. :D

a_lcirc_1112.jpg

This coming from someone who whined about the Jets' sched more than once.

Not surprised the Jets aren't dead (and even if they had lost to the Chargers, I wouldn't have written them off)...they've shown the ability to survive under Rex. Kudos to them for getting it done. I'm not taking any credit away from the Jets, but the second half reaffirmed two beliefs a lot of football fans share: Norv Turner is not a good head coach, despite a very good win % with San Diego, and Philip Rivers is overrated. Tony Dungy broke down San Diego's stupidity on the Chargers' last possession, and it spoke volumes.

Jets have some lay-ups on their sched (and they've shown that they take care of biz against the bad teams):

Miami and Denver: no way the Jets don't win both of those games...they may not be A+ type wins, but they'll get it done one way or another. That's 6 wins.

Wash and KC: these aren't gimmes, but I still think the Jets take both of these games as well. KC couldn't have been less impressive against Oakland, despite the 28-0, 6-INT win. 8 wins.

So to get to 10, they have to win 2 out of 2X Buffalo, NE, Philly, and the NY Giants. Not really that tall an order...Buffalo is showing signs of coming back to earth, and if the Pats hadn't gotten absurdly pass-happy and greedy against them, they're a .500 team. I think the Jets win at least one of their games against the Bills, but it wouldn't surprise me if they took both. But if they only win one, then they have to find a way to win just one out of three against NE, Philly, or the Giants. I think they'll do that.

So yeah, 10 wins is not at all unrealistic.

I haven't seen a two-minute drill that bad since the days of Herm and Hackett :giggle:

That was comically bad. Even if they had run it correctly, they still may not have scored, but they gave themselves no chance to win the game.

That was comically bad. Even if they had run it correctly, they still may not have scored, but they gave themselves no chance to win the game.

I forgot where the I read the stat, but the Chargers passing offense has heavily involved the pair of RB's (Mathews and Tolbert) to the point where the 2 backs may have historic receiving seasons. Clearly that strategy didn't work at all in the final minute and a half or whatever it was. And what was Rivers thinking throwing the ball away on 4th down? Did he forget what down it was? It was like a baseball player forgetting how many outs there were. :P

Edited by nmigliore

What was Rivers thinking throwing the ball away on 4th down? Did he forget what down it was? It was like a baseball player forgetting how many outs there were. :P

The guy's been playing how long and he does THAT? That was as rookie as it gets.

And it just goes to show how misleading passer ratings can be...Rivers has a career passer rating of 95.9. (His playoff rating is considerably lower, at 79.2). Brady is at 95.6 (85.7 playoff), Peyton is at 94.9 (88.4 playoff). Is ANYONE putting Rivers in Brady's and Manning's class? No way.