2012 NHL Draft

thefiestygoat

We HAVE to be cooking up some sort of trade IMO, why else on Earth would we not give up the 29th pick. In Lou we trust. :koolaid:

I have to agree with this. However, I just can't imagine that a Devils 1st round pick in this years draft holds a lot of weight in a trade. I don't think Lou would hold off on giving the pick up this year unless he already had been talking with someone and they had specifically asked for that pick to be on the table or he had been planning to attempt to trade up already. In Lou we trust. :koolaid:

Edited by NJDevils1214

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NHL Numbers: 2012 NHL DRAFT TOP 100 - JUNE UPDATE: YAKUPOV IS UNANIMOUS

The sources for the consensus list are Bob McKenzie, Redline Report, Future Considerations, ISS, Craig Button, Hockey Prospectus, The Scouting Report, and Win Shares via Nick, A.K.A. Mathletic. Their prior records are used to establish a weighting so that the opinions of the more accurate (McKenzie and Button) have more value than the opinions of the less accurate.

The Hockey Writers: 2012 NHL Draft: The Next Ones Final Rankings

A lot of info, links, and a top 150 ranking in that post.

I gotta work Friday night... who wants to be the awesome, fabulous individual to text me when the devils make a move/draft and any other big news?

:uni: :uni: :hail: :hail: :pray: :pray:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

If you are facebook friends with NJDevs you will see any moves quickly. Unless you got an old style phone

NHL.com has an Atlantic Division preview for the draft:

Draft Preview

Devils greatest needs:

Biggest Need: The Devils are in a position where they can address their needs at center and wing through free agency and trades. They'll likely fortify those areas in this year's draft as well. If Salvador does not re-sign, look for the Devils to target a defender in the draft with shutdown tendencies to complement the more offensively minded Larsson. It's possible the organization may draft another player in goal. Right now, the top three goalie prospects within the organization are Scott Wedgewood, Keith Kinkaid and Jeff Frazee.

Possible targets:

Possible Targets: Tomas Hertl, C, Slavia (Czech Republic); Scott Laughton, C, Oshawa (OHL); Brady Skjei, D, USA U-18 (USHL); Oscar Dansk, G, Brynas Jr. (Sweden)

My opinion is the Devils need Subban out of this draft. They have a hell of a defensive group of prospects all they lack now is goaltending depth. I'm not sold on Wedgewood. If he ends up panning out there is nothing wrong with having two good goaltenders. Subban apparently put on a good show at the combine so he'll probably go well before 29 but if he's on the table he should be a Devil. Solidifying their end of the ice should be priority number 1. Subban is going to be the real deal.

McKeens Mock Draft at Rotoworld

29. New Jersey - Malcolm Subban (G)

Amazingly Subban did not pick up the position until he was 12 however he has the reflexes, athleticism and skills to be a potential starter in the NHL. Missed a bulk of the season with several nagging injuries but still managed to lead the OHL in many statistical categories. Belleville played considerably different with him in the pipes as he has the ability to steal games. It’s a bit of a surprise that the Devils kept this pick as they have to surrender a number one pick in the next three years as punishment for the irregularities in the signing of Ilya Kovalchuk two years ago but if Subban is still available in this spot, it’s a steal.

Future Considerations: Wildcards Getting It Right

Future Considerations: FC’S SCOUT SERIES: DAN STEWART (SCOUTING DIRECTOR)

My most impressive draft eligible this season and the one with a very high NHL upside is Sault Ste. Marie goalie Matt Murray. His season started strong as he was top guy in the Soo and playing like it, until the Jack Campbell trade with Windsor that really shook his confidence.

His frame, at over six-foot-four, and athleticism are extremely high end and he brings a strong work ethic to the table as well. Rated 41st overall for the 2012 NHL draft, Murray has had his high points and his low points of the season but for pure upside he is one of the top prospects in my book.

Livingston, NJ's own Nick Ebert was his most disappointing prospect.

The United States of Hockey: Top 15 Americans Part 1 and 2

My opinion is the Devils need Subban out of this draft. They have a hell of a defensive group of prospects all they lack now is goaltending depth. I'm not sold on Wedgewood. If he ends up panning out there is nothing wrong with having two good goaltenders. Subban apparently put on a good show at the combine so he'll probably go well before 29 but if he's on the table he should be a Devil. Solidifying their end of the ice should be priority number 1. Subban is going to be the real deal.

I'll be much more comfortable if Lou/Conte decide to go with Subban, Vasilevski or Dansk. One of those three (especally Subban) + Wedge in our system would be money. If anything I'm not sold on Kinky - although he's had far from a real chance to prove himself.

But if the Devils decide to draft anything other then a RWer or goalie I'll be shocked. Out of all the prospects thus far and from what I've seen I personally really like Sissons. Seems to have the most upside out of all the forwards/RWers that will most likely be available around then (Sissons, Frk, Maidens, Fox)

Then again I'm not involved in scouting so...

Edited by TheMazz

About Subban

Dude from Red Line Report in interview with Puck Daddy

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-chats-nhl-draft-guru-kyle-woodlief-155629235--nhl.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What about another interesting name: Goalie Malcolm Subban?

I had Malcolm Subban going to New Jersey at No. 29, but he's not in our top 60.

We don't like him. He's got a terrible, terrible glove hand. As athletic and acrobatic as he is, there are a lot of holes in his game. He over-commits on every play, he's terrible handling the puck behind his net and confuses his defensemen.

I don't know anything about the kid, but if Subban is 1/2 the head case that his brother is, I stay away from him at all costs.

From what I've read, the real worry with him is his injury history (recurring groin injury) and the lack of real coaching (started playing goal at age 12).

I think that's an understandable viewpoint. To me, it seems like out of the big 3 in goal (Subban, Vasilevski, Dansk), he has the highest reward but highest risk. Like I said earlier, some more experience in goal and real coaching could propel his career. I'm interested to see which of these goalies goes first.

From what I've read, the real worry with him is his injury history (recurring groin injury) and the lack of real coaching (started playing goal at age 12).

I think that's an understandable viewpoint. To me, it seems like out of the big 3 in goal (Subban, Vasilevski, Dansk), he has the highest reward but highest risk. Like I said earlier, some more experience in goal and real coaching could propel his career. I'm interested to see which of these goalies goes first.

Not being argumentative, but how does he represent the "highest reward"? I would say Vasilevski offers that. The Russian thing is what is against him considering the history of high profile Russian goaltenders in the past.

Not being argumentative, but how does he represent the "highest reward"? I would say Vasilevski offers that. The Russian thing is what is against him considering the history of high profile Russian goaltenders in the past.

I'm going off what I've read from various draft guides so my opinion certainly isn't fact. I could be wrong but to me from everything I've read, it seems Subban is the most athletic out of the 3 and has already made a lot of progress considering his late start. With some quality coaching, the sky is the limit. From what I've gathered, Vasilevski has had his father (former Russian pro) coaching him his whole life and is very technically sound but could have some inconsistency issues. This isn't a big deal but Subban is more used to the NA game as Vasilevski is still in Russia. I think there upside is very, very close but I just personally feel like Subban has a slight edge in upside. Vasilevski could make more sense since his upside is high and is less of a risk compared to Subban. I'd be thrilled with either (or Dansk).

Edited by thefiestygoat