GDT: Wings @ Devils 7PM 1st Meeting as Eastern Conference Foes

ThreeCups

That ref better hope fans don't find his car. He better get disciplinary action by the league. That was clearly a guess call and not based on reality. The ref was completely wrong on that play, and he cost us a goal. you can blame that one on the ref.

The Devils were probably not scoring anyway...but you can't make that call that late in a 1 goal game unless you're 100% sure. This is a call you can get away with in the 1st period, but doing this here is amateur hour. I hope the NHL reprimands this bozo

I don't know why anyone is down on PDB after this game, we don't have scoring talent. I like his system it IS creating chances, we just don't bury them. The one knock on pete has been his terrible management of personnel, I have no complaints with who he went with tonight. Unless you are from an alternate reality where this was the game brunner started producing and had 2 goals.

And for bigz roasting Henrique, Henrique was basically robbed by a ridiculous behind the back no look save, barring a heroic goal tending effort there he would have scored. He is clearly a little hurt but there are people I would be more quick to bench then him. And that last goal, I mean that was threaded through such a small space that could have happened to everyone on our roster.

The call was downright awful and while it cost the devils an opportunity to tie it up, the devils simply have to play better. They were always at least a step behind the red wings players and the fact that they got those penalties such as hooking and slashing really shows the devils were just panicking just to catch up.

Tomorrow is a big game against not only a division rival but a team ahead of them. They really need those two points and hopefully best them in regulation.

WRONG.

A goalkeeper shall not play the puck outside of the designated area behind the net. Should the goalkeeper play the puck outside of the designated area behind the goal line, a minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed. The determining factor shall be the position of the puck.

Well then..that ref screwed up. He was thinking what I was thinking.

It's a rare penalty to begin with.

Anyway...the Devils played a team that had two of the best players in the world out with injury and mustered 11 shots. They're a joke. They hung Corey out to dry on every goal that was scored and that's why they lost.

Also Debour is an idiot. Really..you would rather start Brodeur tomorrow? He is handling these goalies the way he handles most of the young talent...WRONG.

Edited by BigZ

And for bigz roasting Henrique, Henrique was basically robbed by a ridiculous behind the back no look save, barring a heroic goal tending effort there he would have scored. He is clearly a little hurt but there are people I would be more quick to bench then him. And that last goal, I mean that was threaded through such a small space that could have happened to everyone on our roster.

Youre not honestly trying to defend Henrique are you? His giveaway vs Montreal cost us the win, and his poor marking on the gwg was costly. He hasnt done anything in a long time

27.8 Restricted Area – A goalkeeper shall not play the puck outside of the designated area behind the net. This area shall be defined by lines that begin six feet (6’) from either goal post and extend diagonally to points twenty-eight feet (28’) apart at the end boards. Should the goalkeeper play the puck outside of the designated area behind the goal line, a minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed. The determining factor shall be the position of the puck. The minor penalty will not be assessed when a goalkeeper plays the puck while maintaining skate contact with his goal crease.

I got that from the NHL website. The last two sentences are kind of contradictory. If it's the position of the puck that matters... what does the goalies skate in the crease matter?

Anyway, just my opinion but the Devils have way too many moving parts in their game right now. They spend so much energy grinding the puck behind the goal line, and so much time thinking with the puck. This obsession with getting pucks to the point ALL THE TIME takes our forwards' skills out of the game. They played better than 11 shots, but you have to get the puck to the net. 

I like Pete Deboer as a coach, but it may be time for someone else. Or at least time to reconsider the way we play in the opponents end because it feels like luck every time we score.

Edited by devils102

Youre not honestly trying to defend Henrique are you? His giveaway vs Montreal cost us the win, and his poor marking on the gwg was costly. He hasnt done anything in a long time

+1 +1 +1

To some extent yea I will defend Henrique. Much like zajac he does a lot of good defensive work for us, which is grossly underappreciated on this forum (but ironically enough if he messed up you roast him for that). Obviously his turnover on wed led to the game tieing goal, but at the same time there was a lot more at play that resulted in that goal then just Henrique coughing up the puck. For instance go watch that subban slew foot on elias and watch as the puck goes right by elias stick to the point because of it.

Henrique is obviously hurt, probably came back to quickly but why anyone thinks he's the reason we are losing these games is beyond me. Tonight was the entire teams fault, they looked worse tonight than when they played the kings and Anaheim. I would actually attribute it to the fact that they have been playing on overclock mode for the past 5 or so games, they just looked exhausted out there. unfortunately its not getting any better with our crazy schedule.

Also that line of bernier elias Henrique just has no chemistry what so ever. I don't expect any of them to produce like that.

Edited by Sneax

I have no complaints with who he went with tonight. Unless you are from an alternate reality where this was the game brunner started producing and had 2 goals.

gotcha

Meh, games like this happen.  You get 10 a year.  The Devils haven't had one of these in a while.  It can't spread to tomorrow, though.

Agree that Henrique has to pick his game up.  NJ keeps switching him from center to wing because he's just not able to get things going.

Edited by Triumph

Well, at least my daughter got to see a goal at a Devils game this year.  That's one in three games.  Outstanding.

Out of 30 games, the Devils have now scored one or less in 11 of them.  Awesomeness. 

I'm not losing my optimism, but my patience with this bunch is wearing thin.  11 friggin' shots on goal in 60 minutes?  fvcking really?!

I would blame the schedule for this loss (10 games in 17 days with a West Coast swing thrown in is absolutely ridiculous), if not for Pete's horrendous roster management.  When you have four forwards that play >12 minutes and bench Loiktionov - who barely played above 12 minutes - it shouldn't come as much of a surprise when the few guys you do trust and run into the ground finally energy crash.

sometimes, even when the moves you make have reason, they just don't work out. i don't hate the roster construction - it makes a lot of sense. these guys just do not produce - that's all there is to it.

the problem isn't that the 4th line doesn't score. but when you dress janssen and then have to shorten your bench. when you choose not to trust josefson - you burn out jagr (who again looked bad after the first 5 minutes) and there's just nothing there.

zajac is playing well - he just doesn't score.

elias has not played well.

henrique not only isn't scoring, but he's playing poorly in all 3 zones.

zidlicky should shoot himself.

and the PP needs to get completely thrown out - there's just no fvcking clue there.

they played well for 40 minutes in montreal. they dominated the worst team in the league in the sabres and won 1-0 in OT.

guys - this is just not a good team and it's going to be a frustrating season. for every step forward, its 2-3 steps back.